Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:14 PM

23 posts, read 36,468 times

Advertisements

I am in a PBIS school district and let me ask you something:

Why must our American school boards use 'PBIS' to emphasize their policies?

If you don't know what PBIS is, it is shortened for Positive Behavior Intervention Support. PBIS is designed to enforce 'expectations' for the district's students. The problem is? The program is just some disciplinarian who thinks students are going to 'follow' the expectations it gives out.

Then, MY district has to have the balls to create videos about how a teacher should run their classroom. Like this video.

The video I posted above dictates that a teacher should use a 'classroom matrix' that demonstrates the classroom expectations so the students know what they are expected to act. First of all, most high school teachers uses a syllabus, a classroom bulletin board, or their mouths to indiciate the classroom expectations. They don't need a 'matrix' to enforce policies they make.

That's like making a chart that dictates how citizens are supposed to behave while on the streets or at Walmart. PBIS will most likely work in the workplace, NOT at school where officials can use student planners, handbooks, or syllabus to enforce expectations.

Then, we have the rewards. The rewards are stupid. Based off the previous videos of the associated channel of the video linked in this thread, The rewards are just boring raffal tickets, 2-hour field trips to a rollerskating place, or nothing at all. If you're going to reward someone, at least make it interesting. Like a free pizza party where the pizzas are free, and an extended field trip to another state. Now, I understand that these things cost a lot of money, but that's all schools should start doing fundraisers (like my school is doing) or selling diet sodas.

Lastly, we have schools who think this is going to work.

According to the video above, suspensions went down as they began implementing PBIS. First off, I praise the suspensions going down, but this is most likely due to something called 'luck' or because of how the schools began to implement more fair and reasonable policies, not because you implemented some underrated behavorial system that doesn't offer any good rewards.

Anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
The Matrix thing actually seems like a good idea especially in an elementary setting where children are just learning how to behave at school. I am trained in and use Quality Behavioral Competences, QBC, in my classroom.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
OP, what grade are you in?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Yes, we have PBIS. It's a lot of extra work for little if any results in a school where our biggest concerns in the past may have been kids getting soap on the floors of the bathroom or not paying attention while waiting during afternoon kiss and ride.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,213 times
These types of programs and strategies are always started by some university professor who is so far up the ivory tower that he has no clue how the real world operates and therefore cannot understand that his "brilliant theory or strategy" is not realistic out in the field. The school districts then send their administrators or teachers to attend classes or workshops taught by said professor, who then sells his "brilliant theory or strategy" as the next best thing since sliced bread to said administrators and teachers who then, naively brainwashed by said professor, run back to their school districts thinking they have the solution end all problems in education if they just implement this one great theory proposed by this "great" professor. Said theory or strategy is then implemented for as long as or until the next great theory or strategy is concocted inside the head of said professor. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Actually, true positive reinforcement, correctly applied, is the only thing that DOES change behavior in the long-term, in or out of a classroom context. I can't speak to this particular system, but that in and of itself is a data-proven reality.

However, most school settings are not equipped to correctly apply the principles of true positive reinforcement in a meaningful or effective way. So you get bad application of sound principles...and, subsequently, people who say, "Hey, see, this doesn't work!" When, in fact, they haven't actually experienced or seen it being done properly or effectively.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
I'm not a big fan of PBIS. We shouldn't have to bribe kids to behave in school.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
It teaches them that, in life, positive behavior often gets positive gains. Not always, but often. Bad behavior never gets positive rewards. My daughter's school system uses this and it works.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
I am in a PBIS school district and let me ask you something:

Why must our American school boards use 'PBIS' to emphasize their policies?

If you don't know what PBIS is, it is shortened for Positive Behavior Intervention Support. PBIS is designed to enforce 'expectations' for the district's students. The problem is? The program is just some disciplinarian who thinks students are going to 'follow' the expectations it gives out.

Then, MY district has to have the balls to create videos about how a teacher should run their classroom. Like this video.

The video I posted above dictates that a teacher should use a 'classroom matrix' that demonstrates the classroom expectations so the students know what they are expected to act. First of all, most high school teachers uses a syllabus, a classroom bulletin board, or their mouths to indiciate the classroom expectations. They don't need a 'matrix' to enforce policies they make.

That's like making a chart that dictates how citizens are supposed to behave while on the streets or at Walmart. PBIS will most likely work in the workplace, NOT at school where officials can use student planners, handbooks, or syllabus to enforce expectations.

Then, we have the rewards. The rewards are stupid. Based off the previous videos of the associated channel of the video linked in this thread, The rewards are just boring raffal tickets, 2-hour field trips to a rollerskating place, or nothing at all. If you're going to reward someone, at least make it interesting. Like a free pizza party where the pizzas are free, and an extended field trip to another state. Now, I understand that these things cost a lot of money, but that's all schools should start doing fundraisers (like my school is doing) or selling diet sodas.

Lastly, we have schools who think this is going to work.

According to the video above, suspensions went down as they began implementing PBIS. First off, I praise the suspensions going down, but this is most likely due to something called 'luck' or because of how the schools began to implement more fair and reasonable policies, not because you implemented some underrated behavorial system that doesn't offer any good rewards.

Anyone agree?
Preaching to the choir here - my school also had PBIS. So far as I can tell it's all about taking up a lot of teacher time and resources to have meetings, write out forms, and watch worthless videos so that the administrators can say they have PBIS in their school. It is a complete and utter waste of time and energy. Everyone in my school thought it was a big joke (except the butt-kissers who liked sucking up to administrators, or those who got paid extra to post those stupid videos or make presentations to staff). Someone is making a lot of money off this stupid program someplace - those people need to be literally flogged and then made to actually work in a school with this "program" in place.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It teaches them that, in life, positive behavior often gets positive gains. Not always, but often. Bad behavior never gets positive rewards. My daughter's school system uses this and it works.
I'm glad that it works at your school. In our district, however, the positive rewards that are meaningful to our students do go to people who have bad behavior. When it is the parents who are glorifying thug life, it's very difficult to reach their children and teach them that the world at large isn't like the world they know.

This video is based on life in our town, and the rewards it offers are immediate and tangible. I've hesitated since the beginning of the thread to post it, because of its explicit nature, but I think it puts the question to the PBIS philosophy of what really matters to the students. Growing up in an environment of drugs, sex, and violence makes it, in my opinion, unrealistic to teach children that those behaviors are not rewarded, when every day, the students see that they are, and abundantly.

David Banner - Like A Pimp ft. Lil' Flip - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education