Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

Last edited by jimj; 04-30-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: dupe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times
(sarcasm on)Why cry over spilt milk? they'll just print some more $$$ to cover it all. And after all, we've got the rest of our lives(and our great grandchildren's lives for that matter) to pay it all back.
So relax, go take in a movie, just be sure to wear your surgical mask in the theater, and take your Tamiflu before you go.(sarcasm off)

Sarcasm aside, that pretty well sums up what a friend of mine said to me this afternoon when I mentioned this to him. I think people are just burning out on the whole scenario. They are tuning out to the old news(economy) and tuning in to the latest "crisis"(pig flu), and have decided to just look to escapism as the fix to it all....."There's nothing you can do about any of it, so just turn off the news, it's making you crazy" was his parting shot. Maybe he has a point?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,371,543 times
I thought that's what the tea party was about.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,858,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm screaming pretty loud today after finding out Chrysler is going through bankruptcy and the American tax payer is going to have to pay back the cash Obama and the democrats gave away. Talk about stupid moves.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
So we gave them money like 2 or 3 times..each time they came back with their hand out and no plan.
Stupid, stupid, stupid. All these bailouts are rewarding the stupid companies while the good solid companies lose customers, employees, the business themselves because of the fallout of the bad companies and our government wants to keep them alive ?

I shake my head and wonder...America has become so corrupt.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
The government is going to providing "debtor-in-prison" financing anyways.

Anyhow, the timing was really bad when Chrysler/GM first asked for money. What happens in an economy has a lot to do with psychology and allowing this companies to go bankrupt they could have caused a lot of panic that ended up costing fair more, in fact the entire financial system could have collapsed. But now things have had time to adjust and institutions have had time to hedge against a bankruptcy.

I always find it a bit funny when people mouth off about "oh just liquidate them, etc" because its obvious that they do not understand the ramifications of doing that.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The government is going to providing "debtor-in-prison" financing anyways.

Anyhow, the timing was really bad when Chrysler/GM first asked for money. What happens in an economy has a lot to do with psychology and allowing this companies to go bankrupt they could have caused a lot of panic that ended up costing fair more, in fact the entire financial system could have collapsed. But now things have had time to adjust and institutions have had time to hedge against a bankruptcy.

I always find it a bit funny when people mouth off about "oh just liquidate them, etc" because its obvious that they do not understand the ramifications of doing that.
Ok, so now that the hype is over... can we liquidate them (ie, all the inefficient, over leveraged companies, banks, etc.)? in some orderly bankruptcies instead of propping them up until govco over leverages itself and taxes the populace?

By weeding out those who are over leveraged, inefficient, and letting them fail, that would bring abouts more competition and thus capital will seek out those best suited for a new economy less based on credit and more on productive resources.

I could almost guarantee you if some of the big boys dissipate, a lot of new competitors perhaps smaller but more of them would pop up. It's a power vacuum ... and if there's a need for that service or product, it will be filled.

Perhaps with Crysler, or GM, or some other company gone... we'd probably see alt-energy vehicles on the road sooner.

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 05-01-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Ok, so now that the hype is over... can we liquidate them (ie, all the inefficient, over leveraged companies, banks, etc.)? in some orderly bankruptcies instead of propping them up until govco over leverages itself and taxes the populace?

By weeding out those who are over leveraged, inefficient, and letting them fail, that would bring abouts more competition and thus capital will seek out those best suited for a new economy less based on credit and more on productive resources.

I could almost guarantee you if some of the big boys dissipate, a lot of new competitors perhaps smaller but more of them would pop up. It's a power vacuum ... and if there's a need for that service or product, it will be filled.

Perhaps with Crysler, or GM, or some other company gone... we'd probably see alt-energy vehicles on the road sooner.

-chuck22b
Well said Chuck. 100% correct.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
HappyTexan wrote:
...America has become so corrupt.
This is not a recent development. I'm just about ready to celebrate the big 6 oh, and america has been corrupt for as long as my memory goes back. As long as we-the-people allow america to be a country OF the corporation, BY the corporation, and FOR the corporation, we-the-people will alway be second class citizens, an after thought to the corruption in Washington.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
HappyTexan wrote:
...America has become so corrupt.
This is not a recent development. I'm just about ready to celebrate the big 6 oh, and america has been corrupt for as long as my memory goes back. As long as we-the-people allow america to be a country OF the corporation, BY the corporation, and FOR the corporation, we-the-people will alway be second class citizens, an after thought to the corruption in Washington.
True... the US and for that matter any Country is for the mega corps and will always be corrupt.

But, there is nothing stopping US from creating/building our own Corporations that are better, more efficient, less bloated, innovative, more socially conscious as the old guards crumble from their own weight.

I actually see a lot of opportunities cropping up as the old guards are faltering.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics