Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 AM

371 posts, read 1,567,210 times

Advertisements

In all honesty but how is an extra $10-20 a week going to help Americans? Really. I voted for Obama, I like him and I know he is trying and has a very big job ahead of him, but do you really think the packagehe is proposing will do any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Makes us feel warm and fuzzy like he cares. Just like the other stimulus packages, and the bailouts.

They're doing it for our benefit. So we can rest easy knowing the gubmint is taking care of us.

Oh and the cost? Ahhh, to hell with our grandkids.

These politicians won't be in office anymore to worry about the repercussions. Let the next generation deal with it.

That's in the future. We don't worry about such trivialities.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
In all honesty but how is an extra $10-20 a week going to help Americans? Really. I voted for Obama, I like him and I know he is trying and has a very big job ahead of him, but do you really think the packagehe is proposing will do any good?
I didn't like the part about 600,000 more government employees. Some of the laziest working people I have ever had to deal with, like they are doing me a favor for helping me. But I know they aren't all like that.

And no 10 to 20 dollars a week wouldn't do much for me but I can see where it would others.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:44 AM

I can see where it might help someone maybe pay a bill but I doubt it's going to boost the economy in any significant way.

It's not like people who are suffering in this economy are going to take that $1000 and buy a big-screen TV. They're gonna either put it toward the rent or sock it away in a drawer. Very few people have the resources nowadays to pi$$ away any windfall they stumble upon. Those who do have such resources are already spending.

The rest of us will hang onto it for a rainy day.

Perhaps we're being "selfish" by holding onto our money, and "not helping the economy".

But from my perspective, I have to take care of my family first. And that ain't going smoothly right now.

Will I benefit from an extra $1000? Sure. But after that's gone I'm in the same spot I was in.

Will my grandkids suffer for it? Yep.

Sorry little guys. You're not here to complain right now so you're the chosen recipients of this debt. Better get ready to pay up. It's gonna pinch a bit.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM

From my understanding the $1000 would be broken up into your paycheck-you won't get a $500-1000 check.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
No it won't make a dang difference... I have already said many, many, many, MANY times that Obama's policies just plain stupid... it hurts more than it helps... and this bailout will be an utter failure because he doesn't see beyond his own experience and what his advisers want him to see... If you are a corrupt cement maker, road builder, whatever, now is a good time to cash in from inexperience... he thinks setting up oversight by corrupt friends of his is going to help, he has another thing coming...

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
From my understanding the $1000 would be broken up into your paycheck-you won't get a $500-1000 check.
Oh thanks--I didn't really look into it since it's probably going to change a bunch before it's passed (you know, they have to add a bunch of pay raises for congress or something in there).

Or maybe I'm in denial and just keep hoping it won't happen if I deny its existence lol.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
Quote:
The $500-$1000 tax cut Obama is proposing is not going to change one major underlying impediment to recovery... the housing market. Even people who bought twenty years ago are effected in the form of deflating net worth as a result of the massive foreclosures that are dragging almost everyone down. Who wants to buy anything at all when you've lost 1/3 or more of your net worth in just a year or so in both home equity AND the stock market? Considering that 60%+ of the U.S. owns their own home (I believe that's the statistic), more than likely those people are baring the heaviest burden on the housing collapse (even if they were responsible buyers). I doubt they are going to run out and spend that tax cut when the house across the street just sold for $200K less than their own house is worth (that's discouraging to people). It might help temporarily but it's not going to stop the backslide of the housing market.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Oh thanks--I didn't really look into it since it's probably going to change a bunch before it's passed (you know, they have to add a bunch of pay raises for congress or something in there).

Or maybe I'm in denial and just keep hoping it won't happen if I deny its existence lol.

Yeah and I keep denying that things are just getting worse. I think when I saw hte unemployment rate at 7.2 today-that just woke me up!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I don't know if it's going to work - if the horse is dying make you can flog it into getting up, and maybe getting up will actually help it breathe better and live, but then maybe it's too far gone and hitting it won't accomplish anything.

I think it's worth a try, otherwise we go down fast and land hard, and that could considerably worse consequences than a soft landing. I can't resist one more metaphor:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics