Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:35 PM

270 posts, read 571,705 times

Advertisements

peter schiffs latest prediction when harassed to put a number on his doom and gloom,how low will the dow go!!??I dont know but the price of gold will match the dow,somewhere in this downturn.They really have been treating him poorly as of late on these shows,I guess they dont like the truth,did anyone see the RBS (royal bank of scotland)press release saying they expect a collapse in the u.s. banking system by september,others have issued the same warning mainly coming from european sources,many think the depression will be worldwide,just look at the housing bubble,it was a worlwide phenomena as well,were just ahead of the crash curve by maybe 6months to a year,others are calling it The fiat currency collapse,which is again worldwide.I really dont know what to make of it anymore,just be alert I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,283,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
this is going to be worse than the great depression. we'd be there already if it wasn't for amex, visa and mastercard.
I agree it will be as bad if not worse than the Great Depression. Think it will top out the civil war though?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,857,648 times
A schoolbus gets 6-10 miles to the gallon. Who cares?

Football teams care...

Thomasville Times Enterprise - Gridiron gridlock

Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,967,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Airlines are in big trouble already, and if the cost of jet fuel keeps rising, it's just going to get worse. I wouldn't want to be a pilot or a flight attendant now!

The federal reserve is caught between a rock and a hard place. If interest rates are raised, then the housing slump is going to get worse, but inflation is controlled, as well as the sliding value of the dollar. If interest rates are lowered, housing might get a little better, but we'll be paying a lot more for oil with devalued dollars. What a choice!
I would say , go for the rate to be cut ,......one more time. There will be an emergency meeting of the Fed this week. The Administration thinks it can handle inflation , for now , better than a recession. So much depends on the Markets this coming week, we will see.......buy gold !

Old 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,977,038 times
I wouldnt be surprised if oil drops a bit after the election. Maybe next administaration will cool down the moose and goose crowd, and allow expansion of our refining and pipeline systems. Let alone drilling.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if oil drops a bit after the election. Maybe next administaration will cool down the moose and goose crowd, and allow expansion of our refining and pipeline systems. Let alone drilling.
We need a tax on the oil. Should have had it 10 years ago. When gas prices are high , people cut back ,, and , forget about alternative energy. Other countries do it, they live with 9.00 a gallon, and , a lot of that is tax.We need to be weened off oil , period.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
We need a tax on the oil. Should have had it 10 years ago. When gas prices are high , people cut back ,, and , forget about alternative energy. Other countries do it, they live with 9.00 a gallon, and , a lot of that is tax.We need to be weened off oil , period.
Really? Even if it means 25% unemployment? You liberals need to get realistic. We need to get off oil but its not something that can be done overnight. Taxing gas to $9 per gallon is only going to put out of business the millions of retailers, restaurants, and manufacturers as consumers continue to cut back. We can't pour water on America and it magically become Europe. Most people wont give up their McMansion and SUV no matter what the cost of gas. They will just cut back on everything else. $3/gallon is the ideal cost of gas. Thats actually what it was in Europe before the Bush price spike started.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
I would say $5 per gallon. We need to cut back. We overcosume and big box overbuilt and you don't need flights to city X leaving every 10 minutes.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Really? Even if it means 25% unemployment? You liberals need to get realistic. We need to get off oil but its not something that can be done overnight. Taxing gas to $9 per gallon is only going to put out of business the millions of retailers, restaurants, and manufacturers as consumers continue to cut back. We can't pour water on America and it magically become Europe. Most people wont give up their McMansion and SUV no matter what the cost of gas. They will just cut back on everything else. $3/gallon is the ideal cost of gas. Thats actually what it was in Europe before the Bush price spike started.
My point is , that as much as you Right wingers say "no more taxes" , it seems to be the only way to get us off oil. It will take high oil prices , to advance alternative energy development.We have been thru this before , people forget.
It will always take the voice of the people to clean things up , to demand affordable health care , and a healthier environment. Government has its place , as a representer of the people. Big Business will never act in the best interest of the people , when , profits come first. Corporates have no soul , they are an entity , not a person.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
My point is , that as much as you Right wingers say "no more taxes" , it seems to be the only way to get us off oil. It will take high oil prices , to advance alternative energy development.We have been thru this before , people forget.
It will always take the voice of the people to clean things up , to demand affordable health care , and a healthier environment. Government has its place , as a representer of the people. Big Business will never act in the best interest of the people , when , profits come first. Corporates have no soul , they are an entity , not a person.
I bet you're a teenager living at home that doesn't have to worry about this economy. I know that if gas prices keep rising like they have been doing, MUCH of the country will soon be out of work. Yes we need to get off oil, but not if it means economic collapse. Raising taxes in a severe recession like this is a VERY dangerous thing. Consumers are strapped enough as it is, adding more taxes on gasoline will destroy whats left of the economy. You liberals hate chain retailers, but they are a huge part of our economy. Think of all the families that will be affected if they go under. Plus, you want to tax gasoline to $9/gallon to encourge use of alternatives, but as of now, there ARE NO practical alternatives available. When people have another option, we'll talk. Right now, our economy depends on oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics