Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
How can the public "innovate" or "work hard" when the jobs are all overseas?

America's industrial base is in ruin so if you don't make anything how can you generate new wealth or innovate to grow the economy? You can''t..........
Some of the greatest innovations occur when we're forced to stop resting on our laurels.

This recession/depression could be what turns the tide....or I suppose it may not be.

Either way I'm going to grab a good seat on the 50 yd line and root for the home team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 02:40 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Are you referring to the studies produced by H1B sponsoring companies which were written to further their agendas rather than as pure research?
No, there is plenty of government research on it. There are also a number of law suits. None of it has found anything but relatively minor violations.

Quote:
The fact is that the US has a lot of un-utilized talent which would serve our needs better if companies were forced to invest in training those people rather than being free to import workers from other countries.
Right you're thinking of more low-skill jobs that one can easily "train" people to do, but these are not the sort of jobs that people are getting H1B visas for. Advanced expertise in some areas can take many years to develop and even technical knowledge can take a long time to learn. One can't expect a company who needs a job done today to hire someone and train them for 2-3 years...

Quote:
You've said that this was obvious, but now you're saying that it's complicated. Which one is it?
Yes its obvious and I never suggested it was "complicated", I did elaborate the meaning of correlate though.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
These companies interview American workers just to satisfy the law. They never hire them. They hire the foreigners.

As far as the prevailing wage thing goes...this is from Wikipedia:

The "prevailing wage" stipulation is allegedly vague and thus easy to manipulate[citation needed], resulting in employers underpaying visa workers. According to Ron Hira, assistant professor of public policy at the Rochester Institute of Technology, the median wage in 2005 for new H-1B information technology (IT) was just $50,000, which is even lower than starting wages for IT graduates with a B.S. degree. The U.S. government OES office's data indicates that 90 percent of H-1B IT wages were below the median U.S. wage for the same occupation. [
everyone knows that H1B visas are a big business subsidy. i think that we have to realize that it is a bipartisan effort to bring in cheap labor into this country as evidenced by the "immigration act" of 2006:Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if people reelect these bill sponsors, they deserve what they get.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:27 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
everyone knows that H1B visas are a big business subsidy. i think that we have to realize that it is a bipartisan effort to bring in cheap labor into this country as evidenced by the "immigration act" of 2006:Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if people reelect these bill sponsors, they deserve what they get.
Well I wouldn't say 50K is cheap and imo certainly not a slave wage.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
I just have to wonder if any of the pro H1B people who post on these forums, have actually worked with H1Bs or have worked for a company who hires them and sees the loopholes and shenanigans that go down to get these people hired.
Or personally know or work(ed) with the people whose livelihoods that have been decimated by large scale corporation implementation of this program? I really really wonder...

Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I just have to wonder if any of the pro H1B people who post on these forums, have actually worked with H1Bs or have worked for a company who hires them and sees the loopholes and shenanigans that go down to get these people hired.
Or personally know or work(ed) with the people whose livelihoods that have been decimated by large scale corporation implementation of this program? I really really wonder...
I have known a number of people that worked here on H1B visas...and in terms of "know people whose livelihoods that have been decimated"...well that just begs the question.

The H1B program only allows a modest number of workers each year it even in principle can't cause the sort of widespread effects as you guys want to believe.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 AM

You are correct it is not entirely the H1B program that is the issue - that is a huge issue within certain industries for sure: IT, computer, and electronics industry related mainly. But all the large corporations HATE having to hire any permanent American workers it seems, and it seems that the politicians are right in there pandering to these large corps that get them elected.
Yet the corps want Americans to buy their products? Makes no sense to me. We are not going to be able to afford them much longer. And the corps are certainly finding new marketplaces within BRIC it seems...
Thus the reason that small business initiatives are very very important to the future success of this country in my meager opinion. Most small businesses don't pull the shenanigans, they don't have the clout.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
But all the large corporations HATE having to hire any permanent American workers it seems.
Why would the hate hiring permanent American workers? Makes no sense. A high tech companies' employees are their greatest asset. Losing key employees to another company can mean failure.

Now the guy cleaning the toilet? Yeah, they really don't care whether he goes or stays. He can be replaced in a few hours.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM

You would think that a high tech companies employees are assets... you would like to think that. but everyone is a $$ amount, a resource. That is all.

Last edited by gardener34; 02-14-2010 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
You would think that a high tech companies employees are assets... you would like to think that. but everyone is a $$ amount, a resource. That is all.
Yes everyone is a resource and as with all resources there is the issue of how hard it is to replace. Tech employees, especially the higher up ones, are not easy to replace. They are the live blood of the company and these companies are well aware of it.

But of course companies are not going to go out of their way to keep employees that they can easily replace. Why in the world would they? They are not charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics