Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times

Advertisements

The OLD gas thieves that plauged people in the 70s are still around. The methods they used are generally only 2:
1. They stick a hose down your gas tank and siphon out the gas into a container. This is easy to stop with a locking gas cap or a strainer in the gas fill that only allows liquid to pass but blocks a hose (might be a problem if you need to get the gas out for any reason).

2. They go to a gas station and fill up and drive off without paying. A gas station owner that does not make people pay up front is too big a fool to remain in business anyway.

BUT it is the NEW gas thieves you have to keep a close eye on! They are a bit more brazen. Here in Atlanta 2 new trends:

1. You put in a credit card and start to pump and go inside while the gas is pumping. They yank out the hose and either stick it into their car or a container and fill it up while you get donuts and coffee. I would suggest you not leave the spigot unattended (I have done this many times myself but won't anymore).

2. They sneak up under your parked car with a cordless drill and a 5 gallon gas can. They drill a hole into the bottom of your tank and fill the 5 gallon gas can- and then they run off and let the rest of the gas leak out under your car! There is nothing you can do about this. But if you smell gas, check under the car before you get in and start it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 PM

439 posts, read 1,233,019 times
Really there is nothing you can do to prevent the 2nd one. I mean Other than hope some one walks up on them, then they just act likes it their vehicle. People can be dirtballs

Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,015,298 times
It is a shame it has gotten to this.. the days were good when you didnt have to worry about gas caps or the drilling crap..

Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM

159 posts, read 632,734 times
Eventually we will hear about vehicle thefts just for the gasoline. How many 1983 Ford trucks will have a security system in them?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:02 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The OLD gas thieves that plauged people in the 70s are still around. The methods they used are generally only 2:
1. They stick a hose down your gas tank and siphon out the gas into a container. This is easy to stop with a locking gas cap or a strainer in the gas fill that only allows liquid to pass but blocks a hose (might be a problem if you need to get the gas out for any reason).

2. They go to a gas station and fill up and drive off without paying. A gas station owner that does not make people pay up front is too big a fool to remain in business anyway.

BUT it is the NEW gas thieves you have to keep a close eye on! They are a bit more brazen. Here in Atlanta 2 new trends:

1. You put in a credit card and start to pump and go inside while the gas is pumping. They yank out the hose and either stick it into their car or a container and fill it up while you get donuts and coffee. I would suggest you not leave the spigot unattended (I have done this many times myself but won't anymore).

2. They sneak up under your parked car with a cordless drill and a 5 gallon gas can. They drill a hole into the bottom of your tank and fill the 5 gallon gas can- and then they run off and let the rest of the gas leak out under your car! There is nothing you can do about this. But if you smell gas, check under the car before you get in and start it!
Who is so stupid to put their credit card in and put the hose in and than walk away!!! If some one does this, than they are stupid, what if a kid walks up to the car...some people are really asking for trouble. Just use common sense.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 AM

By the way in Europe all the cars have locks on the gastank on the car. It is the same key as you use to open your door, so every car comes with it when you buy them, this because of the oil crisis in the seventies.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,841,412 times
Quote:

I'm in Seattle. At a gas station. A woman is in the store. (This is before gas prices go up..probably like last May or something.) The feller in the store says "Who has the blue car? Do you have a large tank?" The lady had left the gas running ... and it didn't cut off.

She runs outside. He cuts off the gas. She comes back in, and says "I'm not paying for all that." AND "You need to get the HAZMAT people here to clean up that big mess."

He's like "We'll take care of it, ma'am."

She's all like "Well, I'll just wait until they get here."

The dude says "They're here, ma'am." And he grabbed a mop and bucket and started out the door.

Gas evaporates......eventually.

What do you think he did with the mop water?

I bet he turned it over to a HAZMAT team....

Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,221,725 times
Quote:
The OLD 2. They sneak up under your parked car with a cordless drill and a 5 gallon gas can. They drill a hole into the bottom of your tank and fill the 5 gallon gas can- and then they run off and let the rest of the gas leak out under your car! There is nothing you can do about this. But if you smell gas, check under the car before you get in and start it!
This actually happened at a car dealership in Houston on a Sunday when it wsa closed.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Who is so stupid to put their credit card in and put the hose in and than walk away!!! If some one does this, than they are stupid, what if a kid walks up to the car...some people are really asking for trouble. Just use common sense.
It is not stupid to do that. I do it all the time. As long as the car is locked and not running, you don't need to stand there and attend the hose while it fills. I would go in and get my coffee and bagel while the car filled and, when I came out, it was filled and I was ready to go. Lots of people do this at QT. I won't now though.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
It is not stupid to do that. I do it all the time. As long as the car is locked and not running, you don't need to stand there and attend the hose while it fills. I would go in and get my coffee and bagel while the car filled and, when I came out, it was filled and I was ready to go. Lots of people do this at QT. I won't now though.

Isn't that dangerous since it is a hazardous gas...? What about people waiting in line to get gas and you are just standing in line, can't you just get gas and park and get coffee and a bagel...Sorry but if some one takes your gas....IMO it is because you took a stupid dicision. , Not that other should touch your stuff, but still.... just like people who complain their stuff is taken from their unlocked car (overnight). In Europe you get a ticket for not locking your car...if the police notice it....by the way people from Europe lock their cars....otherwise the car will be empty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics