Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Disgusting, isn't it? If you check out Teacher Vent forum, you'll get more of the same. Absolutely disgusting! And they call themselves professionals!
Kind of like what parents and students do on places like 'rate my teacher'?? It IS disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is the OP. I disagree with the identification of the problem, also the thread title. I have never seen such disdain for parents as I do on this forum, also sometimes on P&OC. If this is reflecting the true opinon of teachers, I'm glad my kids aren't in school any more.
Parents don't get nearly half the disdain and blame that teachers get.

If you believe parents should not be held responsible for their children's education (or lack of) then I'm sure plenty of teachers are glad your kids aren't in school either.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

If you believe parents should not be held responsible for their children's education (or lack of) then I'm sure plenty of teachers are glad your kids aren't in school either.
i dont think teachers get nearly as much disdain as they feel they do. i love teachers, but i want to cut their pay and benefits if they are over compensated.

just because people want to cut your compensation doesnt mean they hate you.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

Where did I say parents should not be held responsible?

Personal attacks are against the TOS.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
[quote=Ivorytickler;19587595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post

A typo here is just a typo on a board.
I would argue that spelling dreamt as drempt is not a typo. A typo would be something along the lines of dremt because you didn't press down hard enough on the letter 'a' or because you were typing too fast.

Spelling dreamt as drempt is the way that someone would spell it if that's how they believed it was pronounced, which, btw, it's not.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:

I would argue that spelling dreamt as drempt is not a typo. A typo would be something along the lines of dremt because you didn't press down hard enough on the letter 'a' or because you were typing too fast.

Spelling dreamt as drempt is the way that someone would spell it if that's how they believed it was pronounced, which, btw, it's not.
You're going to redefine typo now?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I believe it is the parents responsibility and it doesn't require a lot of money to get a good education. Put down the video game and go to the library. That's what we did, as kids. My mother made reading such a fun thing for us to do, from an early age. To this day, I read a LOT!

What my public school education may have lacked, I learned by going to the library and reading. My mother made sure the homework was done and that we got good grades or privileges were taken away...for long periods of time. One thing that was never taken away was reading.

Even during summer vacation, we had to turn the t.v. off after "The Price Is Right" was over, (11am), and go find something "constructive" to do with our little lives. If we weren't playing outside, creating movies using my dad's 8mm camera or building something, we were reading.

Also, yes, people do make typos. We all make mistakes. However, I try to have enough respect for myself to proof read what I've written even after I hit the "send" button. If I still have a typo and didn't catch it before someone mentions it, I don't get defensive, I chalk it up to a learning experience. No need for excuses. It's about presenting yourself and having respect for yourself.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:55 PM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Kind of like what parents and students do on places like 'rate my teacher'?? It IS disgusting.
I've never even heard of 'rate my teacher'. I imagine many parents haven't. Even if a parent HAS given a teacher a bad rating, that's still not bashing ALL teachers.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
I've never even heard of 'rate my teacher'. I imagine many parents haven't. Even if a parent HAS given a teacher a bad rating, that's still not bashing ALL teachers.
...and I didn't know there was a teacher vent forum. I can't imagine that teachers could- or would- vent about parents by NAME the way these rate my teacher sites do. They're very nasty.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How should teachers insure students perform? Give me the right to take away their cell phones and we might get somewhere!! I posted earlier that I think we need recess in high school just so we can take it away if kids are behind in school work. We need things we can do. As things are, there is very little I can do if a student is not doing their work. I can talk to them but I have no real power besides grading and if kids don't care about grades, that is worthless. I can call home but we have grades posted on line so parents should already be aware that their student isn't doing their work so that's pointless.
Some parents don't have computers, so it might not work either. I remember when my school started posting grades online. My father could find out whenever he wanted what I was doing. Suddenly, I had NO leeway whatsoever. I couldn't let it slide and then bring it up before the next progress report or the next report card. My father could know whenever wherever. That gave me some incentive to keep up with my work. That and my father helping me study.

I would have loved to have recess in high school. I would have had time to let my mind loose. In my high school, students didn't have any "break period". It was:
Zero period(for those students making up a class). For the rest of the school,nothing.
1st period
2nd period
3rd period(Freshman lunch occurred just before or in the middle of 3rd period and it was only 20 minutes long.)
4th period(Lunch for the rest of the school worked the same way as freshman lunch and lasted 20 minutes)
5th period
6th period
School's out.

No official break period and no eating lunch off campus. Lunch was confined to the cafeteria. Basically, not much to do. Some students skipped gym class to socialize. Basically, there wasn't much incentive there. Make bad grades, no playing on sports teams. Well, alot of kids I knew who made bad grades didn't do any extracurricular activities. It was go to school, go back home, watch TV, hang out with friends. That was a major problem at my school. Alot of the athletic did enough to get buy and relied on
A) Getting into school on a sports scholarship
B) Planned on getting a job in construction or landscaping after high school
For those who didn't do any extracurricular activities, there was basically no incentive to make them learn anything. I get your point there. When a child has nothing to lose, you can't make the child do anything. I remember one kid in my school who got suspended for using drugs in school. Why he didn't go to jail is beyond me. In Georgia you would go to jail for use of marijuana. He was back in school a few days later and the teacher was talking to him about not applying himself. He didn't seem to care about learning, about school, anything. He just didn't care in general. He didn't do any extracurricular activities, didn't really do anything. I suspect his parents weren't doing their job as parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education