Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Interesting enough, there's a BP right down the street that is selling gas for $3.17/gallon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
$3.45 this AM in Jersey for regular is what I paid
How many billions did Exxon post in profits for the first quarter with Chevron not to far behind?!?!?
They are one of the largest companies in the world with enormous amounts of invested capital....looking at the sheer dollars of profit and not at a percentage is probably not the best starting point for building a cohesive argument. You may also want to reflect upon if the profit is coming from extraction from established assets or from refining.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,207 times
I heard once, I don't know how true this is, but I heard gas stations make about 1 cents on the gallon? Does anyone really know?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They are one of the largest companies in the world with enormous amounts of invested capital....looking at the sheer dollars of profit and not at a percentage is probably not the best starting point for building a cohesive argument. You may also want to reflect upon if the profit is coming from extraction from established assets or from refining.
liberals don't understand economics. they see big profit numbers posted and think they are getting screwed by "big oil" when in fact it is the government and the banking elite that are screwing us.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
our gas went up today to $3.85..just about 50 miles west of chicago!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
I don't know what I pay in Atlanta but it is not bothering me. I don't have a monster SUV (did once but got rid of it) and I only drive 3.5 miles to the subway station and ride the train the other 14 miles to work.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Over $5.00 here in BC...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/pugbug/cid_32E4571E-B24C-462D-A0A3-D36FE7B.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM

72 posts, read 192,339 times
I don't pay for gas, which is about $4 in CA and $9 in England. I ride the bus. Maybe you should consider doing the same at least once a week.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 AM

72 posts, read 192,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I heard once, I don't know how true this is, but I heard gas stations make about 1 cents on the gallon? Does anyone really know?
I heard it was 3 or 4 cents a gallon which seems more reasonable. Most stations are just a facade for big oil companies who use them to pay attendants coolie wages to push poison into the air. Big oil doesn't want to screw people at the buyer level; they want to screw them at the production and processing levels. But then again, it's all supply and demand. Or is it, since we don't have a real free market.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarski View Post
I heard it was 3 or 4 cents a gallon which seems more reasonable. Most stations are just a facade for big oil companies who use them to pay attendants coolie wages to push poison into the air. Big oil doesn't want to screw people at the buyer level; they want to screw them at the production and processing levels. But then again, it's all supply and demand. Or is it, since we don't have a real free market.
The biggest driver in the price increase of gas is the fact that we IMPORT a lot of our oil and the US Dollar is worth MUCH less than it once was due to our spending and banking etc. If the Dollar was at it's previous strength....gas would be easily <$3 a gallon. Please tell me you understand how exchange rates impact imported goods?

What confuses me is that for large portions of the past 10-20 years gas has been very very cheap in this country. Now with global demand up (google global oil consumption ie) DEMAND and a decreasing available supply of easy to get to oil ie) SUPPLY....and the same oil companies have been around the whole time.

Seriously, the major culprits are our own over-consumption and our fiscal policies and we could do without partisan political conspiracy theories about "Big Oil" which are just used to try to BS the financially illiterate and inumerate types.

I would hope to see more posts supported by facts, logic or education on the topic. I don't wander into the motorcycle forum and start saying Harley's are terrible or opining on the NHL draft....two topics that I haven't a clue about. Let's try to steer away from the Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh type garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics