Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,164,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik what they are losig sales to is nergy drinks and the like really.
Yes, energy drinks seem to be rather popular with the 25 or so and under group.

Anyhow else find the prices on the energy drinks ridiculous? The manufacturing costs should be around the same for any other soft drink, yet its $1.50 ~$3.00 a can (12~16 oz). I'm surprised there aren't more generics, something has to be stopping the grocery store chains from creating generics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 02:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,126,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Have you seen the recent news about diet sodas possibly being linked to seizures? Chemical cocktail is right.
I say bull poopey! I have been drinking diet pop for over 40 years, and lots of it too.......no problems here! Maybe that is why I am so well preserved. LOL!

Somebody is ALWAYS coming up with another study......if we listened to them all.....we would go INSANE!

For instance, coffee. It's good, it's bad, it's good, it's bad.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I say bull poopey! I have been drinking diet pop for over 40 years, and lots of it too.......no problems here! Maybe that is why I am so well preserved.
And some people smoke for 40 years without problems too, this doesn't mean a thing.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 AM

107,507 posts, read 109,980,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I say bull poopey! I have been drinking diet pop for over 40 years, and lots of it too.......no problems here! Maybe that is why I am so well preserved. LOL!

Somebody is ALWAYS coming up with another study......if we listened to them all.....we would go INSANE!

For instance, coffee. It's good, it's bad, it's good, it's bad.
we never saw any info on that group they tested. although im not over weight i like diet soda better but perhaps they studied the group that may typically drink diet soda namely diabetics , the obese or folks who may not be healthy in the first place.

im not saying the test was flawed but i just dont know who was tested.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,931,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, energy drinks seem to be rather popular with the 25 or so and under group.

Anyhow else find the prices on the energy drinks ridiculous? The manufacturing costs should be around the same for any other soft drink, yet its $1.50 ~$3.00 a can (12~16 oz). I'm surprised there aren't more generics, something has to be stopping the grocery store chains from creating generics.
Aldi has generics of Red Bull (small can) and of larger can energy drinks as well. I haven't had any (a bit caffeine sensitive) but they sure cost a lot less.

I wonder if there are patent issues with energy drinks and their formulas and maybe that's why there are only a small number of private label energy drinks. There are, however, cheaper energy drinks, such as the one canned by the bottler of Faygo and Shasta.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,321,596 times
The real point to be made with this story is that of margin compression. As the cost of input goods ramps, any attempt to pass along those increased costs to our debt-laden, unemployment-plagued consumer base will result in a pronounced drop in demand (driven in this case both by substitution and a reduction in consumption).

This isn't just a soft drink industry problem. Prices of most input commodities have been skyrocketing for several quarters. I think the forward earnings potential of many companies--of whole sectors in fact--is massively overstated as a result. When this reality starts hitting home, the stock market's gonna get interesting.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,772,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
The real point to be made with this story is that of margin compression. As the cost of input goods ramps, any attempt to pass along those increased costs to our debt-laden, unemployment-plagued consumer base will result in a pronounced drop in demand (driven in this case both by substitution and a reduction in consumption).

This isn't just a soft drink industry problem. Prices of most input commodities have been skyrocketing for several quarters. I think the forward earnings potential of many companies--of whole sectors in fact--is massively overstated as a result. When this reality starts hitting home, the stock market's gonna get interesting.
I read an interesting article on just that.
The author talked about price elasticity. Some goods can be priced higher and demand will not drop off. He gave coffee as an example. People will complain but will still buy that bag of coffee each week.
And most manufacturers know their product and how far they can stretch the price before people stop buying it.

Commodity Prices Begin to Filter Through | FINANCIAL SENSE

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM

8,115 posts, read 10,726,430 times
When I was growing up, having a soda was a "treat". Now people drink it as their main beverage; with meals, and throughout the day. A soda has almost as much calories as ice cream. Would we eat ice cream at every meal and throughout the day?

I developed an adversity to soda when I was pregnant with my second child 17 years ago. It just tasted sickenly sweet to me, and I switched to unsweetened seltzer water, or spring water with fresh lemon. I've never gotten my taste for soda back, although I do have a taste for good sweet iced tea sometimes, which can be just as loaded with sugar, as can many juices. Also, many bottled juices are loaded with corn syrup as well.

I am appalled recently noticing the price of name-brand sodas when going down the "junk food" aisle. For what they want for a couple of cans of "pop", I could buy a good steak! Do people not realize they are mostly just corn syrup and water? And why have they just recently started to report that caramel coloring may cause cancer? That has been an ingredient in colas forever, not that I buy into every health scare that comes around.

Maybe Coke should come out with a soda using real sugar. Although, health wise, it's probably not any better, Pepsi has had great success with it's Throwback line.

As far as diet sodas go, I have to suspect that the study that says diet sodas increase appetites must be true. Whenenever I see a very overweight person checking out at the grocery store, if they don't have their carts loaded with regular sodas, they almost ALWAYS have it loaded with diet soda.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,240,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
For what they want for a couple of cans of "pop", I could buy a good steak!
What? Where do you shop, I'm on my way to load up on steaks!

Around here cheap steaks (like maybe sirloins in a family pack) are maybe $4/lb, better cuts (ribeye, ny) are at least $7/lb prepackaged, and anything prime that you pick out from the butcher is at least $12/lb often much more.

Bought in 12 packs name brand sodas are often under $0.30/can, you'd have to buy a live cow to slaughter and butcher to get a steak for anywhere near that price.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
As far as diet sodas go, I have to suspect that the study that says diet sodas increase appetites must be true. Whenenever I see a very overweight person checking out at the grocery store, if they don't have their carts loaded with regular sodas, they almost ALWAYS have it loaded with diet soda.
Or....people that are overweight tend to buy diet soda more than people that aren't overweight. Diet soda in itself doesn't make you magically lose weight after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics