Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times

Advertisements

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > State -- Parents protest student pledge forms on gays
Since some of you don't trust Worldnetdaily nor FOX news I managed to find a different source for this story. Some parents are considering legal action. School is mum on if they'll take any action at all. The teacher passed out pledge cards from the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network and she had her 5 year old students sign the pledge cards. FOX news has a copy of the pledge cards from one of the parents. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,445865,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,163,721 times
Yes, but let's be clear here: the GLSEN pledge was merely a pledge not to use anti-gay slurs. I'm sure you're aware that the word "gay" is often used as a synonym for "stupid" or "displeasing," as in, "That movie was so gay! I was very bored." Though I think any aspect of adult sexuality besides "stranger danger" awareness should be avoided as a discussion topic in kindergarten classrooms, I don't find that it's ethically wrong to ask students to avoid using anti-gay slurs in class, but if I were a teacher, I would be more inclined to handle this on a case-by-case basis, i.e., "Billy, we don't use the word 'gay' that way because it insults people. If you didn't like the movie, it's sufficient to say you didn't like it."

I have a problem with their being put in a position where they're clearly pressured to sign a pledge, which I don't believe five-year-olds are capable of doing with the full emotional and intellectual commitment that any true pledge requires; however, I think we need to be very clear that the pledge was only asking that they not use anti-gay slurs. I would also think a responsible teacher would put a halt to any defamatory language, including racist slurs or expressions, sexist slurs or expressions, or expressions attacking a religious viewpoint, but I don't think a pledge is necessary.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 AM

830 posts, read 2,714,123 times
I don't see a problem at all with having students sign a pledge agreeing not to use anti-gay slurs. I'm not sure why any parent, no matter how anti-homosexual, would defend their child's use of slurs in the classroom or out or be upset when it was made clear to kids that it is not ok.

I have students sign their names and post it on our rules chart as a symbol of agreeing to follow them. My K's and 1sts know this means "I am going to follow these rules". This is really no different than that except that it clarifies that slurs like "That's so gay" fall under that category, something children may not be aware of. It's good to make it clear that it is not ok before it takes hold in the classroom. You don't have to explain what "gay" is to K's to use something like this. I've had the conversation with preschoolers actually: "That's not something we say at school. It's something that can hurt people's feelings" (in response to "You're so gay").

The school where I am has paperwork that must be filled out by parents at the beginning of the year, and even the K's have to sign their names that they will not access internet websites that the teacher has not approved. To me, young children are far less capable of understanding that than simply saying "I agree not to use words that hurt other people's feelings".

I would not distribute anything that has the rainbow symbol on it in school, but the idea behind the actual pledge does not bother me a bit. And yes, if I were going to do something like this I would probably extend the pledge to any other kind of name calling rather than focusing solely on anti-gay slurs.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:47 AM

13 posts, read 38,369 times
But why not make the pledge "no name calling," or "no slurs of any type" rather than "no gay slurs"? I would not think that anyone wants kids making derogatory remarks towards the mentally disabled, people of different races, or based on whether someone's parents are married, etc. I have a problem with having small children sign a pledge that they will in particular not make derogatory remarks towards or about homosexuals. Most five year olds are probably not even aware of homosexuals, and it would not occur to them to say anything bad about them without someone making it an issue first.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:58 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,245,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMommy View Post
But why not make the pledge "no name calling," or "no slurs of any type" rather than "no gay slurs"? I would not think that anyone wants kids making derogatory remarks towards the mentally disabled, people of different races, or based on whether someone's parents are married, etc. I have a problem with having small children sign a pledge that they will in particular not make derogatory remarks towards or about homosexuals. Most five year olds are probably not even aware of homosexuals, and it would not occur to them to say anything bad about them without someone making it an issue first.
I totally agree! Why don't we just raise kids to be polite and respectful of ALL people without having to pander to any one special interest group? I personally find it asinine!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:10 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,068,828 times
Quote:
“I am taking a stand for a safe and harassment-free school for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression,†read the pledges. “As an ally, I pledge to not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs.â€
This is stupid. I don't think a typical 5 year old would even understand this. What is the teacher supposed to say when little Susie raises her hand and asks what transgender means or bisexual?

Just teach the kids not to call names or to say something is 'gay'....unless it really is.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM

331 posts, read 1,385,404 times
Quote:
Quote:
This is stupid. I don't think a typical 5 year old would even understand this. What is the teacher supposed to say when little Susie raises her hand and asks what transgender means or bisexual?

Just teach the kids not to call names or to say something is 'gay'....unless it really is.
I definitely agree with both of these. I think just a "no name calling" pledge would make much more sense. Because basically you would have to make pledge cards for other things. Also as mentioned, a 5 year old is not fully capable of understanding everything involved with something like that.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:25 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,302,309 times
I don't think any "pledge" is really going to be understood by 5 year old kids, period. Y'all want to know what my 5 year old apparently retained after a week full of "Drug free school" activities, special visitors, and related field trips? Not much, I'll tell ya. In the car a couple days afterwards, she tells us "Now remember guys, NO FREE DRUGS!!!"

Having said that, I do think that teachers should be paying more attention to the use of gay as an insult, as well as other homophobic and related hurtful comments. I know in my kid's classes, this sort of thing is allowed to 'slide' more often than any other racial slur or insulting term would be allowed to (i.e. never). I think more awareness for the teachers would be a better approach, so they can nip it in the bud if they hear it.

Of course then you get into the other extreme, like last year when my (then 10 year old) son's teacher told him he couldn't say the word "Gay" when he was simply referring to me, his mom, being gay, and he wasn't using it in any offensive manner, but she was so afraid of the word that she overreacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education