Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,860,930 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

There are no car thieves. Just people deliquent on their bills.

Investigators estimate that hundreds of such crimes occurred in the Washington area in the past two years, although the exact number is unclear, and experts predict the number will increase because of the worsening economy. Many offenders have fallen behind on payments to car dealerships. This year, more people are behind on such loans than in nearly two decades.

Funny thing was.. I heard about this first in Iraq. You've got a vehicle. Been shot up a few times. Looking squirrely. What do you do?

"Take it out and torch it." I've also heard of contactors doing that there. They get so much money for what they need (with the padding built in, of course) and they don't need so much because they haven't used it. So, they make a train of vehicles...take them outside the wire....and say "Damn! Insurgents! Torched the trucks!" "Damn! Insurgents!" "Damn!"

There is a lot of waste in Iraq. A lot of waste. I've seen it. I've seen people driving SUV's on base that will never, ever see anything remotely needing an SUV. Because they are the shift lead. I've seen people driving 1/2 mile to go to lunch because the car has A/C.

The life of (some) contractors is very cool.

Then again, I've seen mortars and rockets at breakfast..dinner...and lunch....and at any moment......

... KAPOW!!@! yeah, that arm was attached to you, wasn't it?

Your life is forfeit. So, hey.... whatever man. Get mine. Get out. Ain't that the plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,284,820 times
There was a lake near Dallas where a whole bunch of 'stolen' cars were found. Apparently there was this guy that ran a get rid of your car service and the lake was his hiding spot...until it got full...and the water level dropped due to lack of rain.

I like the thing about using insurgents as an excuse for what happened to your burned up car. Damned insurgents..LOL

Old 10-13-2008, 01:10 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,013,597 times
It would be easier to leave it in the ghetto with the keys in the ignition.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:29 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,944,936 times
without a moral compass you are lost.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,914,209 times
Geeeze man, it's a 70 Ford...! You should almost have it paid for by now......

Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,866,349 times
If your care is a Chrysler it will probably catch fire all on its own.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 PM

262 posts, read 1,043,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
There was a lake near Dallas where a whole bunch of 'stolen' cars were found. Apparently there was this guy that ran a get rid of your car service and the lake was his hiding spot...until it got full...and the water level dropped due to lack of rain.

I like the thing about using insurgents as an excuse for what happened to your burned up car. Damned insurgents..LOL
If 5 cars filled er up, I think that's more of a pond. Also, I never saw anything stating that there was someone running an illegal service like that in this situation.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:06 PM

620 posts, read 2,087,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post

That was Lake Whitney as I heard it, between Waco and Fort Worth.

I took my nephew on a canoe float down the mighty Brazos (LOL) River that flows from Lake Whitney dam. We ran across a late model Cadillac stripped, burned and parked on a little island in the middle of the stream. On talking about it to the locals, I was told of a racket in stolen cars that were ditched (no pun intended) into the lake.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds true if you tell it fast enough.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,284,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
That was Lake Whitney as I heard it, between Waco and Fort Worth.
I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds true if you tell it fast enough.
It's true...saw it on the local news when I lived in FTW. I had no idea where the lake was but for some reason I thought it was near Dallas.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:23 AM

24,459 posts, read 23,152,383 times
I was waiting for car prices to crash. You figure that high gas prices would drive down the prices of big SUVs and witht he credit crunch and unemployment creeping up you'd have car prices plummeting. but they haven't. I was seriously going to buy a late model big SUV with a target price of 30% blue book value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics