Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I don't get what you're driving at here.
The point is that anybody can work hard and contribute to the wealth of the nation. The only thing that will cause this country to "die" is a lack of hard work and innovation.

Quote:
Really? How so?
The people working minimum wage jobs generally, 1.) lack money to start businesses, 2.) lack the intelligence to produce innovative ideas (hence..why they are working minimum wage).

The median personal income in the US is around $32k and and its considerably higher for just men (around $40k). So yes the vast majority of people are making more than minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The people working minimum wage jobs generally, 1.) lack money to start businesses, 2.) lack the intelligence to produce innovative ideas (hence..why they are working minimum wage)
Can you cite a source for #2, or are you just letting us know what's in your head?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Can you cite a source for #2, or are you just letting us know what's in your head?
Are you seriously asking whether there are studies that demonstrate a correlation between intelligence and income?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,799 times
That slideshow is positively frightening. It's hard idea to swallow that right now, as a 24 year old individual, things will be far harder for me than it ever could have been for my parents.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Quote:
Are you seriously asking whether there are studies that demonstrate a correlation between intelligence and income?
Not at all. I'm asking if you have any studies to back up your assertion that lower paid workers generally lack the intelligence to produce innovative ideas.

You'll get extra credit if you're able to prove your point without tripping over your third paragraph points out that women earn less on average than men.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 02-07-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
The point is that anybody can work hard and contribute to the wealth of the nation. The only thing that will cause this country to "die" is a lack of hard work and innovation. Rather opinionated point of view wouldn't you say?

The people working minimum wage jobs generally, 1.) lack money to start businesses, 2.) lack the intelligence to produce innovative ideas (hence..why they are working minimum wage). Wow! This is just to imperious an attitude to believe!

The median personal income in the US is around $32k and and its considerably higher for just men (around $40k). So yes the vast majority of people are making more than minimum wage. Still don't believe that the majority are cranking in the bucks. With buying power shredded just how far will 32>40K go? Wages are stagnant today.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Not at all. I'm asking if you have any studies to back up your assertion that lower paid workers generally lack the intelligence to produce innovative ideas.
That was not my assertion. My assertion was that those making minimum wage are are generally lower on the intelligence scale and are therefore not likely to produce innovative ideas.

So since you're not questioning that intelligence and salary are correlated, the issue is that you want me to supply studies that show that innovation is linked to intelligence? Seriously? I mean if you want the studies I'm sure I can find them in a few seconds...but really?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Still don't believe that the majority are cranking in the bucks. With buying power shredded just how far will 32>40K go? Wages are stagnant today.
I never stated that the majority are "cranking in the bucks", rather I said the vast majority make more than minimum wage.

$32~$40k can go pretty far. If the idea is that everyone in the US should be "cranking in the bucks" or we are "dying and not going to recover" than that is pretty silly.

Anyhow, it seems pretty simple to me that if the nation as a whole works hard and innovates that it will succeed and if it does not it will decline. All the legitimate problems facing the nation can be solved with some "elbow grease". Of course, some for some bizarre reason like to be fatalistic.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Default Two more reasons...

Well, they left out two major reasons our economy will never recover:

Third World immigration is changing the character of 'The American People'. We used to have a great mix...maybe the best there ever was. But politicians, corporations, and do-gooders, couldn't leave well enough alone. They had to import people from places not known for industriousness, honesty, or smarts. Now, our collective IQ is plummeting, and personal traits like honesty and restraint are becoming things of the past. The American People built America. The New American People probably can't rebuild it.

Our politicians are a pack of whores, being bought by hostile foreign interests. I'm not talking about megamillion-dollar bribes, here. A few thou will buy a congressman. A few hundred thou will get you all the way to the top. Every stupid regulation that makes American industry less competitive makes some foreign industrialist richer. Well worth a few bribes. And hostile governments, who routinely deploy their own economic hit men to influence American politics, would like nothing more than to see America simply dissolve.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Third World immigration is changing the character of 'The American People'. We used to have a great mix...maybe the best there ever was. But politicians, corporations, and do-gooders, couldn't leave well enough alone. They had to import people from places not known for industriousness, honesty, or smarts.
haha.....Yeah America is doomed because all those brown people! Good olde fashion racist fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Now, our collective IQ is plummeting...
It has? How does one know this? Its not the nation is given a "collective IQ" test each year. There has not been a major shift in things like SAT scores and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics