Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,090,339 times

Advertisements

I definely can see gas going that high but it is in the future not now.But since alternative that can make a dent in oil are decades wawy and will be as expensive what does it matter.As supplies of crude can't meet world demand we will be forced to use alternatives at a higher price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 13,398,686 times
To the original poster - this is the conversation my husband and I had last night. What do we do when - not if - price hits $15 a gallon. This is a realty.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,405,308 times
^^

the conclusion of that conversation was?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM

50 posts, read 174,276 times
Not sure if it will actually make a change or not but sure worth the 10 seconds it will take to vote.

American Solutions - Petitions

Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 PM

6,587 posts, read 17,588,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJames View Post
Not sure if it will actually make a change or not but sure worth the 10 seconds it will take to vote.

Sorry, I'm not voting for that. We need to explore alternate forms of energy. Oil is a finite resource; we need to get off that train completely.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,218,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJames View Post

doesn't solve the problem

Old 05-29-2008, 02:42 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,218,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I definely can see gas going that high but it is in the future not now.But since alternative that can make a dent in oil are decades wawy and will be as expensive what does it matter.As supplies of crude can't meet world demand we will be forced to use alternatives at a higher price.
with all due respect texdav everyone seems to be waiting for the miracle of hydrogen, kryptonite etc

the reality is that those technologies are a smokescreen for what really needs to be done eg drive less. walk, cycle, carpool etc 1 day a week. rodeo over monster truck, wwe over drag racing, tour de france over nascar. drive slower. get a smaller car. make sure your tyres are the correct pressure for the road etc.

while you are at it you can also address your household energy consumption. subsidised solar/ geothermal water heaters against full electric boilers. washing line instead of drier, insulation/ shading instead of a bigger air unit. recycle some of your trash. switch the lights/tv/radio/computer/heater/air off when you're done.

you can also address your shopping habits by buying things which were manufactured closer to you. eg buy american over chinese, i assume you're in texas, so texan instead of new york. taking your own packaging to the store instead of using their paper/plastic bags. i take these large crates to the store. easier and quicker to pack and unpack at the store/home etc

now you can use all or any of the above mentioned and some which i haven't. it's not rocket science it just requires a little thought, planning and effort! some of them might even have a positive impact (a little exercise, communicating with friends on your way to work while saving a few bucks and allocating less $ to terrorism etc)

for those of you who want to list every imagineable reason why it would be impossible to do any or all of the above because of your unique situation, please don't. the world has enough problems, time for some solutions.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 AM

58rob

add mass transit to that list.

I saw a show the other night about how UK is setup. Well specifically London and man oh man are they so far ahead of us. They have HUGE bike that are far safer than these narrow @ss lanes we have here in the states. Also Bus Rapid Transit which is a faster high capacity bus system.

NYC has been investigating what many Europeans have done and I think many other cities will need to follow suit.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 AM

78,933 posts, read 61,126,629 times
Sorry, but I have to laugh at this thread...every thread about gas here gets more dire like competing tabloids.

We've had the $4 gas thread, the $6 gas thread....now we are at the $15 dollar gas thread...I now await the $25 gas thread. You realize that if we see $15 gas soon its not because oil has gotten more expensive...but rather that the Dollar has continued to plunge and would be worth about 30 cents canadian in this example. We'll have much much bigger problems if this is the case as pretty much everything will cost 4x as much....not just gas.

So basically, the poster is predicting triple digit inflation.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 AM

^^

Inflation is definitely a big factor in all of this but so is supply and demand. With that said, your right though. We have much bigger problems ahead than just high gas prices if $15 dollars per gallon is realized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics