Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

It depends on the teacher. Is she phoning it in at this point? Sure, but on the other hand she probably knows how to best respond to any child's needs and learning styles at this point.
There was a high school social studies teacher at my son's school who was using the same tests he used in the 1970s. We know this because some of the other kid's parents had had him in school. It could be argued that history hasn't changed much, but still, he really needed to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
If parents believe that students cannot relate to a 40 year old teacher, then how do the parents relate to their own children?
That's a teacher who has taught for 40 years, so is 60+. Still, the principle is the same--maybe those parents should keep the kiddies away from g-ma and g-pa too b/c they're so old and out of date--what could they possibly have to offer the children besides free babysitting? It gets dumber--our children are so precious that they can only be raised and educated by people who are young and hip? (OP, I know it's not you!)

Age is relative anyway--I'm in my fifties and one of my co-workers is 24 and she is way more old-fashioned than I am. She doesn't relate to the teenagers we work with nearly as well as I do and though she is more current on the music and stuff like that, she is much behind when it comes to having respect for the kids and she has little empathy or patience. As long as the teacher isn't burned out, and was a good teacher to begin with, she's probably very, very experienced and my dd's first grade teacher was like that--she could "see" the naughtiness that was going on behind her back and all she'd have to do was snap her fingers at them to get them back on track--no yelling or punishment required. Another teacher in the same school was the same age and she was horrible--she's the whole reason we homeschooled the next year after that. No one wants to be discriminated against and age-ism is a form of discrimination. Oh, and the absolute worst teacher I know is about 35--I doubt she'll ever improve.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Teachers come in all shapes and sizes. They are good or bad based on how they teach, not on their age, their amount of time teaching, their disabilities or so many other things. A good teacher relates to the students. For K, it is important for the teacher to be warm and caring and many grandmotherly types are just that.

Btw, if you have not seen or read this story, you should

Macmillan: Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had Brad Cohen, Lisa Wysocky: Books

I just saw it on Hallmark Channel and it is a fabulous story of acceptance and how someone can become a wonderful teacher partly because of a disability that made him face challenges.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
If you are going to stereotype, you might as well be fair and negatively stereotype the young teacher as well. Make it similarly ignorant:

"My son's first grade teacher just started teaching this year! Is this good or would you fear that she was a product of today's poor education, and would like OMG txt msg her bfs in class and show up drunk on Fridays?"

To answer the quetsion, you'd think that, after 40 years of doing something, she'd be able to do it with her eyes closed. Why would you equate having 40 years of experience to being out of date and burned out? She still has to teach in a school with other teachers, and complete CE credits like everyone else.
Excellent point. I think I would prefer the 40 year veteran to teach my child. I think that he or she would have enough experience to the extent that his or her craft is so down pat, I hope, that my child would benefit from literally an expert who knows, understands, and weeds out non essential curriculum that newer and inexperienced teachers have a harder time doing.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I would worry more about a blonde teaching my child. I mean, are they really able to teach? I definitely want my child's kindergarten teacher to be Asian and not an ugly one. I mean, can ugly people really teach?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I would worry more about a blonde teaching my child. I mean, are they really able to teach? I definitely want my child's kindergarten teacher to be Asian and not an ugly one. I mean, can ugly people really teach?
This is one reason why education should not be publicly funded. Everyone has their preferences. Just kidding, of course, hmmm...

I would say that if I can learn the information myself by reading the book AND I had to attend class, then I would like a good looking teacher. However, for more difficult subjects or skills that are more hands-on, I don't care what a teacher looks like as long as she can teach it well.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:46 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
My daughter had a teacher nearing retirement when she was in the third grade. Great teacher...but she was clearly "fed up" and counting the months until retirement.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
My son's first grade teacher has been in the same school teaching the same grade for 40 years! Is this good or would you fear she was stuck in her ways, out of date, out of touch and burned out? Would you prefer a younger teacher for your kids?
My kids' kindergarten teacher finally retired after 51 years. She was on year 48 when they had her, and she was hands down the best teacher in the district.

Their second grade teacher was on year 37 when she had them. Again, great teacher.

Third grade...second year teaching. Thought he was God's gift to the profession, and you couldn't tell him anything. Give me the old veterans any day.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:57 PM

354 posts, read 712,068 times
its possible that administrators could be biased against an older teacher, but only because around late fifties, some teachers can retire with 85% of previous pay. my mom, who is sixty, put in 32 years and retired at fifty seven. she gets 85% of her previous pay of 85000 based on years of service.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
My son's first grade teacher has been in the same school teaching the same grade for 40 years! Is this good or would you fear she was stuck in her ways, out of date, out of touch and burned out? Would you prefer a younger teacher for your kids?
First grade? I'd prefer the 40 year teacher. When was the US is better shape education wise - now or 40 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education