Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,867,964 times

Advertisements

Was it the Valley Theater on Alameda and Corbin? It wasn't a big theater but my grandparents lived on Anita Circle which was about a block or so from there. They had a house on Valencia when I was born but moved later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,172,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Was it the Valley Theater on Alameda and Corbin?
I think that's probably right. And I believe the building may still be there, now known as "The Naked Harem" nightclub.

That being the case, I still haven't seen anyone name the theater that was once on the NW corner of San Marcial and Alameda (The Palace???). The former theater building is still standing but has no current identification on it.

PS Both of the old buildings on Alameda are identifiable from the old theater marquees which are still in place.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,141,107 times
Anyone remember back in the 80s or earlier a club downtown (it may have been near the YMCA) whose sign said "GoGo" on it? I never had the chance to go in there and forgot the exact name of the business. Also, does anyone know what is in its spot nowadays?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM

I remember Newberry, Kress and McCrory, but the alligators in the bus plaza were before my time. When and why did they quit having them there? Also, the Plaza theater was closed down by the time I came along, although I'm aware that it's been reopened now. I remember this barber shop between that theater and the bus plaza (was it called Ruly's?) The old man working there always stared at me when I walked by. If I had known that those 5 and dimes wouldn't have stayed open much longer, I would've gone in there more often. Other than those, it was just the wholesale and retail stores catering to shoppers from Juarez.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Anyone remember back in the 80s or earlier a club downtown (it may have been near the YMCA) whose sign said "GoGo" on it? I never had the chance to go in there and forgot the exact name of the business. Also, does anyone know what is in its spot nowadays?
I don't recall "go go." By old YMCA building - are you referring to when it was on Oregon St.? The old building was torn down to make room for a bank parking lot (probably in the 1950s) when the new YMCA was built on Montana Ave, and that building is now no longer a YMCA either.

Quote:
.... the alligators in the bus plaza were before my time. When and why did they quit having them there?
The Plaza Park underwent a major renovation and improvement "way back when" - not sure the dates - but the alligator pond was one thing that didn't fit the new scheme of things. They were a nuisance to maintain and an invitation for vandals to torment them. I recall GIs who were arrested for getting in and messing with them in olden days.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I don't recall "go go." By old YMCA building - are you referring to when it was on Oregon St.? The old building was torn down to make room for a bank parking lot (probably in the 1950s) when the new YMCA was built on Montana Ave, and that building is now no longer a YMCA either.

The Plaza Park underwent a major renovation and improvement "way back when" - not sure the dates - but the alligator pond was one thing that didn't fit the new scheme of things. They were a nuisance to maintain and an invitation for vandals to torment them. I recall GIs who were arrested for getting in and messing with them in olden days.
The Y that I remembered was on Montana, and I may be mistaken, but the gogo joint (didn't get a good look at the name on the sign) was somewhere around that area, west of it. It was a gentlemen's club. Someone I used to know remembered that place and one of the dancers who used to work there, but he's dead now and the lady from there has long since retired.

Thanks for the info on the alligators.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
The Y that I remembered was on Montana, and I may be mistaken, but the gogo joint (didn't get a good look at the name on the sign) was somewhere around that area, west of it.
I vaguely recall a joint called "Whiskey-A-Go-Go" but haven't a clue where it was, or if it was anywhere near El Paso. The "original" and still in-business joint is on the Sunset Strip in L.A. Perhaps if there ever was a joint in El Paso it took its name from the original.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,840 times
Default Whiskey a go go

There was a Teen-a-G0-Go on Alameda in the old Lakeside shopping center. I believe it opened in 1966.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,840 times
Default Valley Theatre

Yep. That's the one. I lived on Anita Circle as well. "121"

Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM

594 posts, read 1,250,650 times
Great thread! I moved away almost 14 years ago but miss my home town.

My family always went out to eat at G&R downtown on Nevada- we still go there when we visit. Chile Rellenos to die for.

There was a Pete's Pizza place downtown, not far from San Jacinto Plaza, in fact, it might have been right off of it. it was in the basement of a building and had great pizza and a jukebox. It closed sometime in the 80s but I remember it like it was yesterday.

I recall hiking in the mountains on both the central and westside to the site of some plane crashes from back in the 40s and 50s.

I remember the Greenery used to be inside either the White House or Popular at Bassett Center. My grandmother took us to lunch there when she visited.

Basset Center before there were mass merchandisers was such a great little mall. Rarely busy unless it was near Christmas.

In the early 80s I was in a few White House and Popular TV commercials. I remember shooting one for winter coats but it was still really hot out! I was sad when they went out of business. My family really tried to support local businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso