Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM

550 posts, read 1,283,432 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation:

I live in TN. I've lived here all my life and never paid state income tax until 2010 when I got a job in KY. I've paid KY state income tax since that time. I've looked into getting hunting and fishing license in KY as well as tuition at KY colleges since I'm thinking about going back to school.

In every case I've found it doesn't matter that I pay taxes and contribute - I have to pay more because I live out of state. Of course I could just lie about my residency but I'm not that kind of guy. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

This makes no sense to me. I could have moved to KY and not worked, not contributed anything and gotten the in state rate for tuition and fishing license. I pay all the taxes a KY resident pays - why shouldn't I get all the same benefits?

The thing is, I don't mind paying taxes for stuff I use. I just don't like paying taxes and getting nothing in return.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Last edited by EVAunit1981; 03-05-2013 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: edit title x2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,508,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Here's my situation:

I live in TN. I've lived here all my life and never paid state income tax until 2010 when I got a job in KY. I've paid KY state income tax since that time. I've looked into getting hunting and fishing license in KY as well as tuition at KY colleges since I'm thinking about going back to school.

In every case I've found it doesn't matter that I pay taxes and contribute - I have to pay more because I live out of state. Of course I could just lie about my residency but I'm not that kind of guy. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

This makes no sense to me. I could have moved to KY and not worked, not contributed anything and gotten the in state rate for tuition and fishing license. I pay all the taxes a KY resident pays - why shouldn't I get all the same benefits?

The thing is, I don't mind paying taxes for stuff I use. I just don't like paying taxes and getting nothing in return.

Perhaps, even though you pay taxes on the earnings you have in Kentucky and pay appropriate taxes on whatever items you purchase in Kentucky, I really doubt you are paying ALL the taxes that a Kentucky resident pays.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM

If I don't pay all, I pay pretty close. I pay state income taxes, city income taxes and am also forced to contribute to the Kentucky Retirement System, the retirement plan for state employees. I know I will never use this, yet I can't opt out. Combined, all this comes out to over $200 per month.

I never paid any of these things in TN.

I also pay sales tax and gasoline tax while in KY.

My job puts me in contact with KY residents who contribute a lot less than I do. Yet, if I decided I legally wanted to go hunting it would cost me about $150 more than them. If I wanted to go to college it would be between 2 to 3 times more expensive than a KY resident.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM

34,099 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
I live in TN.
I've lived here all my life and never paid state income tax until 2010 when I got a job in KY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky
Individual Income Tax is due on all income earned by Kentucky residents
and all income earned by nonresidents from Kentucky sources.

It would appear that KY doesn't want to risk having it's residents move to TN to avoid income taxes.
Either move to KY and get the benefit of the taxes you pay or find a job in TN

Quote:
Those who work in Kentucky but live in Tennessee should report their earnings on Form 740-NP
"Kentucky Individual Income Tax Return Nonresident or Part-Year Resident."

Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,508,022 times
Quote:
Here's my situation:

How did you manage that?

Quote:
The tax table below will show in detail the Tennessee state income tax rates by income tax bracket(s). There are 1 income tax brackets for Tennessee.

If your income range is $0 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 6%.

Income tax brackets data last updated March 3rd, 2009.
Tennessee Income Tax Rates - Tennessee & other state tax rates information. TN tax calculator.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
How did you manage that?
Salaries, wages, Social Security, IRAs and pension income are not taxed.
A 6% tax is levied on stock dividends and interest from bonds and other obligations.
Source

41 states have a broad-based individual income tax.
Only seven states lack an income tax altogether. They are:
  • Alaska Florida Nevada South Dakota
  • Texas Washington Wyoming
Two states have a limited income tax on individuals.

These states tax only dividend and interest income:
  • Tennessee New Hampshire

Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 PM

rrtechno:

MrRational is correct. TN has no state income tax on wages.

I don't mind paying taxes to support roads. That is the only government service that KY provides that I actually use. Although I'm sure a good portion of my federal tax dollars goes towards that. But I digress.

But I'm now paying $2,500+ a year and have nothing to show for it. It's not like the state of Kentucky is spending money on me, providing me with lots of government services. Would it really be so bad if I got charged the in state rates for things? I'm not asking for free stuff. I just want to pay what anyone in KY pays. I see no reason why I shouldn't.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,720,923 times
Default Because its the way the law is written

Quote:
rrtechno:

MrRational is correct. TN has no state income tax on wages.

I don't mind paying taxes to support roads. That is the only government service that KY provides that I actually use. Although I'm sure a good portion of my federal tax dollars goes towards that. But I digress.

But I'm now paying $2,500+ a year and have nothing to show for it. It's not like the state of Kentucky is spending money on me, providing me with lots of government services. Would it really be so bad if I got charged the in state rates for things? I'm not asking for free stuff. I just want to pay what anyone in KY pays. I see no reason why I shouldn't.
The law for hunting licenses is based on where you live--just like the rates for automobilie insurance is based on where you live, not where you work---and there are differences in the state laws concerning insurance coverage which might affect how much you pay even if you only lived 100 yards across the state line.

If you live in TN and work in KY, you still drive on KY roads, might have need of KY emergency vehicle assistance in the event of an accident, still benefit from road maintenance, etc. Your other choice is to petition KY state legislators to change the law to benefit your particular circumstance. That's not likely to occur. So move to KY and see about getting an out of state hunting license in TN. I'm thinking the reciprocal is in effect, and that TN has a higher charge or limited time frame for out of staters.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 PM

Has anyone ever challenged the law in a situation like this?

I have no desire to move to KY, I'm finding a job in TN ASAP. If I ever go back to KY it will be too soon.

As far as using KY roads, yeah I do and I pay for them. I don't mind paying for the stuff I use. I pay income tax to the KY city I work in. I buy gas in Kentucky so I pay gas tax. I pay federal income tax and the federal government gives Kentucky money.

"For every dollar Kentucky sends to Washington in federal taxes, it gets back between $1.51 and $1.82 in federal spending, depending on which study is consulted."

Kentucky tsks, but takes federal funds | Politics and Government | Kentucky.com

And then there's the fact that I have to pay into the Kentucky Retirement System. It's the retirement plan for state employees. I'm not a state employee but I still have to pay into it. I know I'll never use it. I mean, I could if I worked there for 22 years. But I'll never work in Kentucky anywhere near that long. Oh, and I can't opt out of it. It's not like a 401k. But I digress.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Has anyone ever challenged the law in a situation like this?
Good luck.

Most states including KY have a reciprocity arrangement with states that border them.
The distinction is that TN doesn't have an income tax to reciprocate against.

Download that KY tax form: Form 740-NP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics