Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times

Advertisements

It certainly smells as fishy as any other DC area suicide the last 10 or 15 years. And that Baxter suicide, the guy from Enron, that was another one.
We're seeing alot of smoke and mirrors from the banks and financial sector( where the government has taken control) and speculators are running the market up, but there's weakness everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Remedy: One very cold straight up vodka martini. Bottle of red wine with dinner followed ny a brandy in jacuzzi.

Works like a charm.
Throw in a good cigar with that.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Ani, I'm not sure if you're being satirical or not, so I will respond as if you were not.

In 1794, the farmers on the western frontier thought they could get away with refusing to pay their tax on whiskey. That is, until Washington showed up with approximately 13,000 militia men. The point is: we cannot be certain of the reactions of the US government.

Seccession's a very drastic maneuver, and should be left off the table. There's no person in the state of North Carolina that can guarantee me the moment independence is declared there won't be a few M1A1 Abrams tanks sitting right out front of the state house in Raleigh. Or, a more probable scenario, the army of the Old North State deciding that any activity at Camp LeJeune or Fort Bragg is a breach of faith and raid them. History repeats itself, Ani, and I would seriously advise anyone throwing around the idea of seccession to consider the possiblity of not being let go so freely.

I feel like Rhett Butler pointing out how many cannon factories there are in the South. However, I didn't stay out most of the night with a Charleston girl and then refuse to marry her.
"Fiddle-dee-dee. War, war, war; this war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring. I get so bored I could scream. Besides... there isn't going to be any war."

Now, Rhett (er, Art) . . . you know I was just trying to point out that this state could be doing a whole lot more than is being done to take care of our own issues (and budget) if our General Assembly would man-up and do what is necessary to balance the state budget and quit playing footsie w/ the feds. That includes everything from healthcare to our schools. We have given away our individual state rights while the feds have given away this country's sovereign rights.

Somewhere along the line, someone needs to take a stand and start dealing w/ meeting the needs (and solving the issues) at the LOCAL LEVEL. Things are so tangled up at this point . . . I totally got it why SC's Governor wanted to refuse "stimulus" money. We might as well not even have borders b/n our states any longer - b/c there is so little that defines each state in this union. We are all subject to the Feds and their regs and the entitlement programs that their regs created - and that Federal $$$ have perpetuated. Massachusetts had the right idea w/ healthcare, but implementation . . . not so sure. At least they were attempting to address the issue at a local/state level.

Something is just WRONG when the federal government collects more taxes from citizens than the STATE government! Why we all seem to accept this - I cannot quite fathom. ????

Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM

56 posts, read 144,697 times
IMHO - Sounds eerily like Enron / Cliff Baxter suicide. Suicided? Jus sayin.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Ani, you're right.

It starts at the local level.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I am more into thnikig that it just shows that there are not many that can handle this type of pressure. They get depressed and then go into a depression that few can understand.Look at the number of people that are just saying no thanks and leaving this environment now days.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
"Fiddle-dee-dee. War, war, war; this war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring. I get so bored I could scream. Besides... there isn't going to be any war."

Now, Rhett (er, Art) . . . you know I was just trying to point out that this state could be doing a whole lot more than is being done to take care of our own issues (and budget) if our General Assembly would man-up and do what is necessary to balance the state budget and quit playing footsie w/ the feds. That includes everything from healthcare to our schools. We have given away our individual state rights while the feds have given away this country's sovereign rights.

Somewhere along the line, someone needs to take a stand and start dealing w/ meeting the needs (and solving the issues) at the LOCAL LEVEL. Things are so tangled up at this point . . . I totally got it why SC's Governor wanted to refuse "stimulus" money. We might as well not even have borders b/n our states any longer - b/c there is so little that defines each state in this union. We are all subject to the Feds and their regs and the entitlement programs that their regs created - and that Federal $$$ have perpetuated. Massachusetts had the right idea w/ healthcare, but implementation . . . not so sure. At least they were attempting to address the issue at a local/state level.

Something is just WRONG when the federal government collects more taxes from citizens than the STATE government! Why we all seem to accept this - I cannot quite fathom. ????
And I agree 100% that the state goverment has a better understanding of where to allocate economic resources in their state. I am very much a proponent of the 10th Amendment. It would be better for local businesses if they didn't have to send out money for FUTA, FICA, and a nice chunk of FIT or at the very least just sending that money to the state. At least the money stays in house. That's one of the reasons why I said I've got issues with the US government. However, I believe a lighter (e.g. a severe reduction of the IRS, non-essential programs, etc.), more flexible government (e.g. the ability to transfer certain duties to the state or citizens, if necessary) would be a better fit at this time, not to mention better for business.

I help my parents with their small business, and wonder how other entrepreneurs navigate the IRS Publications. How many of them fell flat on their face with tax filings and penalties? The IRC can be so esoteric at times.

As you can tell, it just concerns me when talk of secession is used. I don't think people really understand the ramifications of such. I see the economy and business hurting more without the union than with it.

Last edited by Art1979; 04-23-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It certainly smells as fishy as any other DC area suicide the last 10 or 15 years. And that Baxter suicide, the guy from Enron, that was another one.
We're seeing alot of smoke and mirrors from the banks and financial sector( where the government has taken control) and speculators are running the market up, but there's weakness everywhere else.
Some of the story is coming out on BofA and Merrill Lynch. Bernanke and Paulson strong-armed BofA's Lewis:

"At a meeting that evening Secretary Paulson, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, Lewis, Bank of America's CFO, and other officials discussed the issues surrounding invocation of the MAC clause by Bank of America. The Federal officials asked Bank of America not to invoke the MAC until there was further consultation. There were follow-up calls with various Treasury and Federal Reserve officials, including with Treasury Secretary Paulson and Chairman Bernanke. During those meetings, the federal government officials pressured Bank of America not to seek to rescind the merger agreement. We do not yet have a complete picture of the Federal Reserve's role in these matters because the Federal Reserve has invoked the bank examination privilege.
Bank of America's attempt to exit the merger came to a halt on December 21, 2008. That day, Lewis informed Secretary Paulson that Bank of America still wanted to exit the merger agreement. According to Lewis, Secretary Paulson then advised Lewis that, if Bank of America invoked the MAC, its management and Board would be replaced"
Text of Cuomo letter on Merrill Lynch takeover - MarketWatch

(MAC: material adverse event)

Read Cuomo's entire letter. Bernanke and Paulson heavily pressured Lewis to screw BofA's shareholders and bondholders.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,927 times
Can't someone commit suicide these days without there being more than depression?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Can't someone commit suicide these days without there being more than depression?
And depression over money no less. The last murder/suicide where the guy shot his family and himself had to do with him being in over $450K debt and going under.

I guess when you live that high off the hog the thought of bankruptcy and or lower living standards is not an option. Boggles the mind though how money can have so much of a control over people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics