Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times

Advertisements

IMO this should be required reading for all who have even one Credit Card to stay ahead of the CC companies.

The lite version.....
New Credit Card Rules - Credit Cardholder's Bill of Rights Act of 2009 - H.R. 627

The act explained in detail.....
Text of S.392 as Introduced in Senate: Credit Card Reform Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Credit CARD Act of 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I really thnik the real thing people ahve to realise is that waht congress did was to make easy crdit a thing of the past. The intend was to stop alot pf people from getting credit because that was the problem. People getting credit they couldn't pay back. Its similar to teh action of banking regulators in the 80's ;they require banks to increase the per centage of secured laons and for those secued to be backed with assets that more than secured the loans.They did this by removing so of the risk to loan incentive to loan money to people worth the risk. That after encouragign it for years.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,438 times
Since the law passed I have seen my interest rates increase, my credit lines decrease, and the availability to get financing for business diminished.

Thank you, Washington, D.C.

Idiots. At least those who voted in favor of the legislation feel good about themselves.

Now... on to health care!!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Since the law passed I have seen my interest rates increase, my credit lines decrease, and the availability to get financing for business diminished.

Thank you, Washington, D.C.

Idiots. At least those who voted in favor of the legislation feel good about themselves.
Ironically the new laws don't apply to business cards, I guess you'll have to find someone else to blame (may I suggest looking in a mirror).

This legislation is good and provides more fairness and stability in the personal credit card market.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,468 times
I just got a credit line increase.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Ironically the new laws don't apply to business cards, I guess you'll have to find someone else to blame (may I suggest looking in a mirror).
That is not what I was told by American Express just yesterday.

Why would you tell me to look in the mirror? Nothing has changed on my end in 18 months or more. These types of "feel-good" regulations passed by a bunch of insulated, career politicians always have many unintended consequences. Typically, Congress starts with an industry that may indeed need some updated regulations, pass a large bill that looks good on paper and then demonize companies when they don't stand still to get hammered by new regs. I guarantee you the same thing will happen with this legislation. I have already seen numerous news stories on interest rate increases, credit line decreases, accounts cancelled by the back, fees for those who don't carry a balance, etc. Ultimately, there will be calls in Congress for more regulations under the premise that they didn't go far enough. Unfortunately, it becomes a vicious cycle where the freedoms of the consumer end up suffering the most.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
That is not what I was told by American Express just yesterday.
The law only applies to consumer credit cards, not business cards. If American Express cut the line on your business credit card than it is due to your credit profile. They certainly aren't doing this universally, I just got the limit on my business Amex card doubled. But maybe you are using a consumer card for business use.

But businesses should not be relying on credit cards in the first place, its one of the worst ways to finance things. Congress has pumped money into the SBA so they can guarantee loans to crappy credit addicted businesses. Why not complain about that?

Quote:
Why would you tell me to look in the mirror? Nothing has changed on my end in 18 months or more.
Because getting your limit cut ultimately is related to your personal and business credit profiles. Credit has definitely tightened over the last 18 months though, but that has more to do with the collapse of the credit bubble rather than regulations on consumer credit cards.

Quote:
I have already seen numerous news stories on interest rate increases, credit line decreases, accounts cancelled by the back, fees for those who don't carry a balance, etc.
These things were occurring before the regulations were even being discussed. To what degree the new regulations have contributed to rate increases and limit cuts is completely unknown as this would have occurred regardless, but that does not stop people from blaming politicians.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The law only applies to consumer credit cards, not business cards. If American Express cut the line on your business credit card than it is due to your credit profile. They certainly aren't doing this universally, I just got the limit on my business Amex card doubled. But maybe you are using a consumer card for business use.

But businesses should not be relying on credit cards in the first place, its one of the worst ways to finance things. Congress has pumped money into the SBA so they can guarantee loans to crappy credit addicted businesses. Why not complain about that?
Gee, thanks for the cash management advice. Most Amex cards are not credit cards. We have a Gold Card that we pay off each month. I was applying for a new Gold Card for a second corporation that we just formed with a new partner. When talking with Amex yesterday about why I had not received the Gold cards that they said were coming three weeks ago they said that they needed more things to complete my application due to the law that took effect on Feb 22.

So the law was not supposed to apply to business accounts but clearly Amex is applying it to business and personal accounts. This is an good example of the unintended consequences that I mentioned.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Most Amex cards are not credit cards. We have a Gold Card that we pay off each month.
Then why are you talking about interest rates and limits? The gold card has neither. What makes your claims even odder is that the laws apply to credit cards and not charge cards whether they are personal or business.

Quote:
So the law was not supposed to apply to business accounts but clearly Amex is applying it to business and personal accounts.
If true then American Express is doing it because they want to do it, not because politicians are forcing them to do it.

Quote:
This is an good example of the unintended consequences that I mentioned.
It is?!?! How in the world would a change in consumer credit card laws cause American Express to change their underwriting policies for their business charge cards? That does not even make sense.

Another oddity is that you originally spoke of it being more difficult to get financing, now you are talking about troubles getting a charge card.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Then why are you talking about interest rates and limits? The gold card has neither. What makes your claims even odder is that the laws apply to credit cards and not charge cards whether they are personal or business.

If true then American Express is doing it because they want to do it, not because politicians are forcing them to do it.

It is?!?! How in the world would a change in consumer credit card laws cause American Express to change their underwriting policies for their business charge cards? That does not even make sense.

Another oddity is that you originally spoke of it being more difficult to get financing, now you are talking about troubles getting a charge card.

I was talking about several accounts when I referenced credit lines, interest rates and credit availability.

And yes, Amex voluntarily gave me a set of hoops that was also part of the new regulations at the exact same time that new regs took effect. I guess you could call that a coincidence. To me it seems related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics