Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,252,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ok then you need a neighborhood full of idiots.

All of my neighbors mow their own lawns, all of my parents neighbors mow their own lawns. In fact, I only know of one yard in my whole neighborhood that is professionally mowed, and his house is next door to his business.

By the way, I dont know where you live, but you cant even get a neighborhood kid to mow a small lawn for less then $30. Hell, the going rate 15 years ago was $10-$20 for a neighborhood kid.

My company pays a professional lawn care company $160 a month to mow a strip of lawn in St. Louis, MO.
Here you can get it all done for $20.00 a week and that is mowing, edging along sidewalks and weeding eating along fence and clean up... It takes two guys about 20 minutes to do it all...

If they have three yards close by that comes to $60.00 an hour or $30.00 and hour each.

The same two trimmed a tree in my yard for $80.00 and it took them about an hour to do it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
More excuses. Keep at it .

You can't argue with RandomDude. He has excuses for everything. I used to live where he does, there were a ton of lawn care companies. He's just jealous that someone cutting grass makes more than him. I doubt he has ever knocked on a strangers door in his life or made a cold call to drum up business.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM

658 posts, read 848,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You have to have a large population base of old people or rich people for this. I personally would drag myself out half dead before paying somebody $50 to mow my postage stamp of a lawn.
Lol!

Last edited by KeraKera; 08-18-2009 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: quote

Old 08-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Calling me an idiot isn't going to make me any less right .

P.S. Why do you hate your life so much?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,206,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Calling me an idiot isn't going to make me any less right .

P.S. Why do you hate your life so much?

Avoiding answering request for evidence of your accusations with proof doesnt make you right.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 AM

I'm still not seeing anywhere on this thread any request for "evidence" (what the hell is that anyway) that you are right. I stated that I know several people who started with a very small amount of capital (my sister in law actually raised it from investors, and she had a mid 500 credit score and 6 figure student loans) and went on to build a business.

It's not as easy as sitting on a computer message board and complaining that life is unfair but the reward is a lot better.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I'm still not seeing anywhere on this thread any request for "evidence" (what the hell is that anyway) that you are right.
A request for evidence? Gee, not sure how much simpler it can get. What part of that simple sentence do you not understand? Request, for, or evidence? I requested that you provide evidence of your accusations with these comments, in the same post;

---What am I making excuses for? Idiot.---

---Wow, Im trying to figure out where I denied there were a lot of lawn care companies.....maybe you can help me out with that....idiot.----

And you answered with this

---Calling me an idiot isn't going to make me any less right---

You acknowledged by this reply that you read, and likely understood my post, yet ignored the requests for you to back up your straw man claims. Which, being impossible, I can understand your reaction of simple ignorance. That is usually the spot blow hard idiots go to when called on their BS.

Quote:
I stated that I know several people who started with a very small amount of capital (my sister in law actually raised it from investors, and she had a mid 500 credit score and 6 figure student loans) and went on to build a business.
Not once did I deny that a person couldnt start a business from little to no capital. Yet amazingly you erected that straw man and attacked it.

By the way, when you borrow money from someone else, thats still capital, its just not YOUR capital, and it has a cost.

Quote:
It's not as easy as sitting on a computer message board and complaining that life is unfair but the reward is a lot better.
Wow, Im STILL trying to figure out where in this post I once said life isnt fair, or anything of the like........thats right, yet another straw man on your part.

You simply have a dislike for me carrying from other posts (which is completely a you problem), and youre trying to extend a baseless attack to unleash your pent up venom (another you problem).

My advice would be to grow up and put on your big boy pants.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 AM

All I'm going to say is it would suck to be you!

The ultimate point is even a lack of funds can't stop you from succeeding here in America, but attitude sure will.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
All I'm going to say is it would suck to be you!

The ultimate point is even a lack of funds can't stop you from succeeding here in America, but attitude sure will.
Id rather be a poorly compensated genius then a well compensated idiot any day of the week.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM

409 posts, read 2,635,145 times
Soooooooooooooo, RandomDude and wheelsup....

The OP was...

Suppose you had 50K to start a business and given the US troubled economic times....

What business would you start and why?
1. Location?
2. Target Market?
3. Industry?
4. What makes it stand out from the crowd?
5. .......etc

Any suggestion other than pole dancing classes and mowing business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics