Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,754,020 times

Advertisements

Northside Independent School District plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students.

District officials said the Radio Frequency Identification System (RFID) tags would improve safety by allowing them to locate students — and count them more accurately at the beginning of the school day to help offset cuts in state funding, which is partly based on attendance.

Read more: Students will be tracked via chips in IDs - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,267,148 times
I've heard that some districts want to do this with their staff as well. My id would be staying at school.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,650,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I've heard that some districts want to do this with their staff as well. My id would be staying at school.
I hadn't thought of that. Mine and my kid's ID's will be staying at school if this comes to fruition.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,094,203 times
OK, so next they need to invent a way to keep the kids from losing their ID's, or leaving them laying around their rooms somewhere, lost and forgotten.

Our middle school tested out a system this year where kids attached tags to their backpacks. When they got to school it registered that they were present. They tried to make it out to be a way to track who walks, bikes, or rides the bus to school... but it didn't really work out that way. As long as the kid had the tag on their backpack, they registered with the system as soon as they were close enough to the entrance to the school, regardless of how they got there.

It's pretty common in most office buildings these days to have a card that you use to let yourself into the buildings/offices. It doesn't just unlock the doors and open gates, it lets the system know who is where, when people come and go, etc. and keeps a data log of events. My husband's office is like this. It looks like a little card, like the ones you get at the grocery stores, with the magnetic strip. Looks totally innocent... but it is tracking you. If that kind of stuff bothers you, you should think twice about using the internet, and boards like this.... your IP address works in a similar way.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM

471 posts, read 1,611,485 times
Quote:
If that kind of stuff bothers you, you should think twice about using the internet, and boards like this.... your IP address works in a similar way.
But IP addresses don't keep track of your physical location, a very different situation.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM

3,635 posts, read 6,197,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
OK, so next they need to invent a way to keep the kids from losing their ID's, or leaving them laying around their rooms somewhere, lost and forgotten.

Our middle school tested out a system this year where kids attached tags to their backpacks. When they got to school it registered that they were present. They tried to make it out to be a way to track who walks, bikes, or rides the bus to school... but it didn't really work out that way. As long as the kid had the tag on their backpack, they registered with the system as soon as they were close enough to the entrance to the school, regardless of how they got there.

It's pretty common in most office buildings these days to have a card that you use to let yourself into the buildings/offices. It doesn't just unlock the doors and open gates, it lets the system know who is where, when people come and go, etc. and keeps a data log of events. My husband's office is like this. It looks like a little card, like the ones you get at the grocery stores, with the magnetic strip. Looks totally innocent... but it is tracking you. If that kind of stuff bothers you, you should think twice about using the internet, and boards like this.... your IP address works in a similar way.
The only thing the guard knows about me when I use mine is where I entered the building and at what time when the public doors are closed for the day. I am free to leave anytime without having to scan out. It will also allow me to buy food and deduct it from payroll. It doesn't track me beyond that.

I think that people have gotten entirely TOO comfortable with tracking. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right.

It isn't a "ho hum" matter to me. If I were a teacher or had a student in school - that's exactly where it would stay - in the school.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
But IP addresses don't keep track of your physical location, a very different situation.
Your general location can be traced using an IP Address. They cannot get your home address or anything specific, and of course it is only the general location of whatever computer you are using... but yes - your IP address can be used to locate your general area. Same goes with your email. Why do you think certain ads pop-up while you are online that are location specific? It's not a coincidence.

Today I read in the May 2012 Reader's Digest about Smart Pills. This is for real. Pharmaceutical companies are experimenting with technology that will allow them to put things in prescriptions meds, inside the actual pills, which will let doctors knows when/how often you take your meds.

Freaky, huh?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:14 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,278,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Northside Independent School District plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students.
District officials said the Radio Frequency Identification System (RFID) tags would improve safety by allowing them to locate students — and count them more accurately at the beginning of the school day to help offset cuts in state funding, which is partly based on attendance.
Read more: Students will be tracked via chips in IDs - San Antonio Express-News
What a great idea! I am all for this and think this chips in Id's should also be used for Seniors. My Mom had alzheimers and before she went into a home it was always an issue being concerned about where she was going to end up some day. She has since passed away but as I age I am thinking I would love to have a bracelet or even an embedded chip in me so if I "wander off" I can be tracked. Love this idea.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
The only thing the guard knows about me when I use mine is where I entered the building and at what time when the public doors are closed for the day. I am free to leave anytime without having to scan out. It will also allow me to buy food and deduct it from payroll. It doesn't track me beyond that.

I think that people have gotten entirely TOO comfortable with tracking. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right.

It isn't a "ho hum" matter to me. If I were a teacher or had a student in school - that's exactly where it would stay - in the school.
So, I bet you are one of those people that pays cash for everything then, huh? And you don't use a phone? I'm just teasing...

I was pretty surprised when I discovered this website: People Search by ZabaSearch - Free People Search Engine Even phone numbers that my husband and I paid extra to be unlisted are somehow on this website. And ALL of our addresses where we had a landline phone hooked up. Since discovering the website years ago, we have not had a home phone. We just use our cell phones. They are still tracked - my hubby works for the company - but they are not listed publicly like this. Yet. That we know of.

It does bother me, the idea of having our personal phone number and address on the internet like this, so we refuse to ever get a landline phone again.

It is impossible these days to not be tracked in some way, we just don't usually think about it or we are not really aware of it. Denial, I guess.

OK - found the article about smart pills:
"
United Kingdom: Smart Pills

May 2012 — By the end of the year, a British pharmacy will begin embedding tiny sensors into some drug tablets to help doctors keep tabs on patients’ medication habits. The “smart pills,” developed by U.S. company Proteus Biomedical, send the name of the drug and the time you took it to a patch worn on the body that relays that data, along with information like pulse and sleep patterns, to a smart phone.

Source: Proteus Biomedical"

from the May 2012 Reader's Digest

Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,472,237 times
Oh come on.

In terms of the title of this thread "News, Students will be tracked via chips in IDs....
They have been doing that in private industry for well over two decades (well, that is as far as I go back).
Grow up. Also, there are cameras all over the place.
Welcome to the 20th and 21 centuries. Who even cares? Do nothing wrong, and it shouldn't bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education