Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,300,139 times

Advertisements

An excellent think piece on the current economic situation by former Secretary of the Treasury and President of Harvard University, Dr. Lawrence Summers.

Sobering, but not defeatist. There's no happy news there, however. I wonder where we'd be if we had this guy back running Treasury instead of Paulson, and if we had Paul Volcker back as the Fed chairman instead of Bernanke.

FT.com / Comment & analysis / Analysis - Big Freeze part 4: A US recovery

Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,019,256 times
Bob from down south wrote:
I never said the cash reserve should all be in dollars...
How much safer are the other currencies if the US goes down?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM

2,888 posts, read 7,144,969 times
Signs of the times?

Two of the bulwarks of Boulder's economy are entrepreneurial start-ups and quasi-governmental science/research facilities and programs.

In today's (August 8. 2008) Boulder Daily Camera:

Crocs lays off 75 people
Company also reports lower profits, revenue
(http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/aug/07/crocs-lays-least-50-sources-say/ - broken link)

and

NCAR shuts down climate impacts center
Well-known senior scientist loses job
(http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/aug/07/Boulder-ncar-shuts-down-climate-impacts-center/ - broken link)
Quote:
NCAR has decided to close Glantz's program, known for its cutting edge social science research. NCAR officials blamed budget cuts, saying the program wasn't a high enough priority to qualify for shrinking resources.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,588,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Check out Rep. Don Young's scathing oration to the "do nothing about domestic energy production/not open for discussion" congress. Note Nancy Pelosi staring vacuously at her desk.

YouTube - Rep Don Young Urges Producing American Energy & Opening ANWR
Sockeye, thank you for this link.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
"A private equity billionaire, a former federal government official and a Baltimore newsletter editor have made a documentary film that they hope can do what an endless parade of policy papers has not: Persuade Americans that debt has created a looming economic crisis that would make the Great Depression look like a market correction.

The movie, "I.O.U.S.A.," premiering Aug. 21, is an 87-minute alarm on what it calls the tsunami of debt bearing down on the United States' future, caused by the rising national debt, the trade imbalance and the pending costs of baby boomers cashing in on entitlements."

from

'I.O.U.S.A.,' a documentary film about the U.S. budget deficit, will open Aug. 21 - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-11-2008, 09:21 AM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
Charles, thanks for the link. That's one I'll be sure to see.

Meanwhile, I've been wondering lately why foreigners aren't buying up foreclosed homes in the USA. [ I'm aware that the Chrysler Building and other "prime" properties have been snapped up recently due to the weak dollar, etc. ]

Today there is news that a few billion dollars of REO properties have indeed been bought by one or more sovereign wealth funds, on the cheap, for as little as 31-cents on the dollar. Got this link off of Bloomberg site: LOST SOVEREIGNITY - New York Post

My parents generation sold it's scrap metal to Japan in the 1930's, then got it back at Pearl Harbor one Sunday morning. Now we pay huge prices for oil, and our nation is being bought out from under us, with our own money.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,300,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Charles, thanks for the link. That's one I'll be sure to see.

Meanwhile, I've been wondering lately why foreigners aren't buying up foreclosed homes in the USA. [ I'm aware that the Chrysler Building and other "prime" properties have been snapped up recently due to the weak dollar, etc. ]

Today there is news that a few billion dollars of REO properties have indeed been bought by one or more sovereign wealth funds, on the cheap, for as little as 31-cents on the dollar. Got this link off of Bloomberg site: LOST SOVEREIGNITY - New York Post

My parents generation sold it's scrap metal to Japan in the 1930's, then got it back at Pearl Harbor one Sunday morning. Now we pay huge prices for oil, and our nation is being bought out from under us, with our own money.
I'm not sure this is such a bad thing...for the US that is...though it looks like these are small numbers in the grand scheme of things. Houses left emply don't necessarily make good investments. If flipping these properties is the goal, well, there may well be a whole bunch more disappointed SWF investors to join the ranks of those who provided cash infusions to corrupt and failing US investment banks. If cash-flowing these houses and putting them up for rent is the goal...it'll keep rents depressed and help out renters at a time where nearly all of their other costs are skyrocketing. At any rate, it provides some demand for a gross oversupply of houses that our hideously overleveraged masses can no longer finance, and the properties can't exactly be packed up and moved to the mideast...

All it would take is some appropriate tax law to prompt those foreign owners to drop their interest in these properties...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 AM

What's this world coming to? I find myself in agreement with Bob once again.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM

862 posts, read 2,623,787 times
Smile Oil drops to $114 per barrel!

Oil below $114 for first time since May - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

Some "good news" among the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One of the great "myths" of this time period is that speculation alone has led to $140/barrel oil.
We should call Mythbusters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Sorry, LBear, but I can't get excited over oil at $134/bbl. Granted, it's better than $150+.
Are you somewhat happy now? Maybe $100 or less? Will $95 a barrel do?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 PM

I think that most of us are happy to see that it has dropped to $114, but we've all witnessed the hair trigger price increases of the past few months. Although I'm happy ( a very nervous happiness ) to see $114, I'm well aware that something could happen and send it up to $150 almost overnite. If I had an SUV, I'd still keep it parked in the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics