Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,574,175 times

Advertisements

Solar is getting cheap: costs state by state - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Solar-is-getting-cheap-costs-apf-3572489163.html?x=0&.v=2 - broken link)

Thinking solar power? It's never been cheaper - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Thinking-solar-power-Its-apf-2489445962.html?x=0&.v=1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,320,501 times
Tax credits destroyed the solar industry during the Carter yrs. The 'marketeers' (talking sleeze bags) re-entered the industry again a couple yrs ago, and it has gone to the dogs. It was great to talk and work with the quality industry experts BEFORE the credits came back.

Too bad

Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,250,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tax credits destroyed the solar industry during the Carter yrs. The 'marketeers' (talking sleeze bags) re-entered the industry again a couple yrs ago, and it has gone to the dogs. It was great to talk and work with the quality industry experts BEFORE the credits came back.

Too bad
How did tax credits destroy the solar industry?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
StealthRabbit..can you give a bit more detail about these "marketeers" ?

Are these people that just chase a hot market looking to make $$$$ ?
Installers or actual companies that make solar products ?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,796,941 times
Solar is still to expensive and not for the technically inept. It is a good technology for industrial users and scientists, but is way too pricey for general use. Local building codes and zoning laws can make the installation of solar panels all but impossible. Unreliability of sunshine coupled with simple weathering and dirt adds to the headaches. If power storage is needed batteries will be used and replaced on a regular basis, increasing energy input and possible pollution. Solar thermal has been used for over a century for heating and it is inexpensive and reliable. However, solar photovoltaic costs a lot more and is half as efficient. I would rather use my roof as a hydroponic garden and eat my solar energy. Gasification of waste or even wind power are good alternatives. Personally I would prefer home nuclear power which is much better than solar.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,245,426 times
I'll trade you some electricty from my PV's for a few chemical-free non-genetically altered vegetables Rick!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:33 AM

20,186 posts, read 23,906,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Solar is still to expensive and not for the technically inept. It is a good technology for industrial users and scientists, but is way too pricey for general use. Local building codes and zoning laws can make the installation of solar panels all but impossible. Unreliability of sunshine coupled with simple weathering and dirt adds to the headaches. If power storage is needed batteries will be used and replaced on a regular basis, increasing energy input and possible pollution. Solar thermal has been used for over a century for heating and it is inexpensive and reliable. However, solar photovoltaic costs a lot more and is half as efficient. I would rather use my roof as a hydroponic garden and eat my solar energy. Gasification of waste or even wind power are good alternatives. Personally I would prefer home nuclear power which is much better than solar.
I agree, I think its still way to expensive and not high enough efficiency... however the other problems I think is probably easily fixed... sure grime can build up on the solar panels but if you are building intelligently (probably not good for already built homes), you can clean it easily... I also disagree on batteries... is it great? not really but its getting there and it doesn't need to be replaced that "often" albeit it is pretty toxic to make and dispose of perhaps someone will discover an alternate method of energy storage that is more efficient... For now, its still developing and the reason its taken so long is special interest (utility companies) are trying to kill it and not enough incentive to develop it... I disagree with nuclear power... you have to hire janitors, techs, blah blah blah, you have nuclear waste... you have to buy expensive radioactive materials... I would say its better financially for the family to go with solar than nuclear...

Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,381,110 times
I heard that those solar panels are getting to be the thing to be stolen now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics