Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,355,955 times

Advertisements

As a teacher, I believe kids should be able to express themselves as long as it's not offensive to other students. There is nothing wrong with having a hair color that is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM

516 posts, read 1,890,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The school should be required to provide proof that it is a distraction, all this is doing is teaching kids it is quite ok to force your beleifs onto others for no real reason other than "I said so". This will eventually find its way into real life and these brainwashed idiots will be running around trying to tell everyone and their brother what to do as they about do or try to do now.
You mean they become government bureaucrats or politicians?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,437,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
You mean they become government bureaucrats or politicians?
That or they serve on HOA boards.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,387,381 times
One of the key parts of civil disobedience that most people forget is the willingness to accept the punishment of disobeying the law. Accepting that punishment, whether it is jail time or suspension, is part of the effort to bring attention to the issue.

The kid should realize that in the same amendment that guarantees freedom of expression we are guaranteed the right to petition our government for a redress of grievances. Talk to the principal and try to convince him or her to change the policy and to justify it. Go to the school board and express your opinion there and lobby for change. If it truly is a free speech issue, then there is a good chance that the regulation will be overturned. If there are other factors, at least the kid has the chance to learn the other side and why they think it is justified.

Or they could just color their hair, knowing that they are violating policy, and face the consequences that have been clearly spelled out.

Civil disobedience is about changing a law that is fundamentally unfair by breaking that law and accepting the punishment with your head held high. If I were the principal of the school, I'd tell the kid that they can come to school, but they will spend the next three days reading "On Civil Disobedience" by Thoreau and "Letter from Birmingham Jail" by King. Then I'd spend an hour or two with the kid talking about those documents to make sure that he understands them.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,160,591 times
I foresee a future feminist.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,437,754 times
Oh, my goodness. She's dyeing her hair at age 12?!!! Horrible. I waited until I was 13 to start dyeing my hair. Kids these days.

I think it's stupid, but she was warned, so I haven't too much sympathy for her. Too many other battles to fight.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM

146 posts, read 350,656 times
Students don't surrender their First Amendment rights when they step into the halls of school. We all have the freedom of expression, and may exercise that freedom however we choose so long as we do not inhibit anyone elses' rights by doing so. To ban her hairstyle at a public school is unConstitutional.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:54 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,964,502 times
Let me see now,....it is STUPID for a 12 yr old to dye her hair....and a poster says she dyed her hair at 13 and thinks it is okay. Something is wrong here. Some 12 yr olds are smarter then 13 yr olds these days. I raised three daughters and saw how they changed in puberty years. Steve

Old 08-30-2008, 11:57 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,921,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Let me see now,....it is STUPID for a 12 yr old to dye her hair....and a poster says she dyed her hair at 13 and thinks it is okay. Something is wrong here. Some 12 yr olds are smarter then 13 yr olds these days. I raised three daughters and saw how they changed in puberty years. Steve
She was being sarcastic, Steve.

Some public schools in my area have instituted a uniform policy. If someone were to come in without uniform, because they're exercising their freedom to dress as they want, are they right to do so? Should they have to gain an exception, or even go through the trouble. Just because the school is public does not mean they can't make rules.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:12 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,498,990 times
I too think hair color shouldn't matter.............BUT....if the rules were in place prior to the hair dyeing...and I know that at all schools there is a handbook given out, then she broke those rules. Now if they implemented it after she did it, too bad on them. But if they didn't...however stupid of a rule it is, it is a rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education