Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:23 PM

49 posts, read 163,118 times

Advertisements

So here is an interesting situation...I am 23 years old and have no credit history. Not bad credit, but no credit.

So how can I apply for a credit card and start getting a credit history? I am no longer a student, so student credit cards are out, but I am full-time employed with a salary of 72K per year.

I did try to apply for one department store credit card which claimed an instant decision, but I got a message saying that they couldn't process my application instantly and would send me written notice about how to proceed within 30 days.

This is well and good and all, but I am moving next month and had been hoping to have the card by then in case of emergency/unforeseen costs come up during the move. I fear that by the time I receive the notice and furnish whatever additional information they require, it will be too late for them to send me the card by the time I move. I suppose it is my fault for waiting this long, but I also didn't think I'd have any trouble given my income. I guess a few irresponsible ruined it for the rest of us...

Any advice on how to proceed or how I might be able to get a card before I move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 06:21 PM

34,123 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIBuckHunter View Post
I am 23 years old and have no credit history. Not bad credit, but no credit.
full-time employed with a salary of 72K per year.
Where do you go with your weekly paycheck?

From the basic checking and savings account at a major bank...
get a small limit or even a guaranteed VISA card.

Then use it for everything and pay it off immediately.
After 6 months... raise the limit.
Another 6 months... raise it again.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Alternatively, you could try one the credit card "portals" for lack of a better word. Credit card dot com or credit karma, for example. I've never used either to try and get a credit card but they both have screen processes that attempt to match credit cards to your credit. Expect high interest rates and low credit limits. Then there's the pre-paid credit cards. They have fees, and I'm dubious about how much they actually do to give you a credit history seeing as how they're not actually credit.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
When I was getting out of college most credit cards where restrictive and not many had them.my parents only has gasoline credit cards and account otherwise at store and car loans .My first credit card was a gasoline card that mu father co-sign for in college. it was transferred to my name only after college. Next I started a bank account and savings. After one year I had save enough to get a car with large down payment and got loan from that bank. I can eve remember when I first started getting mail offers for pre approved credit cards Still do. I got first Visa at same bank. Started Discover and to this day have visa and discover plus gasoline car. My advice is to start a accounts at bank or credit union then later apply with them.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM

433 posts, read 1,229,799 times
I would join the RTP Federal or Coastal Federal Credit Union once you move to the RTP area.

They will be able to give a person starting out a better chance to build a credit history.

Start by having your paycheck direct deposited into your account there.

Once you have been saving money every month, and have a build up of around 1,000 sitting in your savings account, ask them about applying for a credit card.

You can then borrow a small amount and pay it back over time (even paying it off early). (their interest rates should be very good.)

Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,171,432 times
i just got one through my bank. i had been banking with them for a few years and always kept a healthy balance. that plus proof of my salary was enough to get a card with a $3,000 limit despite no credit card history.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
Stay away from store credit cards, they are worthless as "emergency" anything. Just go online at whatever place you do your banking and apply or www.creditcards.com and pick the one that looks the best. My 22 year old son got his first card while shopping on Amazon and just clicking the button. He had no credit history and makes $9 an hour part time but still got instant approval. Terrible interest rate but it doesn't matter since he just pays off whatever he charges.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
My first credit card was a student credit card. I had no credit history at the time and was accepted.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,729,642 times
Just go to where ever you bank at and apply for one. I got my first one when I was 18 and no credit either. Walked in, said I want to apply for a credit card. they handed me the application. I filled it out. Few days later they called me to come get my credit card.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 AM

49 posts, read 163,118 times
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I got a call from the bank of the card I applied to, and after verifying some information they were able to approve me for the credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics