Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,747,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
I was at the mall the other day, and at the entrance, there was a large Starbucks shop. Didn't think anything of it.

Then, I walk inside the mall, start walking, and a few hundred feet away, there's a Starbucks stand. I go to the food court, another Starbucks. I counted FIVE Starbucks stores/stands/baristas in this mall, albeit it's a large one (3-4 levels, 1.4 million sq ft). It doesn't surprise me that they need to "downsize".
I vividly remember a few years ago the CEO's plans for success was to over saturate the market with Starbucks to the point in many cases the next one being visible from the store you were presently at.

You wonder how these people end up as CEOs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,880,516 times
This is why Starbucks will fail.

Deb Trevino, a Starbucks spokeswoman, downplayed concerns over new competition. “Any increase in the popularity of coffee is good for us,” she said. “People trade up at some point.”

Urbanite: McDonald's enters Starbucks territory with McCafe | amNY.com | New York City news

Let's rewrite that, and insert some other company name and see what happens in make believe world....

Sandy McBlowhard, a Geneal Motors spokeswoman, downplayed concerns over new competition. “Any increase in the popularity of small, economical cars is good for us,” she said. “People trade up at some point. GM has every car for every niche of the market. Outstanding value and customer service is as good or better than those Asian fellers. ”

Billy Salariman, a Charles Shwab spokesman, downplayed concerns over new competition. “Any increase in the popularity of trading stocks is good for us,” she said. “People trade up and use a full service broker at some point. The advice we give is invaluable. And, generally speaking, our commissions are quite low. What is the name of your firstborn again?”

Samantha Speakeasy, a CMBS spokeswoman, downplayed concerns over new competition. “Any increase in the popularity of hotels is good for us,” she said. “People trade up and use a full mega-swank hotel at some point. The rooms we have and service we give is invaluable. Besaides that, those little, crappy hotels have smelly tourists. We have swimming pools inside a mini Taj Majal & a full service bar/conciergerie and a guy that buffs your feet. Sure, a place to sleep is a place to sleep. But we are So! Much! More!”

Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,306,456 times
Let Starbucks fail. I'm tired of them, to be honest. In my immediate neighborhood, there are 3 within close vicinity. One is a drive thru and it's always packed, while the other 2 seem to be dying a slow death. During their reckless expansion, Starbucks killed off so many smaller, more traditional "mom and pop" type coffee shops that simply could not compete, not because Starbucks undercut them, but because Starbucks became the only place to get coffee, in the eyes of many (clever marketing, of course).

Let's face it...their business model cannot succeed, even if the economy starts to recover by this time next year. Most people are past $4 coffees and the overly expensive 'niche' sandwiches. As a concept, Starbucks is also so 90's, in my opinion. One reason they succeeded in the past was that they offered a place for people to work/go online with their laptops. Now, many people don't even need WiFi anymore to access the internet on their laptops.

If Starbucks fails reinvent itself, cut costs, scale back and offer lower end/cheaper comfort food (such as donuts), Starbucks will be a distant memory of an era of over indulgence and living above our means; a bygone fad (and good riddance).

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 05-03-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 PM

3,086 posts, read 8,062,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I hate Starbucks. There so many better local places to get coffee at, imo. They opened one in the mall here and it didn't last a year. I guess it has one location/25k. people here which is good and these locations seem to do well.
I don't know it seems very popular in SBC. The coffee is quicker at gas stations but isn't worth a dang. Wished I had time to sit in a restaurant and enjoy a cup.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,538,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't know the answer to that. I do know that Starbucks was jamming a lot of locations into very small selling areas in defiance of common sense.

Subway is the very worst about all that. They would sell five franchises in a single office building if they could get away with it.
There are literally 3 Subways within 2 blocks of my school. And a Quizno's. And a Jimmy John's. I realize my school is in a pretty dense area, but I honestly don't know how they all stay in business.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Let Starbucks fail. I'm tired of them, to be honest. In my immediate neighborhood, there are 3 within close vicinity. One is a drive thru and it's always packed, while the other 2 seem to be dying a slow death. During their reckless expansion, Starbucks killed off so many smaller, more traditional "mom and pop" type coffee shops that simply could not compete, not because Starbucks undercut them, but because Starbucks became the only place to get coffee, in the eyes of many (clever marketing, of course).
On the contrary, Starbucks gave a lot of mom-and-pop coffee shops a chance to open in the first place by reviving the "coffee house" concept that had been largely dormant since the beatnik days. A lot of mom-and-pop coffee shops actually opened on the heels of Starbucks' success, hoping to get a piece of the action.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
On the contrary, Starbucks gave a lot of mom-and-pop coffee shops a chance to open in the first place by reviving the "coffee house" concept that had been largely dormant since the beatnik days. A lot of mom-and-pop coffee shops actually opened on the heels of Starbucks' success, hoping to get a piece of the action.
That depends how you look at it:

Starbucks employs unfair tactics against local coffee shops. | Starbucks Union International Supporters | Public Forums | Forums | Starbucks Union

Old 05-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Here's the first sentence of your "source":

"Starbucks eliminates competition through buy-outs, "cluster bombing" tactics, and market cannibalization." In other words, they compete in the marketplace. Cry me a river.

I didn't bother reading past sentence #2.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here's the first sentence of your "source":

"Starbucks eliminates competition through buy-outs, "cluster bombing" tactics, and market cannibalization." In other words, they compete in the marketplace. Cry me a river.

I didn't bother reading past sentence #2.
If you don't like the source, that 'aint my problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,369,166 times
I like SB, it's consistent and I like the taste of the coffee. I don't step foot into a McD. I wouldn't drink their coffee or eat their food at any price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics