Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:28 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

I'll betcha collection agents are doing okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
If peak oil is real, can't we expect to see the nationalization of it in the coming years? Global fascism of resources? An anti globalization trend? Wars?

It might be time to purchase a reflux still and buy/convert my vehicle to ethanol. Running whiskey might be a good way to supplement income too. Anyone up for some hooch? Drink away your worries with good ole stump joice.
what do you mean if peak oil is real? Peak Oil is a proven phenomenon. It was proven when America and Baku and some fields in South America peaked.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
If this happens what happens to our 2 Trillion Dollar Travel Industry? Millions of Americans work in the travel and tourism business, what happens to them? Of course as they are put out of work and Airlines and Hotels close the ripple effect on our economy will be incredible.

Can you say ECONOMIC DEPRESSION?
It's called adapt or die. I've done some work associated indirectly with the tourism industry. I've been telling some of those people for about 4 years now that they need to find alternative ways of getting people to their attractions besides automobiles and airplanes. The short-term solution is a very inglorious one--it's called a BUS. Longer term, this country needs to start on an immediate all-out program to revitalize a real national passenger railroad system. We had one, and we--with a total lack of vision--let the taxpayer-subsidized highway system kill it. Now is the time to rebuild good rail passenger service in America. It will be legions cheaper than any other alternative we can come up with, and we need to do it now. Sadly, US political leaders are so disconnected from our transportation history that they can't even talk about it coherently.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:39 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
what do you mean if peak oil is real? Peak Oil is a proven phenomenon. It was proven when America and Baku and some fields in South America peaked.
It could very well just be part of the commodities cycle. Years of cheap oil meant little to no exploration because it wasn't profitable to do so. Now some of the older reserves are finally starting to dry up and demand going through the roof, oil companies are getting their act together and looking for new oil fields.

I find it hard to believe the world is completely tapped, especially since the earth creates oil abiotically every day. Some of these reserve might be deeper and harder to tap, but when oil gets to $200 a barrell, there's going to be some mad investment into ways to get to that hard to get oil. Of course, these DC bureaucrats sure aren't making it easy for oil companies to utilize our own nation's resources.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Of course, these DC bureaucrats sure aren't making it easy for oil companies to utilize our own nation's resources.
Well the caribou is there and we can't harm its habitat.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
It could very well just be part of the commodities cycle. Years of cheap oil meant little to no exploration because it wasn't profitable to do so. Now some of the older reserves are finally starting to dry up and demand going through the roof, oil companies are getting their act together and looking for new oil fields.

I find it hard to believe the world is completely tapped, especially since the earth creates oil abiotically every day. Some of these reserve might be deeper and harder to tap, but when oil gets to $200 a barrell, there's going to be some mad investment into ways to get to that hard to get oil. Of course, these DC bureaucrats sure aren't making it easy for oil companies to utilize our own nation's resources.
ok, i see the problem. You think peak oil means there is no more oil on the planet. That is not what peak oil means. You have peak oil as it relates to individual oil fields in which they start to go into decline. Then you have world peak oil. That is were the easily accessible CHEAP oil is gone. Then what is left is hard to get to oil which will cost a LOT to get to and refine.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:00 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times
This is something that effects almost everyone and all companys. I'd like to start riding my bike to work, it's 6 miles one way. But what about bad weather? It rains almost everyday lately, and the snow makes it impossible. People that could make a difference in the oil problem, don't really feel the pinch yet, because their the ones making $150,000+. Huge amounts of money is being wasted on stupid things like war, when it could be used for more research into advanced transportation. We need a high speed rail network, and solar cars, that the common person can afford.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:10 PM

270 posts, read 570,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I read an article that if this keeps up as many as 70% of all us airlines will either be bankrupt or merged within the next 24 months. Also, as many as 70% of all US markets who are serviced by airlines will cease to receive service!

You have to keep in mind that far less people are traveling, flights are not going out full and with the cost of fuel doubling and higher, there is no way they will all be able to survive in this. Three years ago it costs a boeing 737 about $7,400 in fuel to fly across the US coast to coast, NY to LA. Now it costs $22,600 and rising. Seats are 1/2 full and prices are still about the same. When airlines try and raise prices, nobody flies at all, making it worse. They are trapped in this environment and nothing will help.

The article went on to predict, that airlines will go down one by one, no way around it. Then the few surviving will merge, cut flights and destinations and triple pricing. No more $400 cross country flights. Try $1500 on up with little selection. Welcome to the new America!
Peter Schiff has been predicting this for a long time and all the "experts" laughed in his face,(on every subject) and guess what hes been dead on on all predictions,right now we are staring deppression in the face,its so hard to avoid it at this point,might as well get prepared,I am.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbuyer View Post
Peter Schiff has been predicting this for a long time and all the "experts" laughed in his face,(on every subject) and guess what hes been dead on on all predictions,right now we are staring deppression in the face,its so hard to avoid it at this point,might as well get prepared,I am.
YES!

He was on NPR back in 2003 and he predicted ALL of this. I remember the interviewer asked him "so what should American's invest in to be able to withstand the pending downturn". Well after he stopped laughing he said "homes in Italy". The announcer says "all jokes aside, what looks like a good investment". Then Schiff gets serious and goes "no, seriously, homes in Italy. Its over for America". Then he went into depth about the housing bubble among other things. Boy has he been dead on.

aaaaaaand queue the assist

video (http://www.europac.net/Schiff-FBN-3-14-08_lg.asp - broken link)

Last edited by Wild Style; 06-28-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 09:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
YES!

He was on NPR back in 2003 and he predicted ALL of this. I remember the interviewer asked him "so what should American's invest in to be able to withstand the pending downturn". Well after he stopped laughing he said "homes in Italy". The announcer says "all jokes aside, what looks like a good investment". Then Schiff gets serious and goes "no, seriously, homes in Italy. Its over for America". Then he went into depth about the housing bubble among other things. Boy has he been dead on.

aaaaaaand queue the assist

video (http://www.europac.net/Schiff-FBN-3-14-08_lg.asp - broken link)

Do most people really believe its over for America? After surviving the Civil War, the Great Depression, and 2 world wars, is this the end of our country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics