Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times

Advertisements

The downtown plaza was truly a magical place at Xmas time when I was a kid. I was 10 in 1945, and for the life of me can't recall if the magic occurred during the war years. Anyone know?

Our family Xmas 'outing' included eating supper at White's Cafeteria on Oregon, right across from where the towering Xmas tree was always placed in those days. After supper the family would walk the pathways in the park, registering all of the colorfully lit displays.

My dad had his office on the 7th floor of the Mills Building in those days and I used to enjoy looking out of his office windows at all the bustle of the plaza on ordinary days.

My Saturday afternoons were often spent watching a matinee at one of the three movie theaters I was permitted to attend - Plaza, Ellanay or Wigwam. As I grew older, my buddies and I would sneak over to Juarez after the movie to indulge in what young men in those days indulged themselves in. Drugs were never something I experienced, but we wouldn't be off the bridge two steps before someone was hustling us with "dirty comic books" or tempting us to "come meet my seester, meester!"

I swam naked (as all males were required to do) in the basement swimming pool of the YMCA, on the corner across from the public library. Windows high up at street level were often open so young girls waiting for a bus there got their giggles watching us swim.

I rode the MESITA bus to and from the plaza and lived on MESITA street, which was the last street in the El Paso city limits at the time.

My granddad and his son (my uncle) were both dentists sharing an office on the third floor of the Roberts Banner Bldg, from where the family would gather to watch the Sunbowl Parade - on NEW YEAR'S DAY back then. My dentist uncle shares the honor of being called the "Father of the Sunbowl," along with a fellow dentist who came up with the actual name for the bowl.

And everyone had an excuse for being late to an appointment. "Got caught by a couple of trains!" since the railroad tracks weren't depressed in a ditch as they are today and anyone coming/going downtown had to wait the passing of the many trains that came through El Paso daily. The worst waits were when they were 'switching' cars, meaning the train kept going back and forth, all the while blocking the streets.

Nuff for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,626 times
I thought to give my two cents worth if were going down memory lane. I recall riding the Highland Park bus to town and see a movie for twelve cents. The bus ride was six cents round trip. The movie theatres were the Plaza, Texas Grand, Wigwam, The Ellanay and The Colon which showed only Spanish movies. the Pershing theaater was in Five Points. The best place to eat was at the Coney Island Hot Dog Place across from the Alligator Plaza.For entertainment we would ride the street cars all over town. Even rode across the bridge to Juarez and back. Then you could get a bus transfer and ride all over town for hardly any money. From scenic drive you could see Loretto Academy out in the desert. There was nothing east of there but barren desert for as far as you could see. We also rode the lower valley busses every chance we got. The busses we rode were Red but the sign on the back said Blue Bird. We used to sing out the "Blue Bird Bus is Red" Really fine memories of the past.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangluvr View Post
The movie theatres were the Plaza, Texas Grand, Wigwam, The Ellanay and The Colon which showed only Spanish movies. the Pershing theaater was in Five Points.
I have been trying to recall the name of the theater that was located across from the NE corner of the plaza, at Mesa and Franklin streets??? I seldom ever was in there, and the main memory of the interior is of "balconies (plural)" or something odd about the balcony. The other memory is of a rather tawdry interior.

There was also a theater on Alameda, not far from the intersection with N. Piedras. Perhaps "The Palace?" And Liberty Hall was the venue in the downtown area where the El Paso symphony performed.

The original Leo's Mexican restaurant was not far from Liberty Hall. And even before I recall Leo's, there was another popular Mexican place patronized by all of El Paso on the south side of downtown. Anyone know the name?

My first pair of cowboy boots came from the "original" himself, Tony Lama, who personally made them for me in his small shop on the south side of downtown. People who didn't know better would often buy much cheaper boots in Juarez, made from largely un-tanned leather. Talk about smelly feet!!! Incidentally, I attended El Paso High School with both Tony Lama jr. and his younger brother Lily Lama.

Eric Hilton - of hotel fame - was also in school with me and I recall when his brother Nicky married Liz. Eric claimed to not have washed his cheek where she kissed him for days afterward. Newsman Sam Donaldson attended grade school with me at the old Dudley School in Kern Place. I was in the last class to graduate from Dudley before it was condemned and razed when the spanking new Mesita Elementary was constructed.

Another memory of fond times was when the White House Dept. store (located next to the Plaza theater) became the first store in town with escalators. We kids would play "tag" chasing each other (quietly) up and down them. I don't recall ever having had anyone scold us for our playing on them.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,495 times
I heard the coney island reopend near UTEP ,anyone been there, and if so do the hotdogs taste the same???

Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
I heard the coney island reopend near UTEP ,anyone been there, and if so do the hotdogs taste the same???
It sure did. The daughter of the original owner opened up a Coney Island on Executive (I believe). I plan on going during the weekend.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,495 times
Mista, let us know how it goes and tastes

Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Wasn't the theater that joqua was talking about the Crawford? I seem to remember that as one of the movie venues downtown. I also remember the original Oasis by the Plaza Theater. There also used to be the Mills restaurant next to the Oasis there and they had the room that is now the bar in the Plaza that had stars in it as well. Nobody has said anything about the Crown Room in the White House. That was quite a fancy place to eat lunch or desert. My mother was too cheap to pay for parking so we parked in the White House Parking lot on Santa Fe next to the Railroad underground tracks. You could have your ticket stamped at the WH for free. It was quite a hike, especially from the Popular. I also remember the Russell Stover's candy store on Mesa below the plaza. It had those purple mirrors on the outside. How about the TriState Music company with the piano up in the air with sparkles on it on Mesa where the Continental Bank is now. The underground bathrooms at the Plaza always scared me, plus they smelled. Who knows what went on in there. LOL The American Furniture Store at the end of Texas St. was a high class place as well. Mom bought several pieces of furniture there. There also was Michele's Magic Shop where the Camino Real is now. My brother and I bought several scale model cars there. The place was a hole in the wall but filled to the rafters. LOL My parents bought a couple of cars from Watkins Chevrolet on San Antoinio ?? It is where the Civic Center is now.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Wasn't the theater that joqua was talking about the Crawford?
THANK YOU! That's the one. Address, according to what I can find on the internet, was 403 N. Mesa and dated back to 1906.

And thank you for the other mentioned entities in your post. I envy people with such sharp memories. Mine are not as good but as with many people, I am reminded when a familiar place name is mentioned.

I feel sure there are probably some later publications on El Paso and its history, but the one I still treasure is Frank Mangan's: El Paso In Pictures, 1971. It is long out of print but has both historical and more contemporary photos.

Anyone want to recommend more recent books in the same vein?

I thought I'd toss in that I was born in the "original" Providence Hospital that was located on Prospect St. where it intersects the IH-10 corridor. The building was demolished to make room for the freeway. Another memory is Patterson Photo Supply on Oregon St. a block from the downtown Plaza. I mention it only because in the 1950s the owners, the Pattersons (man and wife), disappeared, never to be seen again and leaving a lasting mystery that to this day remains. There was never a clue as to what might have befallen them, or at least not one that ever checked out. Their home was on Piedmont St in Kern Place and still standing.

Last edited by joqua; 11-27-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Yes, the mystery of the Patterson's was always fascinating to my family. I understood they were very nice, church going people. Wasn't there the Martin Funeral Home on either Mesa or Oregon that had pillars in front and a blue light on them that was taken out by the freeway? I played my first piano recital at the El Paso Piano Co. on Franklin st. and Stanton. My mother worked for Southern Pacific for many years but started out at the SP building which was right across from the EP Piano Co. That building later became the ABC bank building. I forgot what it is now. My dad worked at the Main Post Office downtown as well. There used to be many furniture stores between San Antonio and Paisano. My mother bought dining room furniture at the Imperial Furniture store. They carried Drexel which this set was. Just rambling, Joqua. LOL BTW, we have that Frank Mangan book. Really interesting, especially to my daughter.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 AM

Location: Cornudas TX better known as Glory Land east of Paradise
120 posts, read 235,797 times
Mandy the mule, the lucky boy hamburger across from the plaza, the palace theater, El Paso Street was the place to see all the sights and all the movie houses and all the good food on El Paso Street. Those were the days, a slower life back then people enjoyed the better things in life.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso