Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,814,354 times

Advertisements

I have never had a problem using mine either (it's a Visa Debit card) - I always use it as credit (I honestly don't remember the code if I had to use it as debit). I've never been charged in error (plus I get "points" to use in their reward program). Online however, I would always suggest using a REAL credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,418 times
This got to be your banks problem. I bank with USAA and everytime I pump gas there is only $1 pending until the day the funds are withdrawn and the correct amount comes out. This is if I run it as credit. If I use debit the correct anount comes out right away and my bank never charges any fees for this? I am curious what kind of banks charge you for using debit? That sound really wrong to me. Change bank!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
a sneaky bank thing has happened friend.
most intruments of a bank have now all been turned into intruments of credit.
it might say debt on the card, but the card wont freeze when you hit zero it will keep kicking out money and assign a line of credit to you. much easier to do that than to keep track of your spending.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You are better to use cash, in that case.

Using a debit card has many risks associated with it. Fraudsters have all kinds of ways of getting your debit card and pin numbers --- and they do it because they want cash.

You have a lot more protection with a credit card. It might be worth learning to control your spending!

Ok, I have never heard of anybody having their pin number stolen for their debit cards. Myself however had my credit card stolen and so did my mother in law so as far as safer...I don't think so...

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM

939 posts, read 3,387,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Ok, I have never heard of anybody having their pin number stolen for their debit cards. Myself however had my credit card stolen and so did my mother in law so as far as safer...I don't think so...
It's possible and it happens ALOT.

7-11 breach reveals major ATM vulnerabilities | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Personal Technology | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/ptech/stories/07_02_08dnbusATM.13059f5e.html - broken link)

Thieves skim credit card data at fuel pumps - USATODAY.com

Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You are better to use cash, in that case.

Using a debit card has many risks associated with it. Fraudsters have all kinds of ways of getting your debit card and pin numbers --- and they do it because they want cash.

You have a lot more protection with a credit card. It might be worth learning to control your spending!
I do control my spending. I also buy a lot online since I don't have a convient way to get to stores. I find that when I use my debit card I tend to not overspend because I know the balance and have planned for it.

I also don't like carrying cash around. Much more likely for it to be lost than my card be compromised. I'm on a fixed income. I can't afford the cost of interest on a credit card. If I can't pay for it now, in full, I'll wait.

I check my account daily. I've had a debit card for years...where I lived in the 80's was a test market so since then... and have never had a problem with it being used as a debit card. Online I learned my lesson about companies you've never heard of but have never had a problem with a known company or using paypal either.

I believe too many people have credit cards and spend what they don't have. Even perfectly intelligent people. It's magic. You don't have to be able to pay it back now. Its way too easy to forget that next month the bill will still be waiting for you. We have become conditioned into thinking that credit will save us. No, it will make sure that we never get out of debt unless we as a nation talk financial responsibility. For anyone who can't pay back the balance they build up quickly that is using the scissors.

Rampant spending on credit by people who can't pay it back is one of the things sinking the economy, and will be one of the bubbles. People should be not using their credit cards now, and be paying off what they owe instead. Save for what you want. Use the card only for emergencies where it has to be now. You only need one credit card for that, not a wallet full.

If money is tight, if the job is iffy, if bills are mounting the best way to prevent spending what you don't have is to not be able to. In this current economy its an important consideration to many people who are used to charging and used to be able to pay for it.

Credit card info can be stolen electronically too, and is. And when you sign those paper receipts all your numbers are there. Yes, there is more protection but your information is no more secure.

The worse problem I ever had was with a check. It was run electronically and followed by three more with different sequence numbers. My account had to be closed to clear up the problem. Nothing is absolutely safe.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Credit card info can be stolen electronically too, and is. And when you sign those paper receipts all your numbers are there. Yes, there is more protection but your information is no more secure.
Yes, credit cards can be stolen, but you are only liable for up to $50.

When your debit card number is stolen, you may never see that cash again. What happens is that thieves skim the number and then create fake debit cards, which they use to obtain cash out of an ATM machine. The thieves want cash -- that's their favorite.

You never know where a 3rd party skimmer is. It could anyplace where you slide your card through to make a purchase. At a restaurant, the waiter may be carrying a skimmer in his apron. These skimmers are often the work of organized crime networks. They are very sophisticated and know exactly what they are doing.

You say it's never happened to you before? Well, it only has to happen once and then you go through hell dealing with your bank to try and get your money back. Why take a chance when you can just as easily use a credit card.

Credit cards are great as long as you pay in full at the end of each month to avoid interest charges. I use my Amazon visa and get points, which I apply to purchases on Amazon.

ATMs play bigger role in identity theft (Page 1 of 4)

Woofers

Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Well I just got off the phone with a bookeeper at a Convience/Gas station,again. Again on our bank site they have overcharged my debt card and recharged my debt card. This has happened several time since this summer. I don't agree with when I fill with gas. They first charge $50.00 or $75.00 right off. No matter how much or little gas I get. Then a few hours or days they readjust my card to the origional purchase. BUT, for that time I have the money taken out of my checking account. Thankfully I don't run my account anywhere near the bottom. So this doesn't affect it. But when they don't readjust the origional 50 or 75 that is when I have to call to make them do it. Is this rampant or just here in wyoming? I now have to keep my reciepts for weeks in case I have to show it to some bookeeper at the store. And yes I have to do this from time to time. So far I have always got this fixed but hell, it sure is a problem. And now we have to check our bank accounts online about every other day if not every day. I don't get gas at places that do this twice to me.
I feel for the people that live from paycheck to paycheck and have to pay overcharges on stuff because of things like this,and, they have the money in the bank.Somewhere.
Now,my question. I posed this to a buddy he said to run the debt card as a credit card and they will charge only the amount I spent. No funny movement of money or hassel. Is this possible?
I didn't realize they were still doing that. I remember it being done when debit cards first came out. I think this might be something the gas station is doing, not your bank. Try another station and see if there's any difference.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Many gas stations do this and a notice is usually posted at the pumps.
Supposedly you can avoid the high hold by paying inside (with your debit card) so you can use your PIN
But I notice some pumps have the capability for entering the PIN so I don't know why the difference.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,180,055 times
It is not the banks fault.

Almost every gas station will "pre-authorize" a certain amount before you pump gas. If you use a debit card as a debit, they will almost always do this, usually for an amount of like 75. It should fall off in a couple days, but, in actuality, they are not charging your account that much.

It is to protect the gas station from people just swiping the card and pumping gas that they don't have money for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics