Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times

Advertisements

Many of todays jobs that require degrees and book learning as a minimum prerequisite are about as mentally stimulating as fastening the same bolt for 8 hrs a day, except......these jobs pay less than the bolt fastening jobs of the past, and staring at a computer screen destroys your vision at a much younger age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM

273 posts, read 700,859 times
When I was 14 I was already mowing yards during the summer, and also had a paper route (paper routes are a thing of the past) then when I turned 15 I began working at a fast food place.

When I turned 16 I purchased my first car which allowed me to find a better job, and I have been working ever since.

In college I waited tables and made good tips, then after college and when I began working at a real job I still worked on the weekends waiting tables to be able to save money.

Today I only buy good clean used cars that have already depreciated in value and pay cash for them; this saves me a lot of money both on the cost and insurance.

When I purchased my home I used my savings to make a 50% down payment and within 5 years making larger than needed payments I had it paid off. This saved me a great deal of money in interests and helped park my savings in a tangible item that was increasing in value (The home). (The value has depreciated but I own it out right)

Again it’s all about personal responsibility. Sure it would have been fun to go out drinking with my friends and having fun but while they were out spending their money I was out making money.

Today several of these “friends” are in serious financial straits but again whose fault is it?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:53 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times
W James !!! wrote:
Today several of these “friends” are in serious financial straits but again whose fault is it?
It's your fault of course. You were too busy working to educate your “friends” about the real value of money.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM

14 posts, read 67,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
It is sad that New Balance is the only athletic shoe company still producing in the USA. This is the problem with the American economy nothing more, we have allowed our politicians to send our jobs overseas and we have converted to a country of consumers and not producers.

YouTube - New Balance: "Made in the USA"
Politicians opened the door, but they did not send the jobs away. You and I pushed the manufacturers out.

I work for a company that manufactures most of its product domestically. We source most of the materials on shore, and only a few of our components come from off shore.

This is no easy feat when most of our competition is sourcing off shore, and only assembling in the states. That is another topic. Beware what "Made in America" really means.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,293,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaner88 View Post
Politicians opened the door, but they did not send the jobs away. You and I pushed the manufacturers out.

I work for a company that manufactures most of its product domestically. We source most of the materials on shore, and only a few of our components come from off shore.

This is no easy feat when most of our competition is sourcing off shore, and only assembling in the states. That is another topic. Beware what "Made in America" really means.
The corporate CEO’s and Wall St. gangsters in their never ending quest for higher profits to justify their 100 million dollar salaries are the driving force behind outsourcing. They are the ones who buy and direct the "to the highest payer" politicians. To blame the people to whom the politicians hold in contempt for a problem that they really had no control over is a cop out. The people tried to "buy American" in the 80's and early 90's to no avail. The corporate powers and corrupt politicians continued to enact trade policies such as NAFTA that ensured outsourcing would pressure all industries to move jobs overseas. The wealthy and the government are out of control, if the people do not stand up and revolt, they and their descendents will live on their knees and have only what their masters decide they deserve.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The corporate CEO’s and Wall St. gangsters in their never ending quest for higher profits to justify their 100 million dollar salaries are the driving force behind outsourcing. They are the ones who buy and direct the "to the highest payer" politicians. To blame the people to whom the politicians hold in contempt for a problem that they really had no control over is a cop out. The people tried to "buy American" in the 80's and early 90's to no avail. The corporate powers and corrupt politicians continued to enact trade policies such as NAFTA that ensured outsourcing would pressure all industries to move jobs overseas. The wealthy and the government are out of control, if the people do not stand up and revolt, they and their descendents will live on their knees and have only what their masters decide they deserve.
bravo!

it is pretty clear that the politicians don't listen to what the people want, and clearly don't care what people want.

we are already seeing the sphere of government trying to expand their power over the public by dictating what drinks may be sold, how much salt goes into food, etc. all of these tiny little things are a harbinger of what is to come if americans don't stand up now. it will be a country of special government-tied interests with little choice, at their mercy.

little iceland is standing up to tyranny, so why aren't we?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The piece of paper is the only way you can even get an entry level job in most fields.
No its not, that is just want today's generation of college students has been sold. I know a number of people from the working class town I grew up in that are doing fine without a college degree. These are not oldsters either, people in their 20's and 30's.

Quote:
Manufacturing jobs were the backbone of the robust middle class of the 40's-60's
Perhaps on mars, but not here on earth. This is just romanticizing the past, factory work has always been working class. The industrial revolution significantly reduce the level of skill required to manufacture, as a result the jobs could not command a high wage.

Its actually quite amazing that you believe people were pulling in high wages to do low and semi-skilled labor in the 40's~60's, as if the laws of supply and demand were not applicable in this time period. Lower skilled work does not command a high salary because a very large potion of the work force can do it.

Quote:
The US has been bleeding manufacturing and blue collar jobs for decades, and they are never coming back.
Of course it has, technology has revolutionized manufacturing and has rendered even lower skill work. And when the capital out-lay for automation does not make sense there are other countries that are willing to do the work in return for our high tech goods.

Tell me, why would low skill manufacturing jobs pay more than low skill service jobs? Its rather odd how much people romanticize manufacturing jobs. Ironically its usually from people that have never worked in a factory.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:09 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,204,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No its not, that is just want today's generation of college students has been sold. I know a number of people from the working class town I grew up in that are doing fine without a college degree. These are not oldsters either, people in their 20's and 30's.
Really? How many work in computer science, accounting, engineering, teaching, medicine, psychology, systems design, economics, all of which have huge education barriers to entry ....basically anything outside of sales, manufacturing, or low end service?

Quote:
Perhaps on mars, but not here on earth. This is just romanticizing the past, factory work has always been working class. The industrial revolution significantly reduce the level of skill required to manufacture, as a result the jobs could not command a high wage.
Are you kidding me? People are still starting on the auto lines at over 30k a year with full benefits. In 1970, the median manufacturing wage was almost $19 an hour in todays dollars (almost 40k a year, without OT). I dont make that RIGHT NOW with a college degree and 6 years of experience. If 40k isnt middle class (which is just shy of the median male full time wage in this country), Im not exactly sure what you do consider middle class.

Quote:
Its actually quite amazing that you believe people were pulling in high wages to do low and semi-skilled labor in the 40's~60's,
"High" no, middle class, yes.

Quote:
as if the laws of supply and demand were not applicable in this time period. Lower skilled work does not command a high salary because a very large potion of the work force can do it.
The demand for manufacturing jobs was a hell of alot higher then.

Quote:
Tell me, why would low skill manufacturing jobs pay more than low skill service jobs? Its rather odd how much people romanticize manufacturing jobs. Ironically its usually from people that have never worked in a factory.
Probably mostly because of the proliferation of unions in manufacturing and construction, that were never a big force in low wage service work.

By the way, it doesnt take working in a factory to read statistics.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,333 times
User_id please read my post where I talk about my grandfather on this thread. These guys made good money. My grandfather did well and rose to the top. We are for the most part over educated and poorly paid.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Really? How many work in computer science, accounting, engineering, teaching, medicine, psychology, systems design, economics, all of which have huge education barriers to entry
Huh? Some jobs typically require higher education...but so what? That has always been the case for a rather long time. The important question is whether someone is able to make a decent living without a piece of paper and the answer is yes. Not only are there jobs with decent pay that one can get without having a degree, there are no degree requirements to start a business.

Quote:
In 1970, the median manufacturing wage was almost $19 an hour in todays dollars
The median wage in manufacturing is currently around $18/hour.

Quote:
"High" no, middle class, yes.
$19/hour is not middle-class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics