Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Banks are notoureous for this type of behavior. They give you goals (an estamate of what bank products you need to sell) and a ton of pressure to go with it. If you make your goals they increase them. If you don't they put you on warning. If you continue to be behind in your goals for more than a few months, an employee will be fired. Those who start off meeting their goals tend to burn out in the end. The banks never have to worry about paying retirement benefits because no one ever last that long. Chase, WAMU and Bank of America are know for this type of employer behavior.
Big business is a completely different animal. Sort of a slave environment as you point out ! I don't agree with many big business employment models of this sort at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
The employers only take advantage only when the employees don't protect themselves... People should of saved months for "if" they are out of a job... now that they didn't save.. they want to blame their employers.. the employers need the bottom line to keep everyone employed and if you aren't meeting that bottom line, you are a liability... with the recession, people want to keep their job because they saved nothing and the employers know it and they know they HAVE to let people out cause they don't have the funding, that means they will show the liabilities, the door...

Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I am thinking with the current state of affairs, it's bringing out the worst in employers. I refer to my job, where we're being threatened on a regular basis with disciplinary action if we do "this," fail to do "that." Normally, I would walk, but don't feel I can.

Anyway, is anyone else seeing this?
Nope. If you choose to work there, you are not being taken advantage of, because you can walk at any time you choose.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The employers only take advantage only when the employees don't protect themselves... People should of saved months for "if" they are out of a job... now that they didn't save.. they want to blame their employers.. the employers need the bottom line to keep everyone employed and if you aren't meeting that bottom line, you are a liability... with the recession, people want to keep their job because they saved nothing and the employers know it and they know they HAVE to let people out cause they don't have the funding, that means they will show the liabilities, the door...
And how does this justify creepy employers? FYI, I have plenty of months of savings, however, it doesn't mean I am going to quit my job, although if they keep coming out with these policies threatening disciplinary action, I just might. Bottom line, my arse. This is just a way to treat employees like crap due to this poor job market.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Nope. If you choose to work there, you are not being taken advantage of, because you can walk at any time you choose.
How is it you think unions came about?

It was due to employer abuse.

Your statement reminds me of blaming a battered woman for staying.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times
Quote:
I am thinking with the current state of affairs, it's bringing out the worst in employers. I refer to my job, where we're being threatened on a regular basis with disciplinary action if we do "this," fail to do "that." Normally, I would walk, but don't feel I can.

Anyway, is anyone else seeing this?
whatever pressure you're under, the bosses are probably under more. try looking for another job in your spare time and see how that goes.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Big business is a completely different animal. Sort of a slave environment as you point out ! I don't agree with many big business employment models of this sort at all.

i agree. the problem is that the rules are so heavily in favor of the big guys that the little ones stand no chance

Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
whatever pressure you're under, the bosses are probably under more. try looking for another job in your spare time and see how that goes.
Well, my theory is that the bosses screwed up and now we are paying the price, but I look across the land and see of lot of that, so I am certainly not unique. Seems to be the way things are these days. Look at AIG and Bear Stearns and GM and etc.

I haven't been at this place for very long, so I am reluctant to look for another job. And I have no idea how I'd even go on a job interview, as I'm not even allowed to ask for a day off until Dec 1. Forget the fact I've been accruing the time. I can't even ask for time off until then. And I was recently given a disciplinary action for being sick - and this WITH a Dr's note instructing me to stay off work. Ugh.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
How is it you think unions came about?

It was due to employer abuse.

Your statement reminds me of blaming a battered woman for staying.
a battered woman staying empowers the batterer, but a battered woman leaving takes her power with her. there are resources available for people if they choose to change their situation, whether it is work or relationships.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
a battered woman staying empowers the batterer, but a battered woman leaving takes her power with her. there are resources available for people if they choose to change their situation, whether it is work or relationships.
I used to work in a domestic violence shelter. It's not as simple as it seems. There are many reasons women stay and if you've ever lived or worked in a DV shelter, well...but I digress. That poster's comment just brought me back to those days.

Not everyone can just walk off a job, especially with unemployment (and I mean the real numbers). There is the benefits consideration (my case), the paycheck consideration, the bills consideration. I just think employers are taking advantage of the current economic climate to really come down on employees. Least that's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics