Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 PM

409 posts, read 2,638,804 times

Advertisements

Suppose you had 50K to start a business and given the US troubled economic times....

What business would you start and why?
1. Location?
2. Target Market?
3. Industry?
4. What makes it stand out from the crowd?
5. .......etc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:30 AM

185 posts, read 969,877 times
Foreclosure cleanup – A service company that removes all of the abandoned belongings from the homes that droves of people are walking away from. Ultra booming business with exponential growth for years to come (Alt-A looming, > 50% of homeowners to be underwater on mortgage by 2011). Should you wish, you could virtually find workers for free by letting them keep what they can carry while you or your manager cherry pick the cream of the loot.

Pawn shop – Synergy! This is where you will sell the goods from the foreclosure cleanup. You’ll also need a staff listing on eBay full time and don’t do fixed listings with set prices (auctions only), otherwise you’ll run out of storage fast from all the unlimited free loot that you are being PAID to take. The pawn shop will also supply you with plenty of constant access to cheap gold from all the jewelry that the unemployed and underemployed will be hocking for pennies on the dollar. Fill your coffers with gold (literally) and don’t unload until an ounce of gold equals the value of the DJIA. i.e. Ounce of gold = $4000, Dow = 4000

Now if Obama Care, Cap ‘n Trade, and any other capitalism killers pass then you may as well use your $50k to load up on Alpo and Ammo instead.

God bless and good luck.

Last edited by simcity; 08-17-2009 at 02:39 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,231,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Suppose you had 50K to start a business and given the US troubled economic times....

What business would you start and why?
1. Location?
2. Target Market?
3. Industry?
4. What makes it stand out from the crowd?
5. .......etc

50k isnt enough to start anything more then maybe a cleaning or vending business.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM

409 posts, read 2,638,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
50k isnt enough to start anything more then maybe a cleaning or vending business.
Thats where the challege is!
Also consider that it
Depends on the Scale of the business.....

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,564,247 times
My wife's sister started a pole dancing studio last year. She had around $30k in capital at start up but honestly only needed $15k. It's now turning a profit after just over 12 months of being open.

They key to starting with low capital is to go into something you are already familiar with.

I know of one guy who started a lawn service company with just a $50 lawnmower and a $25 trimmer. He built his client list working part time and sold it a year later for $40k for just the client list. Then he started another one and rinsed and repeated.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM

185 posts, read 969,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
They key to starting with low capital is to go into something you are already familiar with.
I take it that your wife’s sister had loads of pole dancing experience, mostly during her college years perhaps? Links please.

I actually helped a girl build a stripper/dancing pole a couple years ago and the cost of the materials was only around $100. It’s very sturdy and we found the instructions online for free.

Selling a 1 yr old lawn care client list for $40k sounds like someone made off like a bandit. Seems like you would need to have hundreds of established clients to maybe justify such a price. Simple and yet so lucrative. Kudos to him.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
I take it that your wife’s sister had loads of pole dancing experience, mostly during her college years perhaps? Links please.

I actually helped a girl build a stripper/dancing pole a couple years ago and the cost of the materials was only around $100. It’s very sturdy and we found the instructions online for free.

Selling a 1 yr old lawn care client list for $40k sounds like someone made off like a bandit. Seems like you would need to have hundreds of established clients to maybe justify such a price. Simple and yet so lucrative. Kudos to him.
Nope, she took classes at a now defunct school for fun, and started teaching there. Pole dancing is an exercising fad for women these days, especially down in S. FL (Miami area).

Lawn care is a very simple yet lucrative business. People don't want to spend 20 minutes cutting their lawn in my area so they hire it out. All you need is a lawnmower and a trimmer to get started.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Lawn care is a very simple yet lucrative business. People don't want to spend 20 minutes cutting their lawn in my area so they hire it out. All you need is a lawnmower and a trimmer to get started.

You have to have a large population base of old people or rich people for this. I personally would drag myself out half dead before paying somebody $50 to mow my postage stamp of a lawn.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 AM

My home is priced below $200k. All working class neighborhood. No old or rich people. I think the general rate here is around $25/mow.

Stop making excuses.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
My home is priced below $200k. All working class neighborhood. No old or rich people. I think the general rate here is around $25/mow.

Stop making excuses.
Ok then you need a neighborhood full of idiots.

All of my neighbors mow their own lawns, all of my parents neighbors mow their own lawns. In fact, I only know of one yard in my whole neighborhood that is professionally mowed, and his house is next door to his business.

By the way, I dont know where you live, but you cant even get a neighborhood kid to mow a small lawn for less then $30. Hell, the going rate 15 years ago was $10-$20 for a neighborhood kid.

My company pays a professional lawn care company $160 a month to mow a strip of lawn in St. Louis, MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics