Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 PM

372 posts, read 220,011 times

Advertisements

University and debt:

When I attended University in Oz, there were no tuition fees. Membership of the student union was a mandatory cost, of about $300 per subject a year (a max of $1200 a year.) The Union provided all kinds of cheap and free services, such as ; a creche, bar and restaurant, book store and dozens of free clubs. EG photography, a history club, a philosophy club, and a safe place for gays to meet. If a person had a conscientious objection to belonging to a union, amounts equal to union fees could be paid to a registered charity of choice

As civil servant, I had 3 hours a week off to attend lectures and the department paid my union fees. I had to buy my own books.

That all changed in 1989 with the introduction of H.E.C.S (Higher Education Contribution Scheme. )

There have been modifications over the years; HECS is also linked to universities self funding. This means far greater numbers of overseas students. This practice is controversial.

Today, there are tuition fees, of which the government pays a proportion.. If a student is unable to pay up front, the fees become a debt. That debt is put on hold until a person's income reaches a certain amount. At at time ,the debt is recovered where possible by wage garnishee.

Overseas students do not receive government subsidies and full fees must be paid up front.

My understanding is that HECS debts are far less than the average student loan in the US.

Context: Had HECS been in force while I was at university, the fees would have been immediately repayable, because of my income. I simply would not have been able to go.

Below is link which will explain, which I think is a reasonably complex issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertia...s_in_Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:06 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I have extensive formal education. That doesn't give me or tnff the ability to change definitions.
Touche'. But smart and learned people can disagree at times. And I'd offer that tnff isn't changing anything he has a different perspective.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Being a physicist doesn't change facts. Math and physics ... Along with other sciences are liberal arts. Let's stop changing definitions to align with rhetoric.
Negative. For you math and physics are technical and professional. What could possibly be more technical than you cypering say a geostationary orbit or whatever professionally?

Dictionary.com
NORTH AMERICAN
academic subjects such as literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences as distinct from professional and technical subjects.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So what? I'm married to a PhD physicist. Not impressed.
Totally not the point.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:37 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative. For you math and physics are technical and professional. What could possibly be more technical than you cypering say a geostationary orbit or whatever professionally?

Dictionary.com
NORTH AMERICAN
academic subjects such as literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences as distinct from professional and technical subjects.
Physics is a physical science. Math is not a professional or technical subject. It's a theoretical subject.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Touche'. But smart and learned people can disagree at times. And I'd offer that tnff isn't changing anything he has a different perspective.
Something you learn in law school. You can easily disagree on the interpretation of a phrase or usage of a word. But the definition, not so much.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Totally not the point.
You seem to have missed the point. Being a physicist does not endow you with some super-knowledge that other people don't have. I've seen them up close and personal.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:58 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
According to Kip "your mom goes to college"

Old 04-06-2019, 11:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
As it is, everybody and their mom can go to college, as a result, student debt is insane and lots of people are just dumb and shouldn't be in college at all. What if there were far stricter requirements, say only the smartest most intelligent people were allowed to go to college? Kind of like how it was back in the day?
Let's also make the requirements for having children, driving cars and all normal everyday things also have high standards and relegate the "Ignorant" to farms or eliminate them.

"Back in the day" we didn't have student loans....Many who could have been more successful, weren't due to the issue of not being able to afford it.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Let's also make the requirements for having children, driving cars and all normal everyday things also have high standards and relegate the "Ignorant" to farms or eliminate them.

"Back in the day" we didn't have student loans....Many who could have been more successful, weren't due to the issue of not being able to afford it.
Not quite. Back in the day, people who had what it takes got free rides. Same as today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education