Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When buying a product, does country of origin matter to you?
Yes - Price is not a problem as long as it's made in the USA 3 27.27%
Yes - If it's compariable but a little more expense I'll buy American 4 36.36%
Yes - If they are the same price I'll buy American 2 18.18%
No - Doesn't matter about price I like foreign goods 1 9.09%
No - It's all about the price, the cheaper the better 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,286,083 times

Advertisements

Now that Walmart is going this way, I can see this as a great stepping stone towards American Nationalism. Other countries support/protect their own products... why shouldn't we as Americans like our own stuff?

Wal-Mart branches out into locally grown produce | Business | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/PE_Biz_S_web_only_produce.4159273.html - broken link)

Price of fuel driving some jobs back home | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-jobsreturn_29emp.ART.State.Edition1.4d8fef9.html - broken link)

When your out shopping, does country of origin matter to you?

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 07-03-2008 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times
It does to a point as long as quality and price are the same compared to another country.... I don't like American carmakers because a lot of their cars are manufactured somewhere else while Japanese carmakers are more likely manufactured here and are of equal or better quality... I am looking to buying a Chevy Volt in the future which will be manufactured here but if a Japanese carmaker makes a better plug-in hybrid than Chevy and at a good price point.. my money is going to them...

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,286,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It does to a point as long as quality and price are the same compared to another country.... I don't like American carmakers because a lot of their cars are manufactured somewhere else while Japanese carmakers are more likely manufactured here and are of equal or better quality... I am looking to buying a Chevy Volt in the future which will be manufactured here but if a Japanese carmaker makes a better plug-in hybrid than Chevy and at a good price point.. my money is going to them...
From what I've read, the quality of American cars have rose considerably... and I would seriously consider an American car in the future like the Volt.

I think all cars have parts that are manufactured all over the world. But, a car manufacturer isn't just the manufacturing segment. By buying an "American" brand, your also supporting the entire infrastructure up to the the office workers in Detroit, the designers, the engineers, and the side industries like the accounting firm in NY that supports them... etc. etc.

Who said old dogs can't learn new tricks?
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 07-03-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,876 times
Country of origin matters greatly to me when it comes to food. I will not buy any food made or grown in China.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
From what I've read, the quality of American cars have rose considerably... and I would seriously consider an American car in the future like the Volt.

I think all cars have parts that are manufactured all over the world. But, a car manufacturer isn't just the manufacturing segment. By buying an "American" brand, your also supporting the entire infrastructure up to the the office workers in Detroit, the designers, the engineers, and the side industries like the accounting firm in NY that supports them... etc. etc.

Who said old dogs can't learn new tricks?
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

-chuck22b
Definitely, I think American cars are making lots of headways into quality... this wasn't true in the past because they were trying to increase profits and instead saw declining profits as higher quality Japanese cars were taking over the market. They have changed in the last decade or so to improving quality in American cars to compete but I don't know if it was soon enough especially with all the economic turmoil. They should of never taken the "cheap" route but their egos got in the way... and they lost BIG in that respect... They need to earn back their reputation of building good cars... they want my money... then build me a Chevy Volt that I can be proud of and recommend to other people cause a LOT of car buying is from people recommending to other people... You make a bad product, people ARE going to know about it... I suspect it may be too late for some of the American automakers but not for others, they have a chance and I hope (praying) that they will do it right this time around or they will be bankrupted and taken over by foreign automakers... I hope the Chevy Volt uses the latest in battery technology (i.e. NOT lead-based batteries) and improving fuel economy... if it does well, I may buy future Chevy cars, if it is a dud, then automakers are in a heap of trouble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics