Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,522,100 times

Advertisements

The rule should be clearer. One school said something about not dying hair any color that is not a natural hair color.

that said,

I think she was pushing it by doing it in the first place and then has decided to fight with our tax dollars.....

Wow, if pink hair is this important for her to fight, I shudder to think what silly things she will decide to fight in the future to get her way.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM

938 posts, read 3,518,844 times
That happened about 30 miles west of my hometown. Mountain Grove is a very sleepy and rural community. She's probably about the only one in town with pink hair, haha.

The rule is in place to keep down distractions. IMO, most people who dye their hair weird colors are merely looking for attention, and chances are that her having pink hair draws attention away from whatever is being taught in school to her hair. My mom teaches middle school and I'm sure she would say the exact same thing...its hard enough to teach 12-14 year olds anything, and more and more distractions don't help. The policy was clearly spelled out in the handbook and she had a warning, which she didn't follow. Now what exactly makes this worth for the national news?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:31 PM

516 posts, read 1,892,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
Students don't surrender their First Amendment rights when they step into the halls of school. We all have the freedom of expression, and may exercise that freedom however we choose so long as we do not inhibit anyone elses' rights by doing so. To ban her hairstyle at a public school is unConstitutional.
The First Amendment guarantees freedom of speech. Court rulings have extended that to freedom of expression, but that is not guaranteed by the First Amendment:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:56 PM

2,839 posts, read 10,006,749 times
Do people really think that a 12 year old is going to be distracted for more than a few minutes by someone with pink hair? A classmate? I think you are not giving kids enough credit, LOL.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:32 PM

938 posts, read 3,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Do people really think that a 12 year old is going to be distracted for more than a few minutes by someone with pink hair? A classmate? I think you are not giving kids enough credit, LOL.
In a small, rural, conservative school, yes someone with pink hair would be very distracting to just about everyone...especially in middle school. Granted after a week or two no one would probably care much anymore in school, but it would cause distraction. Look at all the distraction its already caused with it being on the national news...I guarantee kids talking and gossiping about it in class is causing disruptions.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,462,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
In a small, rural, conservative school, yes someone with pink hair would be very distracting to just about everyone...especially in middle school. Granted after a week or two no one would probably care much anymore in school, but it would cause distraction. Look at all the distraction its already caused with it being on the national news...I guarantee kids talking and gossiping about it in class is causing disruptions.

Seems those kids need to get out more then.

There is not much pride in being socially ignorant of other people's actions.

Kids gossip about anything, I was the first in my school to have the new Reebox pumps and yes, it was a major distraction for many to the point the vice principle called my mom and explained her about it because I was actually getting harrassed for them. Country school though, never expected anything different from them, ignorance always prevails and years later, still rules supreme there.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,327,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Seems those kids need to get out more then.

There is not much pride in being socially ignorant of other people's actions.

Kids gossip about anything, I was the first in my school to have the new Reebox pumps and yes, it was a major distraction for many to the point the vice principle called my mom and explained her about it because I was actually getting harrassed for them. Country school though, never expected anything different from them, ignorance always prevails and years later, still rules supreme there.
Absolutely agree with this.

Also, as for the idea that people with strange hair colors are doing it "for attention"... I beg to differ. How bout doing it because you like it? I had pink hair for a while and I'm a mom! I liked the way it looked. It was fun. I worked from home so no boss to worry about not liking it. It made my green eyes stand out. Pink is a pretty color.

Why assign weird ulterior motives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education