Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,159,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I Drive 100 to 200 Miles a day !!!
Get one of these:

2008 Toyota Yaris

Or even better:

smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

Quote:
How will rationing be maintained? You already have people poking holes in gas tanks for what is still cheap gas. You might have people stealing, shooting, looting for others' ration coupons.
Gas in Europe is very expensive and you don't see a bunch of people stealing it, its not like Europe is crime free. But you don't see many SUVs in Europe either....

Anyhow, I would be surprised if Gas got much above $5 a gallon here. I think people forget there are actually alternatives fuels what will become viable once gas gets that expensive. Actually they are already viable, but the future outlook isn't clear enough to invest billions into infrastructure to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,555,949 times
Real deal is that at $15, rationing will not be needed.

Folks could not afford it, anyway. So no big deal for rationing.

The oil number people say we will mostly stop driving and be bid out of the market between $5 and $10 a gallon. Painful portion is that current farming methods start to lose profitability between $10 and $20 a gallon, even with higher grain prices. You can live without gas for your car. Food is little more critical.

Next project I am trying to put together is a fully electric farm.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,940,951 times
Or this snazzy electric car. Looks great until you see the price tag......

Tesla Motors

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,784,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetway777 View Post
I Drive 100 to 200 Miles a day !!!
I'm SCREWED !!!'Squawk Box' Guest Warns of $12-15-a-Gallon Gas (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080521145247.aspx - broken link)
Change your habits

Old 05-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Get use to it . It will be $5 by the end of the year. Like the last person said, hunker down. And try to move near your work or work near where you live. We ALL are going to be screwed. Think about what groceries will cost when trucks requiring $10/gal or more for diesel fuel to deliver food to the supermarket.
It will not be anywhere near $5 at the end of the year. Prices always go up with the summer driving season in full swing. After Labour Day, prices fall like a rock reaching lows by november. My predictions:

Gas today $3.74
Gas July 4th $4.02
Gas Labour Day $3.95
Gas Election Day $2.70

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Get one of these:

2008 Toyota Yaris

Or even better:

smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

Gas in Europe is very expensive and you don't see a bunch of people stealing it, its not like Europe is crime free. But you don't see many SUVs in Europe either....

Anyhow, I would be surprised if Gas got much above $5 a gallon here. I think people forget there are actually alternatives fuels what will become viable once gas gets that expensive. Actually they are already viable, but the future outlook isn't clear enough to invest billions into infrastructure to do it.
You can also try this:
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,555,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Or this snazzy electric car. Looks great until you see the price tag......

Tesla Motors
mho -- amusing but -- it is a pass-through, over-priced, novelty.

Battery-based rather than grid-based.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, this is kind of depressing and what's more depressing is most of my oil stock was sold off.
Buy electric utility stocks. Think about the reasons why this might be a good move about now and it only makes more sense.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
You have to realise that oil prices are driven my specultion all over the world. University endowment ;retirement funds etc are speculating because it is a hedge now. But that a can be changed by laws becuase many can speculate with out paying actual money.The price is too high now. But alot depends on waht happens in the middle east and any bad news drives up prices.hen there is many other troubled areas. The problem is that their is just noit a surplus of oil produced and countries like china and india are jumpin g in pre cent of usage to drive their expending economies.We wil jsu have to wait ans se and hope the congress make better energy policies.I am sure they will as ressure grows to drill and to satrt a nuclear progrma for the future.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,379,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
mho -- amusing but -- it is a pass-through, over-priced, novelty.

Battery-based rather than grid-based.
what does grid based mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You have to realise that oil prices are driven my specultion all over the world. University endowment ;retirement funds etc are speculating because it is a hedge now. But that a can be changed by laws becuase many can speculate with out paying actual money.The price is too high now. But alot depends on waht happens in the middle east and any bad news drives up prices.hen there is many other troubled areas. The problem is that their is just noit a surplus of oil produced and countries like china and india are jumpin g in pre cent of usage to drive their expending economies.We wil jsu have to wait ans se and hope the congress make better energy policies.I am sure they will as ressure grows to drill and to satrt a nuclear progrma for the future.
speculation is a small part of the equation. You also have increased demand and inability to produce more. Also the weaking of the dollar through increased money supply by our govt. ie inflation. How much of this is speculation and how much is inflation and how much is demand is up in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics