Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,458,820 times

Advertisements

I am thinking with the current state of affairs, it's bringing out the worst in employers. I refer to my job, where we're being threatened on a regular basis with disciplinary action if we do "this," fail to do "that." Normally, I would walk, but don't feel I can.

Anyway, is anyone else seeing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM

8,640 posts, read 9,157,250 times
Not now but I've seen this kind of behavior in previous recessions from certain tyrants. Not all employers do this.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,426,608 times
That's how it used to be when I was growing up. People took their jobs seriously and gave it their all. We used to be afraid of losing our job because they where hard to come by. Now I see so many lazy workers(not you) who don't give a crap about their jobs. They take lots of breaks, talk on their cell phones, go on the internet and basically spend more time trying to avoid working, and then they have the nerve to complain about their jobs. Years ago they all would have been fired. I think a lot of employers need to be stricter.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:45 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,306,448 times
Business owners have a much larger responsibility than any single employee. Just as they must support themselves they must in turn support those that work for them ! And sometimes making demands of employees is part of that responsibility. Some are just less tactful than other...

And yes, lazy workers make that responsibility tougher. The current economic situation will weed out the less productive workers for many businesses !

Old 11-11-2008, 10:47 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,862,425 times
Banks are notoureous for this type of behavior. They give you goals (an estamate of what bank products you need to sell) and a ton of pressure to go with it. If you make your goals they increase them. If you don't they put you on warning. If you continue to be behind in your goals for more than a few months, an employee will be fired. Those who start off meeting their goals tend to burn out in the end. The banks never have to worry about paying retirement benefits because no one ever last that long. Chase, WAMU and Bank of America are know for this type of employer behavior.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Banks are notoureous for this type of behavior. They give you goals (an estamate of what bank products you need to sell) and a ton of pressure to go with it. If you make your goals they increase them. If you don't they put you on warning. If you continue to be behind in your goals for more than a few months, an employee will be fired. Those who start off meeting their goals tend to burn out in the end. The banks never have to worry about paying retirement benefits because no one ever last that long. Chase, WAMU and Bank of America are know for this type of employer behavior.
Funny you should mention banks, but my best employer was a bank. I was always treated well. Now I work in social services, where we are treated like crap! And it's within this social service agency where we are being told to meet our productivity numbers - or else!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 AM

8,640 posts, read 9,157,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Business owners have a much larger responsibility than any single employee. Just as they must support themselves they must in turn support those that work for them ! And sometimes making demands of employees is part of that responsibility. Some are just less tactful than other...

And yes, lazy workers make that responsibility tougher. The current economic situation will weed out the less productive workers for many businesses !
I agree with you except employers do not support me. I receive my income from work I've performed for the employer, that is our agreement, in exchange for my skills my employer compensates me. My family relies on me for support.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree with you except employers do not support me. I receive my income from work I've performed for the employer, that is our agreement, in exchange for my skills my employer compensates me. My family relies on me for support.
Maybe he means "support" as in, let me know what I can do to "support" you in making your numbers, or else!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,032,466 times
Being a Employer I have noticed most of my employees are working much harder. Doing things you had to ask them to do a couple years ago on there own now. Really enjoying it, seems I can get much more done now.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,862,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Funny you should mention banks, but my best employer was a bank. I was always treated well. Now I work in social services, where we are treated like crap! And it's within this social service agency where we are being told to meet our productivity numbers - or else!
I have seen so many people come and go while working for several banks. When I was with WAMU there was a manager which every employee loved. She was released without warning. She and the rest of the branch's employees were all hold over from Dime Savings Bank. She was told she would be training a new manager for a new branch. The truth was she was training her replacement. When they let her go we were shocked. She found work with another bank. About a month later most of her employees went with her to Fleet Bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics