Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times

Advertisements

A reward and a reinforcer are not the same thing.

A reinforcer ALWAYS results in the behavior it follows increasing in frequency, intensity, duration, or occurrence. A reward may not.

If the desired behavior doesn't increase as a result of the issuance of the reinforcer, whatever's being issued isn't, in fact, functioning as a reinforcer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:12 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,009,186 times
PBIS is a big waste of time that doesn't work. I don't know one teacher who thinks it works. And the suspensions probably went down because the principals simply stopped suspending people. In our case, the principals just stopped any kind of discipline, so that there was nothing any teacher could do about disruptive students. PBIS was a complete failure, other than allowing principals to make their schools look safer on paper.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,046,501 times
My kids have it at their elementary school. I'm not sure how much of the good behavior is attributable to PBIS versus some other factor - good discipline by teachers, admin, or home life. But, the school seems orderly and well run. My kids get excited about the small rewards - pajama day, crazy hat day, crazy hair day, popcorn snack in the afternoon. The classes get recognition during morning announcements, and my kids work toward getting to the next level. Seems to work, from what I've seen.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times
Positive reinforcement always works, provided that what is used as a reinforcer is valued, offered consistently, within a close enough time frame to the desired behavior to allow for the connection between the two to be made and understood, and is of a proportionally sufficient amount/value in relation to the behavior that preceded it. When people claim that positive reinforcement doesn't work, it is generally because what they are calling a reinforcer actually is not.

I'm sure, at your kids' school, there are kids who don't get at all excited about something like crazy hat day, and for them, it's not likely to function as a reinforcer, and isn't likely to have any impact on their specific behavior...but something else might. People also satiate on reinforcement. If, every day, there was an opportunity to attain, through targeted behavioral choices, a "crazy hat day" the next day, the reinforcement would cease to have meaning, and most likely cease to be a reinforcer sooner rather than later.

Positive reinforcement works, but it's not a magic bullet, and requires continual reinforcer assessment, among other things.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,021 times
Frustrated teacher here. I noticed that the only person really behind the PBIS deal is the school counselor...who I am assuming isn't in the trenches dealing with how it really works in the real world classroom, except for a once a week little "conversation" and video talk with students...big whoop. I am sorry, but you haven't a clue. Your researched based PBIS initiative, wasn't really researched that thoroughly, along with the Common Core State Standards, they seemed to blend together and arrive at about the same time. That also wasn't researched based either, more or less forced upon schools across the Union. At any rate, I agree with the person who stated that the only reason the numbers of bullying and such have gone down is because the school's have renamed the problems. Very sad. Public education is going to fall by the wayside if the teachers do not band together and take back our schools. Teachers should be telling the administration, the counselors and everyone else what really works. If you want school's of true merit and choice, get rid of the riff-raff. When these people want to act the way good people in any community should act then they can come back. Until then, get out.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:05 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,383,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walenmar2 View Post
Frustrated teacher here. I noticed that the only person really behind the PBIS deal is the school counselor...who I am assuming isn't in the trenches dealing with how it really works in the real world classroom, except for a once a week little "conversation" and video talk with students...big whoop. I am sorry, but you haven't a clue. Your researched based PBIS initiative, wasn't really researched that thoroughly, along with the Common Core State Standards, they seemed to blend together and arrive at about the same time. That also wasn't researched based either, more or less forced upon schools across the Union. At any rate, I agree with the person who stated that the only reason the numbers of bullying and such have gone down is because the school's have renamed the problems. Very sad. Public education is going to fall by the wayside if the teachers do not band together and take back our schools. Teachers should be telling the administration, the counselors and everyone else what really works. If you want school's of true merit and choice, get rid of the riff-raff. When these people want to act the way good people in any community should act then they can come back. Until then, get out.

I agree. From a parents perspective, why are there so few suspensions and expulsions these days?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:12 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
[/b]

I agree. From a parents perspective, why are there so few suspensions and expulsions these days?
It has gotten worse with the emphasis on eliminating desparate punishment stats.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,959,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
[/b]

Maybe because they don't actually work to change student behavior.

Suspensions, Expulsions, Arrests Don't Work: On School Discipline, We Can Do Better | RealClearEducation

Quote:
First, present practices are ineffective. Policies tend to focus on student removal--suspensions, expulsions and arrests—as a way to keep schools orderly and safe. But while they are removed, the offenders fall behind in their schoolwork, and removal puts them at greater risk for dropping out or getting in trouble with the law. Second, present policies are poorly implemented. Students are often suspended for minor infractions such as cell phone use, and kids from some groups—those with disabilities, kids of color, and LGBT youth—are disproportionately disciplined.
Full Report here:
https://csgjusticecenter.org/wp-cont...sus_Report.pdf

Old 11-01-2015, 05:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
The DOE and DOJ got together and said too many minority kids were being suspended and/or expelled.
Basically a case of racial discrimination and told the schools to do something to fix the stats.

U.S. Departments of Education and Justice Release School Discipline Guidance Package to Enhance School Climate and Improve School Discipline Policies/Practices | U.S. Department of Education

Here's the Dear Colleague letter that went out to schools:
Joint - Dear Colleague Letter

Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Suspension and expulsion may not work to change the behavior of the offenders, but it does work to make a less chaotic learning environment for the rest of the kids. There have been times when getting one student temporarily out of a class has made such a radical difference in class climate that the kids have commented about it.

Right now the trend in education is to sacrifice the needs of the many for the needs of the few. Not only hasn't it increased our national performance in comparison to other nations, it has decreased it.

I do agree with this:
Quote:
Have a place on school grounds to which disciplined students can be removed but still receive instruction and social or emotional support, as needed.
In-school suspension should always be the first choice, and out-of-school suspension used only if absolutely needed. Same with an alternative school as opposed to outright expulsion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education