Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 AM

303 posts, read 981,305 times

Advertisements

HIGH!Lonesome..So, what is the Lucky Boy recipe ? Can you share with me? I promise I won't tell a soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
Why hasn't anybody mentioned the alligators that used to be there in San Jacinto plaza...My mother always told me about them..and it is true..i have seen old pictures of them...there..no body would bother them at that time..they would just lie in the sun and swim!
I remember the two alligators there. You are right, they would just lay there enjoying the sun rays. When my mom and I were waiting for a transfer bus, we would always go watch them. Is the Conney Island foot long place still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 AM

430 posts, read 1,341,103 times
I only recall going downtown to shop for material for my mom to make my dance costumes. I guess we weren't too big on downtown back then. Come to think of it.....we are not big on it now either. But I did used to look at all the old buildings and ponder who used to live in the apartments above the stores. The buildings looked so neat.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,205 times
Default hey

so you know the secret of those good old lucky boy hamburgers can you share on how to make them. ernie

Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 AM

525 posts, read 1,371,238 times
What comes to my mind is going to the Plaza Theater and watching the new releases with my father. At intermission, the organ would come up and this bald headed man would play it. I remember when I was bored with the movie, I would look up and try to count the stars in the ceiling. Downtown ELP was so beautiful then...I am proud to say that I grew up in EL Paso

Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 PM

16 posts, read 33,442 times
right on bro . remember Coney Island !

Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
What comes to my mind is going to the Plaza Theater and watching the new releases with my father. At intermission, the organ would come up and this bald headed man would play it. I remember when I was bored with the movie, I would look up and try to count the stars in the ceiling. Downtown ELP was so beautiful then...I am proud to say that I grew up in EL Paso
I agree that EP's downtown sounds better back then -- better than it will likely ever be again. I don't think the old El Paso can be recaptured.

At work the other day, people were talking about all those old stores downtown where they worked their first jobs or shopped for important events like weddings or proms. All those places are gone.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,557,576 times
I also remember the "lagartos" at the Placita. Also the train with the mule. By the way the mule name in the plaque is "Mandy".

Also, I remember going to Grant's to eat the burritos. I loved the ones with carne molida. I also used to get an ice cream cone, chocolate was my favorite.

I loved just walking through the displays at Kress and just sitting at the Placita to see the pigeons. I used to get a kick of the preachers preaching out loud and no one listening to them. LOL

As a teenager I used to have a curious fun as some prostitutes were out there and the jons discreetly approaching them.

Now I am a Soldier and often remember when a Military Police would walk the streets along with an El Paso police.

I loved going to the library also and to the park right behind it.

I also loved walking through the different floor of La Popular.

Of course I "enjoyed" the fighting for a space to get into the tranvias to go to Juarez and also getting in the bus.

Those were the days I guess.

Who knows, maybe some of us the more mature ones may have crossed paths over there when it was the center of activity in the city.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,263 times
Hello, I am posting this message for those individuals that might be interested and know any historical factual information on El Paso in regards to Lower Valley Lines, and Country Club lines. I am asking for your assistance to share any information you can with me, if you have any photos of these transit lines I would appreciate if you could share copies. I am in the process of archiving historical events, businesses, places, monuments, individuals all people regardless of position education etc that may have worked or been riders of these lines or in any of the businesses I am asking for information. For now I am focusing on the transit lines lower valley and country club lines. Full Credit line will be given when information archived is eventually published to those individuals providing the information, photos, documents I am requesting. It is to promote the value of our history our heritage of our town, while our town has its shortcomings it is not a bad place to live it is rich in history. Some history has become lost no record of certain businesses or transit lines, in our local library.
Thanks I hope to hear from you.
heres my email address ProductionsBliss@aol.com
My name is Caesar.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,512,830 times
Buying hamsters at WINNS.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:27 PM

525 posts, read 1,371,238 times
I remember when my mother worked at the DeSoto Hotel and we would meet, go get our taquitos at Newberry, then cross the street to go into the Popular, my father would take me to the Plaza Theater to see a movie but what i really liked was looking up and seeing the stars inside. Then at intermission, a bald headed man would come up and play for about 15 minutes. i remember all of the buses would stop at the placita and taking the Government Hill bus. I would also come downtown with my grandmother and we would walk around and she would take me to the Bakery on Oregon Street that was almost right across the street from the library. Joe Andow, a friend of my father from Bowie High School, had his photography studio next to the bakery.

The above are just a few of my memories of growing up in my beautiful hometown of El Paso. I will cherish them as long as i live and I will forever say..I am an El Pasoan ..no matter where I live!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso