Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Same with Wall Street. Goldman Sachs received 18 billion dollars from the government in the AIG payoff and paid all but 2 billion dollars to the top management in bonuses.
I call bullcrap. Source please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The point is not necessarily that they have a low unemployment rate, rather that college grads have a significantly lower unemployment rate than non-college grads. This recessions, like most recessions, is not effecting people equally.

I guess they should stop going $40k in debt for a degree that only gains them a $10/hour job?
I just don't see it...just cause one drops out of college, doesn't mean they don't pick up or aquire other skills necissary to function on whatever job they go on to...this could include opening a business, lawn care service, plumbing, driving a cab, a truck, painting, security guard, sanitation worker, flourist, airport security screener, car salesman, or other sales jobs, realistate, janitor, vendor (or purchasing ones on vending route)

deliver jobs, tree trimmers...escuvators, heavy equiptment operators...retail, cashiers, I could go on and on and on...

There are 100's of jobs that serve vital functions where one doesn't need a degree...and limited on the job training...but once trained, their educated in what they do....

I don't see none of the migrant farm workers being laid off either...(or at least I don't read about it)....

for every degreed job, there's at least 5-10 non degreed jobs that play a supporting role...

Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
for every degreed job, there's at least 5-10 non degreed jobs that play a supporting role...

Here is the kicker though. If you could hire two people to do lawn work, a high school drop out, or a college grad, and assuming neither had related experience, who would you pick?

That is what is happening at a rapid pace. High school grads and below are being pushed out of the market, because college grads are starting to filter down in to increasingly lower skilled jobs.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The problem is that many degrees are now resulting in this....
Nobody needs to take on $40k in debt to get a degree, they choose to do this because its the easy route. And although low-skill jobs are harder to get right now because of the recession, they are usually relatively easy to get if you are not a drugged up loser.

Last edited by user_id; 03-19-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I just don't see it...just cause one drops out of college, doesn't mean they don't pick up or aquire other skills necissary to function on whatever job they go on to....
And you very well may not see it. Also, the claim is not that everyone without a degree is poor and unemployed, rather that those without a degree have a higher unemployment and a lower average and median income than those with a degree. These are aggregate numbers.

Quote:
There are 100's of jobs that serve vital functions where one doesn't need a degree...and limited on the job training...but once trained, their educated in what they do....
And because they requiredlimited on job training the supply of potential workers is huge and thus the wages are lower. When a recession hits the competition for these jobs is even greater and hence the higher unemployment rate in this group.

Quote:
I don't see none of the migrant farm workers being laid off either...(or at least I don't read about it)....
This comment does not make much sense. Farm workers are largely seasonal and they move from job to job. They don't get "laid off" in the standard sense because they were never employed long term in the first place. So the question is not whether they are getting laid off, but whether the total number of temp workers has dropped or not. And the answer is yes. This country has a vast capacity to produce food stuffs, well beyond are basic needs.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Here is the kicker though. If you could hire two people to do lawn work, a high school drop out, or a college grad, and assuming neither had related experience, who would you pick?
The person without the college degree. Why? Because the guy with the college degree is likely to leave the job as soon as he finds something better.

Most employers will not hire vastly over-qualified people for just this reason.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
And you very well may not see it. Also, the claim is not that everyone without a degree is poor and unemployed, rather that those without a degree have a higher unemployment and a lower average and median income than those with a degree. These are aggregate numbers.

And because they requiredlimited on job training the supply of potential workers is huge and thus the wages are lower. When a recession hits the competition for these jobs is even greater and hence the higher unemployment rate in this group.

This comment does not make much sense. Farm workers are largely seasonal and they move from job to job. They don't get "laid off" in the standard sense because they were never employed long term in the first place. So the question is not whether they are getting laid off, but whether the total number of temp workers has dropped or not. And the answer is yes. This country has a vast capacity to produce food stuffs, well beyond are basic needs.
I just don't hear or see people without degrees, complaining about not being able to find a job...I just don't see it...

I see grungy grubby men working all the time in trades and ship yards and as plumbers and welders, repair men...

(Exempt from this are all city, state, and federal employees)...

fisherman, with tv shows like 'most dangerous catch...

warehouse workers, forklift operators, window washers, dog groomers, people who work at bowling alleys, cooks, shefs, message therapists...

Again, I could go on and on...I don't see these people loosing their jobs...

Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I call bullcrap. Source please.
i realize the post wasn't directed to me, but that is what i have heard also.

as far as i can tell (although the numbers change depending on sources) goldman took 12 billion from the government (digg), paid back 10 billion, (usa today) and gave themselves 14.2 billion in bonuses. (csmonitor)

another new informative article from rolling stone on "wall street bailout hustle" which confirms the bonus numbers:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/32255149/wall_streets_bailout_hustle/print (broken link)

Goldman wasn't alone. The nation's six largest banks — all committed to this balls-out, I drink your milkshake! strategy of flagrantly gorging themselves as America goes hungry — set aside a whopping $140 billion for executive compensation last year, a sum only slightly less than the $164 billion they paid themselves in the pre-crash year of 2007. In a gesture of self-sacrifice, Blankfein himself took a humiliatingly low bonus of $9 million, less than the 2009 pay of elephantine New York Knicks washout Eddy Curry. But in reality, not much had changed. "What is the state of our moral being when Lloyd Blankfein taking a $9 million bonus is viewed as this great act of contrition, WHEN EVERY PENNY OF IT WAS A DIRECT TRANSFER FROM THE TAXPAYER?" asks Eliot Spitzer, who tried to hold Wall Street accountable during his own ill-fated stint as governor of New York.

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-19-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I just don't hear or see people without degrees, complaining about not being able to find a job...I just don't see it...
Then its because you are not listening, the unemployment rate for this group is higher. But there is another issue as well, lower skill work is quicker to find. A software engineer that gets laid off may take 6 months to find another job, where as someone that gets laid off from the local McDonalds can often find another job in a few days.

I'm not sure why you keep listing jobs that don't require college degrees.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Then its because you are not listening, the unemployment rate for this group is higher. But there is another issue as well, lower skill work is quicker to find. A software engineer that gets laid off may take 6 months to find another job, where as someone that gets laid off from the local McDonalds can often find another job in a few days.

I'm not sure why you keep listing jobs that don't require college degrees.
Example..a guy who delivers frozen meat to Krogers grocery store, will always have job security..Americans and people around the world, love to eat meat,and barbee-Q it. Steaks, hamburger, whatever...we like our meat...

On the other hand, a design engineer at (I'll just make up a name) Valtech engineering firm who designs fins for a missle under contract by the US government...suddenly get's notice that their contract has ended...the US government has canceled it's fuzz 2 missle program to save money....

Now Wayne, the missle tech...is out of work...

Where as Bob...the truck driver, is still delivering meat....

Because meat is a basic commodity...people eat to live...

But designing missles sustains no one, so in hard times, those type of jobs fade...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics