Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,213,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Maybe my taste buds are getting senile with the rest of me, but I don't notice any difference between the real thing and the generic.
There is a very real difference between Pepsi and Coca-Cola, but not between Coca-Cola and generic brands.

I haven't purchased Coca-Cola products in more than 20 years as punishment for their support of the Vietnam War, their constant discrimination against women and minorities in hiring, pay and promotion, and their unethical business practices (and for the latter two they've been repeatedly sued and lost).

I like RC Cola. I haven't drank Pepsi but a few times in the last 10-12 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 AM

78,664 posts, read 60,852,359 times
I do all the grocery shopping and so I actually tend to purchase whatever is on sale for a chunk of my groceries as well as clip coupons etc.

Salmon on sale? Chicken on sale? Guess what I'm cooking up for dinner.

So, Mircea....BRILLIANT posts...especially about price elasticity. 12-pack diet coke at my store is 4.57 right now....NO WAY. (and diet coke is my vice since I don't drink coffee) So, instead I will pick up a single 2-litre or wait for a sale and buy 10 of them.

I'm going to try a generic next time I go to the store.

I hate to guess what % of the price is advertising.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,217,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Salmon on sale? Chicken on sale? Guess what I'm cooking up for dinner.
Yup, and for most meat it doesn't even have to be the month I'm cooking it in.

Freezer + plastic wrap, at any given time I can pull just about any commonly purchased animal flesh out of my freezer that was bought on sale in a family pack for 1/3 the price of just going to the store and buying it that day.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,968,119 times
I quit drinking sodas altogether a few years ago. Now, if I drink a soda my stomach hurts for about 30 minutes afterwards. I can't eat alot of icing either because I'm not use to the large amount of sugar.

I like to fill up my 32oz water bottle and add a sugar-free "instant" packet of different kinds of beverages. You can get a dozen packets (twelve 32oz servings) for about $1.50, and that sure beats paying for soda. It is basically flavored water. My favorite are the green tea packets.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,951,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I quit drinking sodas altogether a few years ago. Now, if I drink a soda my stomach hurts for about 30 minutes afterwards. I can't eat alot of icing either because I'm not use to the large amount of sugar.

I like to fill up my 32oz water bottle and add a sugar-free "instant" packet of different kinds of beverages. You can get a dozen packets (twelve 32oz servings) for about $1.50, and that sure beats paying for soda. It is basically flavored water. My favorite are the green tea packets.

I'm with you. No nutritional value in soda but you do get a chemical cocktail if you drink the diet stuff. It can't be good for you and it costs money too.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 PM

935 posts, read 2,413,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Good. Hopefully the raising of prices of Coke with the falling soda sales will make it so that people start drinking healther things like juice or iced tea.

Iced tea is great.. especially the iced green tea, since it has a light flavor. It takes well to flavoring with fruit, too. Green tea Arnold Palmers
I love tea, though I must admit I'm a bit of a sinner b/c I'm a Southerner who prefers hot tea . I quit drinking soda last May b/c of some medical issues. Occasionally, I feel tempted to drink sodas again, but I always talk myself out of it and go for water instead. I also just read a couple of news stories in which some activist groups want the FDA to ban certain caramel colorings b/c they cause cancer.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,082,358 times
I quit buying Coke and started drinking generic cola years ago because of the price.

At first the generic tastes "funny", but after you get used to it, it tastes just fine.

In fact, I am now so used to the generic cola, when I do drink a Coke, IT tastes "funny".

Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,989,708 times
I thnik what they are losig sales to is nergy drinks and the like really.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,968,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I'm with you. No nutritional value in soda but you do get a chemical cocktail if you drink the diet stuff. It can't be good for you and it costs money too.
Have you seen the recent news about diet sodas possibly being linked to seizures? Chemical cocktail is right.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,564,518 times
Coke just needs to market to Food Stamp folks.

Food Stamps are one of the US growth industries.

But overall, if Coke went bye-bye . . . what's the loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics