Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,589,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I know how the future market works, and that's not what I'm proposing.

Current System:
Somebody auctions off their goods, and the bidding is in dollars. A rumor that something might be in short supply will send the bidding higher, so countries like Iran will start problems just to make us pay more for their oil.
The variable in this system is dollars.

I'm talking about reversing the bargaining process, where instead of bidding an increased dollar amount per barrel, the entire US market as one buyer can say "I have $$$ to spend, whoever offers me the most barrels for that amount wins the contract."
The variable in this system is number of barrels

Right now, the Russians are more than happy to help Iran with nukes because that tension props up the price the Russians get for oil. If the Russians and Iranians didn't profit from that tension, what would happen?

My guess is that these countries would stop paying terrorists to blow up pipelines.
Ahhh, you just have it backwards on who is running the game.

Try the micro-version of what you are proposing. Sterlinggirl walks (or pushes car) down to gas station corner.

(you have to keep in mind in this game you are both needy and a debtor, and were it not for daily loans you would be as broke as a street junkie -- not saying that is good, just the way things are for the US, now)

So, you walk into the Shell station and say, "I have ten dollars, how much gas will you sell me?" Shell says, "Read the sign. Go away." So you walk over to Exxon. Same story. And again the same at Citgo. The Mom and Pop store tells you to go away or they will call the Police.

Meanwhile everyone else is driving around your broke down car in the street, paying their gas bill in their own valued currency, or getting rid of their ever more worthless US dollars by dumping it at the gas station, and if not happy with the price, paying and moving along.

Big picture is that you/we are not in the Top of the World seat anymore. That position has been pissed away by morons like Bush/Cheney and their recent priors. We are still tolerated because we have a lot of guns (and bombs, and planes, etc.,) but now are viewed as folks who are bums who even tried to pull off a Home Invasion robbery of a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,819,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Big picture is that you/we are not in the Top of the World seat anymore. That position has been pissed away by morons like Bush/Cheney and their recent priors. We are still tolerated because we have a lot of guns (and bombs, and planes, etc.,) but now are viewed as folks who are bums who even tried to pull off a Home Invasion robbery of a country.
Big picture is that we are still the biggest customer out there, and can still dictate the rules of the game if we decide to do so.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,322,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What if somebody told you to choose between the following options:

1. You can buy all the gas you want at market prices ($4.50 to $5.00 a gallon).

2. You can buy gas for $2.00 a gallon however you will be limited to a ration of 40 gallons a month (about 2 fillups).

Which option do you want?
That all depends, is this per vehicle? If it is, I'd simply buy 3-4 more cars, and choose option 2...

Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,589,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Big picture is that we are still the biggest customer out there, and can still dictate the rules of the game if we decide to do so.
Sort of an amusing thought, I guess. The Titanic should have sent a note to the iceberg -- We are biggest ship on the ocean. Move out of our way. -- That would have worked.

We (the US) cannot control ourselves (else we would not be in this position) let alone control others.

But it always does seem the most out of control really do want to direct and control others. Why do figure things work that way?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:23 AM

702 posts, read 3,016,580 times
That would be easy. Option 1 because I'm paying $8.40 for gas right now and option 1 will be about half price, what a great deal!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,211,392 times
Now, is that 40 gallons per person? If so, I'd take option 2. My usual fillup is 10 gallons and lasts me about a week. 10X4 = 40! Hurray. However, if for some reason I hit the 40 and still need to fillup.. My husband drives a scooter. Like he'll actually use 40 gallons...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,792,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
That would be easy. Option 1 because I'm paying $8.40 for gas right now and option 1 will be about half price, what a great deal!
WOW - where are YOU?? Not is the USA I would guess where we are all compaining about $3.50 -$4.00.

The USA may be the biggest buyer right now but China for one is adding more cars every day. If our economy keeps falling and we keep borrowing money from them it doesn't take much imagination to see what may happen. The days of our being the big bully getting our way is so over. The avarage person is paying dearly and will continue to do so if something doesn't change. What makes me sad is that I haven't heard anything that is going to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics