Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankygf View Post
along with the credit card thing...I just got a letter reducing my credit limit by half. I have never paid late, always in full and never carried more than 10% of my limit. Crazy...suppose I wanted to splurge on something big- I would have been very upset...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...et-values.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Y, the average citizen is a complete idiot...

I wish I had the answer to correct this mess.
Secession perhaps?
Maybe America is just to large to be governed as a single unit.
Secession, yes. Wish it were possible. Protect our borders of THIS state if the feds don't seem interested in protecting our union's borders. Just unbelievable. Coin our own money. Hell, we would probably be better off BARTERING at this point in time, anyway.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:25 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,773 times
I really wish we could just split the country in half. Seriously...we are so far apart now and I do not know if we can ever come together again. It seems like a lost cause. I really fear for my children's future and at this point all we can hope and pray for is Divine Intervention for our country. I moved to NC 5 years ago because MA was falling apart. I was so happy when we found Charlotte. I felt so much hope for the future. Now I fear that the entire country is heading down the road of MA & CA.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
I really wish we could just split the country in half. Seriously...we are so far apart now and I do not know if we can ever come together again. It seems like a lost cause. I really fear for my children's future and at this point all we can hope and pray for is Divine Intervention for our country. I moved to NC 5 years ago because MA was falling apart. I was so happy when we found Charlotte. I felt so much hope for the future. Now I fear that the entire country is heading down the road of MA & CA.
If everyone will buck up and get their heads straight in this state, we won't go down the tubes. Just look at NC's history. However, I fear that too many people have moved here who think "progressive" is a good word. Now, I am not talking about being progressive as it relates to social causes but rather in relation to entitlement programs, i.e. handouts. And I see the "stimulus" program as one big entitlement program.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Y, the average citizen is a complete idiot...

I wish I had the answer to correct this mess.
Secession perhaps?
Maybe America is just to large to be governed as a single unit.
I would seriously shy away from the idea secession. All Civil War ire, examination and jokes aside, that would just weaken us further. National defense would suffer greatly. This is one of the few duties I would expect a government to handle. I could definitely see the splinter states becoming puppet nations for other countries (dare I say... new colonies?).

Here in Charlotte, with the current mix of people from other states, I could see broad contempt, if not utter chaos between neighbors. The Tories were treated very poorly after the Revolutionary War. It wasn't like the Treaty of Paris was signed and everyone held hands and skipped off into the sunset. What would happen to those who remained loyal to the US? Exile? Punitive measures? Denial of citizenship? Worse?

I have many, many issues with the US government, but am not one for disintegration. Now, if it didn't take forever and a day to digest The Federalist Papers, I might be able to suggest a thinner, more flexible model from the eyes of the founders. Unfortunately, the only thoughts I have now are an IRS overhaul and a severe delegation of responsibilities between individual and government.

These words hold true: united we stand, divided we fall. That goes for people here in Charlotte and any other swath of land that considers itselfs a part of the US.

Now, just a small observation on the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression, if that's your fancy). I doubt they would let us leave in peace, and the last one was cruel, bloody, and unforgiving. Not only that, but I cannot fight my bretheren. I cannot and will not.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
is that why flags were half mast today in Weddington

Hilarious!!

lol

Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Default He ain't heavy he's my brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post

It's becoming painfully difficult to be a conservative.
Only when you forget what the alternative is.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
I would seriously shy away from the idea secession. All Civil War ire, examination and jokes aside, that would just weaken us further. National defense would suffer greatly. This is one of the few duties I would expect a government to handle. I could definitely see the splinter states becoming puppet nations for other countries (dare I say... new colonies?).

Here in Charlotte, with the current mix of people from other states, I could see broad contempt, if not utter chaos between neighbors. The Tories were treated very poorly after the Revolutionary War. It wasn't like the Treaty of Paris was signed and everyone held hands and skipped off into the sunset. What would happen to those who remained loyal to the US? Exile? Punitive measures? Denial of citizenship? Worse?

I have many, many issues with the US government, but am not one for disintegration. Now, if it didn't take forever and a day to digest The Federalist Papers, I might be able to suggest a thinner, more flexible model from the eyes of the founders. Unfortunately, the only thoughts I have now are an IRS overhaul and a severe delegation of responsibilities between individual and government.

These words hold true: united we stand, divided we fall. That goes for people here in Charlotte and any other swath of land that considers itselfs a part of the US.

Now, just a small observation on the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression, if that's your fancy). I doubt they would let us leave in peace, and the last one was cruel, bloody, and unforgiving. Not only that, but I cannot fight my bretheren. I cannot and will not.
Oh, no. I would not be interested in fighting a war. I would simply like to declare our independence. Then we can have our own treaties w/ the rest of the country (and world). No more federal dollars. Balance our own budget. Collect our own tax money, protect our own borders.

Believe me, we would do much better. The feds already pay a gazillion $$ to every third world country on the map, so even if NC were not part of the union, we would still get FEDERAL AID. And we can have an alliance w/ the USA in re: to protection, just like NATO. However, no IRS, no federal interference w/ re: to laws - the highest court would be our state supreme court. It would greatly simplify things. Nothing would change that much as far as anyone's daily lives. NC is a big as many European countries and if SC or VA or TN wanted to secede w/ us . . . it could at least be up for discussion.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, no. I would not be interested in fighting a war. I would simply like to declare our independence. Then we can have our own treaties w/ the rest of the country (and world). No more federal dollars. Balance our own budget. Collect our own tax money, protect our own borders.

Believe me, we would do much better. The feds already pay a gazillion $$ to every third world country on the map, so even if NC were not part of the union, we would still get FEDERAL AID. And we can have an alliance w/ the USA in re: to protection, just like NATO. However, no IRS, no federal interference w/ re: to laws - the highest court would be our state supreme court. It would greatly simplify things. Nothing would change that much as far as anyone's daily lives. NC is a big as many European countries and if SC or VA or TN wanted to secede w/ us . . . it could at least be up for discussion.
Ani, I'm not sure if you're being satirical or not, so I will respond as if you were not.

In 1794, the farmers on the western frontier thought they could get away with refusing to pay their tax on whiskey. That is, until Washington showed up with approximately 13,000 militia men. The point is: we cannot be certain of the reactions of the US government.

Seccession's a very drastic maneuver, and should be left off the table. There's no person in the state of North Carolina that can guarantee me the moment independence is declared there won't be a few M1A1 Abrams tanks sitting right out front of the state house in Raleigh. Or, a more probable scenario, the army of the Old North State deciding that any activity at Camp LeJeune or Fort Bragg is a breach of faith and raid them. History repeats itself, Ani, and I would seriously advise anyone throwing around the idea of seccession to consider the possiblity of not being let go so freely.

I feel like Rhett Butler pointing out how many cannon factories there are in the South. However, I didn't stay out most of the night with a Charleston girl and then refuse to marry her.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Our prez is also working on how to legalize all of the illegals already here. What kind of message does that convey? We might as well relinquish our sovereignty, and open the borders to whomever the hell wants to come!
The message from the current administration is: I want to hurt our legal US Citizens and raise the unemployment numbers by increasing the labor pool w/illegal aliens, who will take a job away from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics