Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,945,479 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has already been written (I haven't read past the first page)

They first charge $50.00 or $75.00 right off. No matter how much or little gas I get. Then a few hours or days they readjust my card to the origional purchase.

This is what they do to "authorize" the pump. If you use a credit card at the pump, they will only authorize $1 and the credit company has to take the "hit" if you don't have enough available to pay for what you pump. If the gas station authorizes $1, then you pump $50 and you only have $25 available and your bank refuses to honor the $50, then the station owner has to go after the thief (which is what someone who goes overdrawn is) and put out more $$ than the $50 he's owed, just to get $50.

As this is something you already know will happen, the fact that it keeps interfering with your account is completely your fault. Withdraw cash and pay with that from now on and consider it a lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,842,447 times
Never give your credit card to the waiter/waitress.

1 camera phone + your card ='s 1 bad day

Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,911,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Oh come on - that's kind of unrealistic, can't pay with cash for everything. Really - the protection against that is to review your credit card bills, and the insurance is that you are only liable up to $50 for theft and most of not all will excuse even that (you do know that right?). Not a bad day - just an inconvenience with replacing credit cards and filling out fraud reports.

The risk and inconvenience of paying with cash outweighs the risk of paying with credit cards.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 AM

939 posts, read 3,387,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

You don't even need a camera phone. Pen and paper work even better.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,891,276 times
I use a CC for everything, and very seldom use the debit car unless absolutely necessary. Using a debit card, the money is immediately taken out of your account, and you have no protection.
If you use the CC, you have 30 days free use of the money, and if a dispute arises with the vendor, the CC company will resolve it, you're not automatically stuck as you would be if using a debit card.
I also monitor my bank account and CC card account on a daily basis, so if something is amiss, I'm on it immediately...

Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh come on - that's kind of unrealistic, can't pay with cash for everything. Really - the protection against that is to review your credit card bills, and the insurance is that you are only liable up to $50 for theft and most of not all will excuse even that (you do know that right?). Not a bad day - just an inconvenience with replacing credit cards and filling out fraud reports.

The risk and inconvenience of paying with cash outweighs the risk of paying with credit cards.
When I got my new debit card with the mastercard logo, it said that the protection where you are out nothing in case of fraud applies to mastercard debit cards too. So using your debit card as a credit card should also protect you.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,950,239 times
Things have changed since this thread was started. I for one only use debit cards, and , my bank says that they will always cover me if the cleared funds are not always in the account. No overdraft fees ever , like you can get with writting checks. These days , many stores do not take checks anymore , and , its a pain standing in line behind an old lady tring to write out a check for 10.00.....PayPal debit cards are the best, you are " protected" for the purchase in several ways. PayPal has higher limits on daily usage also. Paypal is hard to beat , going and coming. I like the system,for buying and receving funds. I never use the pin number. Fact is , you do not need to keep much in your checking account to use PayPal , just keep your account funded...I hate checks....and revolving credit accounts.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM

147 posts, read 627,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
These days , many stores do not take checks anymore , and , its a pain standing in line behind an old lady tring to write out a check for 10.00.....

It’s also a pain waiting while someone fumbles around with different cards trying to get them to work and/or can’t remember their pin.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
1. I have an excellent credit rating from all three agencies (never missed a payment on anything...ever)
2. I am extremely disciplined with how I spend money. (you'd be a believer if you saw my spreadsheet)

I see credit card companies at large as a major problem for several reasons. But primarily they are vampires who prey on the weak willed consumers.
I consider myself a "conscientious objector" to the industry.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

As I wrote in another thread, the only inconvenience to using cash for me is the accumulation of change. My bank does not have storefronts, so I have no other option but to use the change counter at the grocery store, which charges me ~9% for the privilege.

I don't consider there much risk in carrying cash. I'm much more worried about losing my keys and license. A thief could use those to wreak much more havoc in my life than that caused by losing the couple hundred dollars I routinely carry for weekly expenses like restaurant meals, groceries, and the occasional cup of coffee with a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics