Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,981 times

Advertisements

That's right - I forgot how lazy Americans were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
I don't know what the hell is wrong with you people. Instead of bitching and moaning about how rich people are, or are going to get, why don't you improve your skills to get a higher paying job?
Because our culture values sports and entertainment over education.

Also, personal responsibility is dead but the repercussions aren't.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
I don't know what the hell is wrong with you people. Instead of bitching and moaning about how rich people are, or are going to get, why don't you improve your skills to get a higher paying job?
Pray tell with the bleeding of jobs from America to asia just were does one look for a "higher paying" job?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Pray tell with the bleeding of jobs from America to asia just were does one look for a "higher paying" job?
Any of the hard math or science fields that we give out visas for all over east-asia each year since we don't have enough Americans to do the jobs.

I was at a math contest 2 weeks ago and it was dominated by the kids of east asian immigrants. In the other part of the school there was a sports tournament....dominated by the kids of >2nd generation americans. It's where parents are directing their childrens interests and not indicative of ability.

Care to guess which kids are going to be working higher paying jobs in 10-20 years?

During the fat and happy years post WW2 we developed an anti-intellectual culture where athletics & popularity dominated because you could be a sports star and then work in a factory and make a good living. Why be some loser nerd?

I grew up in a town where it was smart to downplay the fact that you were smart, you didn't tell people what your ACT\SAT scores were....unless you wanted to be called nerd etc. Now if you happened to be good at a sport then you'd be all over the newspapers, get pep rallies thrown for you. LOL, our culture is shallow and stupid.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Any of the hard math or science fields that we give out visas for all over east-asia each year since we don't have enough Americans to do the jobs.
This is garbage. There are tons of engineers, computer scientists, and physical scientist unemployed or underemployed. You can find them all over this board. In fact, many of them are unemployed because their job was outsourced to East Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
During the fat and happy years post WW2 we developed an anti-intellectual culture where athletics & popularity dominated because you could be a sports star and then work in a factory and make a good living. Why be some loser nerd?
Actually, plenty of people were becoming "loser nerds" in the 80's and 90's. Then they figured out that their jobs started becoming the first ones getting insourced or outsourced. Who wants to get in a field that has a painted target on it?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times
Quote:
That's right - I forgot how lazy Americans were.
This must be it. The 10+ million Americans that are currently U/E MUST all be lazy and underskilled. How silly are we for not seeing this? Jeez, I'm embarassed now.

How naive. Is this the conclusion that you and your former College Republican buddies came to?

"But hey, I work hard and I'm successful!"

Of course, since you're situation is peachy, you must obviously have the magic formula that nobody else can figure out.

The truth of the matter is that you're nothing more than a headcount. You're just one more burden for your company to worry about (salary, bonus, health insurance...ugh!). If they could find a way of automating your position, they wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep over ridding themselves of you. Welcome to reality, junior.

Last edited by mcb1025; 03-16-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is garbage. There are tons of engineers, computer scientists, and physical scientist unemployed or underemployed. You can find them all over this board. In fact, many of them are unemployed because their job was outsourced to East Asia.

FACT

Actually, plenty of people were becoming "loser nerds" in the 80's and 90's. Then they figured out that their jobs started becoming the first ones getting insourced or outsourced. Who wants to get in a field that has a painted target on it?

FACT
Excellent post.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Engineers, scientists, computer techies and - yes - even mathematicians are getting s**t canned left and right in the US by corporate America in favor of outsourcing to other countries.

But I hear what you're saying Mathguy. When I was coming up if you didn't play basketball you weren't on the map.....however I had a lot of common sense people around me stating the obvious.

And that was: "Nobody on this basketball team is going to the NBA. You are all a bunch of slightly above average height white kids." You want to know who said that? Coach! We had a 29-1 record and nearly won the state champs in our school size.....but that didn't translate to success beyond high school. And that was what he was trying to explain to us.

Same coach different quote: "What the hell is wrong with you? Are you just jerkingoff in class? Are you even going to class? You don't go to basketball and play school!!! You go to school and you play basketball!!! NOW GET YOUR A**ES TO STUDY HALL AND DO YOUR F-IN HOMEWORK!!!"

I loved that guy. Thankfully I was one of the 'nerdy' ball players who maintained a decent GPA. However my ball skills suffered. So instead of getting yelled at about my grades I got yelled at because I couldn't hit a jump shot.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Engineers, scientists, computer techies and - yes - even mathematicians are getting s**t canned left and right in the US by corporate America in favor of outsourcing to other countries.

But I hear what you're saying Mathguy. When I was coming up if you didn't play basketball you weren't on the map.....however I had a lot of common sense people around me stating the obvious.

And that was: "Nobody on this basketball team is going to the NBA. You are all a bunch of slightly above average height white kids." You want to know who said that? Coach! We had a 29-1 record and nearly won the state champs in our school size.....but that didn't translate to success beyond high school. And that was what he was trying to explain to us.

Same coach different quote: "What the hell is wrong with you? Are you just jerkingoff in class? Are you even going to class? You don't go to basketball and play school!!! You go to school and you play basketball!!! NOW GET YOUR A**ES TO STUDY HALL AND DO YOUR F-IN HOMEWORK!!!"

I loved that guy. Thankfully I was one of the 'nerdy' ball players who maintained a decent GPA. However my ball skills suffered. So instead of getting yelled at about my grades I got yelled at because I couldn't hit a jump shot.
Yes. I'm well aware of the economic downturn and outsourcing. No one is ever immune to that. (Aero Engineers got hit hard 20 years ago when the defense spending decreased.)

People were asking about higher paying jobs and while some of those fields have suffered, others like physical therapy have boomed.

Simply put, getting an education in the harder sciences at least gives you some opportunities (but there are no guarantees in life) that are not going to be there for someone that just graduates highschool and starts working at UPS loading trucks or on an assembly line.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
In case you hadn't noticed it's the worst economy in decades.

How are the hard science professions in comparison to other forms of employment would be a more intelligent point than complaining that the hard sciences are a bad move because of current unemployment.

Those auto and steel workers have to really be glad they didn't become engineers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics