Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 07:49 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
People eating less dairy and meat is better for their health. They do not even have to eat more veg or carbs.
Dairy and lots of protein and fats go a long way towards humans as babies, toddlers, children and teens meeting, " height potential."

Anyway, do you want some board of far away left-wingers deciding what you are allowed to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 09:29 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Dairy and lots of protein and fats go a long way towards humans as babies, toddlers, children and teens meeting, " height potential."

Anyway, do you want some board of far away left-wingers deciding what you are allowed to eat?
What does left wingers deciders have to do with this?

Do babies eat nearly as much as adults? Their bodies and stomachs are a lot smaller. And they eating baby food. You make it sound like there will be no meat or dairy ever again if we dont also produce so much we end up wasting most of it.

And the "height" potential is largely genetics. Do you know how much I ate growing up? My parents owned a restaurant in NYC. I ate like the Son of a Odin. And I am still only 5'9" on a good day. And I ate only fresh meat plus veggies not fast food or junk food.

Plus its not how tall you are. Its how tall you are in comparison to everyone. If the average becomes 4'9" in the future then no one would really care. To them, people being 6'8" seem ridiculous as much as no one nowadays wants to be a 7 footer.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
What does left wingers deciders have to do with this?

Do babies eat nearly as much as adults? Their bodies and stomachs are a lot smaller. And they eating baby food. You make it sound like there will be no meat or dairy ever again if we dont also produce so much we end up wasting most of it.

And the "height" potential is largely genetics. Do you know how much I ate growing up? My parents owned a restaurant in NYC. I ate like the Son of a Odin. And I am still only 5'9" on a good day. And I ate only fresh meat plus veggies not fast food or junk food.

Plus its not how tall you are. Its how tall you are in comparison to everyone. If the average becomes 4'9" in the future then no one would really care. To them, people being 6'8" seem ridiculous as much as no one nowadays wants to be a 7 footer.
Because all of this nonsense, to include "ecological economics", is from the political left.

_______

Everyone has a genetic height potential. To what degree that potential is met has more to do with nutrition than anything else.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:45 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Poorly written piece with no understanding of human nature.

Old 12-15-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Because all of this nonsense, to include "ecological economics", is from the political left.

_______

Everyone has a genetic height potential. To what degree that potential is met has more to do with nutrition than anything else.
So you come in 2in under your max potential. Who cares if you come out to 6'6" instead of 6'8"? As society we dont need to guarantee that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Poorly written piece with no understanding of human nature.
Regardless, its a finite planet you; growth cannot be infinite

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 12-15-2022 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-15-2022, 05:36 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
So you come in 2in under your max potential. Who cares if you come out to 6'6" instead of 6'8"? As society we dont need to guarantee that.
Who cares? The person in question cares! And who exactly is society, to say what ought or ought not to be guaranteed? Next we'll hear that some sort of ghastly sacrifice is going to be required, or else. Or else... what?

Quote:
Regardless, its a finite planet you; growth cannot be infinite
Really? You probably also believe that Malthus was right. Yes, the square footage of earth's surface is physically finite. So what? Man's capacity to innovate and to manage resources is unbounded. There's a big universe out there, whether physicists regard it as being literally infinite or merely very large. The scope of our growth is limited only by our imagination. Or perhaps, by our politics.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Public health people care. Those in areas suffering from significant stunted growth certainly care.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:05 PM

7,765 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Tell me you've never studied economics at the University level without telling me you've never studied economics at the University level:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
So, I know this is a thing in other countries, and I believe it should be for us in the USA, but I just cannot see it happening. Not with Big Business controlling the Government and people blindingly committed to tradition and technology. Still, I would love to have someone here give me some hopeful information.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-04412-x

Old 12-16-2022, 12:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Tell me you've never studied economics at the University level without telling me you've never studied economics at the University level:
University level? Well, yes I guess that's true. Freshman college level, yes.

Just a thought... what these "environmental economists" propose is supply-side economics. They want the supply of goods (the production) to drop significantly and that would FORCE people to demand less. In essence, they want you to consume less by either a) not making enough available or b) ration out a smaller supply.

Anytime I see some quackery like this, I see what the source is and just who the authors are. Sadly, you can't trust The Economist nor the Financial Times any more for your economics info, unless your politics align with theirs which the OP would probably love them. All of the authors are "environmental economists" and the article appears to be not much more than an amalgamation and circle jerk of their previous published works.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Who cares? The person in question cares! And who exactly is society, to say what ought or ought not to be guaranteed? Next we'll hear that some sort of ghastly sacrifice is going to be required, or else. Or else... what?

Really? You probably also believe that Malthus was right. Yes, the square footage of earth's surface is physically finite. So what? Man's capacity to innovate and to manage resources is unbounded. There's a big universe out there, whether physicists regard it as being literally infinite or merely very large. The scope of our growth is limited only by our imagination. Or perhaps, by our politics.
Innovate and manage resources means to do with less. The scope of our imaginary money is limited only by imagination. But it isnt real wealth.

I believe this is thread is about the macros of production. You and the other guy seem to think there will be no food left at all. If you want to play college basketball by all means if you think gorging yourself on more food than you actually need or beyond healthy levels, go ahead. It may be harder, but society does not need to guarantee everyone can easily do it at a whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics