Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Nope, not at all. I don't think it comes from either the "arts" part or the "liberal" part. Instead it comes from the common understanding that "liberal arts" means things like, but not limited to English, Lit, Geography, Music, Art, Philosophy, and other non-technical courses. The courses that most people consider you learned in high school and very few people have any need to study further. Versus Science, Math, Engineering, Business which most people consider useful courses.
Except, of course, for the fact that mathematics and physical sciences actually *are* included in the liberal arts...which is yet another common misunderstanding against those who aren't particularly informed on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 11:29 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Except, of course, for the fact that mathematics and physical sciences actually *are* included in the liberal arts...which is yet another common misunderstanding against those who aren't particularly informed on the topic.
But LIBERAL!

The real crime is that LA schools and degrees have been completely deprecated because, by and large, those degrees aren't instant job tickets. That's what I meant in my prior post: universities should be for education, not job training.

Only middling minds proud of their four-year job ticket in a hot field can possibly think education in a traditional sense is some waste of time for all concerned.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Exactly! All the "subject" degrees at the U of Colorado, for ex, math, the sciences, history, etc are "Bachelor of Arts in . . ."

Old 04-06-2019, 01:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Exactly! All the "subject" degrees at the U of Colorado, for ex, math, the sciences, history, etc are "Bachelor of Arts in . . ."
Whether they are AB or not is not what qualifies an area of study as a liberal art. Even receiving a BS in physics results in a degree in liberal arts.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Whether they are AB or not is not what qualifies an area of study as a liberal art. Even receiving a BS in physics results in a degree in liberal arts.
I'm telling you they don't give that degree at CU. For ex: https://www.colorado.edu/academics/programs/physics

Old 04-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I'm telling you they don't give that degree at CU. For ex: https://www.colorado.edu/academics/programs/physics
That's fine, but it's irrelevant to the discussion. No one is discussing AB vs BS.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
That's fine, but it's irrelevant to the discussion. No one is discussing AB vs BS.
The point is, you get an "arts" degree with a science major, as opposed to what tnff said: "Instead it comes from the common understanding that "liberal arts" means things like, but not limited to English, Lit, Geography, Music, Art, Philosophy, and other non-technical courses."

Old 04-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
The point is, you get an "arts" degree with a science major, as opposed to what tnff said: "Instead it comes from the common understanding that "liberal arts" means things like, but not limited to English, Lit, Geography, Music, Art, Philosophy, and other non-technical courses."
Ahh, I see where you were going. tnff is certainly not familiar with academics and common understandings of academia.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:01 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Ahh, I see where you were going. tnff is certainly not familiar with academics and common understandings of academia.
I'd be careful with that.
Pretty much everyone knows the catch all definition stating that liberal arts = the study of more or less anything that isn't directed towards professional and technical studies/endeavours. To me that's just way too broad and creates much confusion.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'd be careful with that.
Pretty much everyone knows the catch all definition stating that liberal arts = the study of more or less anything that isn't directed towards professional and technical studies/endeavours. To me that's just way too broad and creates much confusion.
What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education