Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 11:16 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,979,887 times

Advertisements

It's only about 70 Euros a barrel!

See, the talking heads on Fox Biz & CNBC tell me that I don't need to worry about the falling dollar against the Euro unless I actually vacation in Europe or buy imported cheese or wine.

Nothing to see here, move along....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,969,830 times
There are some in Europe saying the Euro will not last as a currency for the EU... the problem is that many of the countries with faltering economies want some control of monetary policy but the stronger countries (mostly Germany) continue to press for tight control and high rates.

A few in Europe have said the smart bet is to begin hoarding dollars and shorting Euros. Apparently change is in the wind.

Expect oil to come off the current peaks for a while anyway.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
There are some in Europe saying the Euro will not last as a currency for the EU... the problem is that many of the countries with faltering economies want some control of monetary policy but the stronger countries (mostly Germany) continue to press for tight control and high rates.

A few in Europe have said the smart bet is to begin hoarding dollars and shorting Euros. Apparently change is in the wind.

Expect oil to come off the current peaks for a while anyway.
Nothing moves up in a straight line. I personally believe oil comes back to 100-110 before making a run to 150 and higher.

All countries are creating inflation. Fiat currencies NEVER work in the end, no matter how high they try to make the tower of Babel. The tower just makes more destruction when it eventually crumbles down.

There is no way I would ever expect the dollar to become more valuable or precious, even in physical form. Even if the dollars foreigners hold doesn't get spent back into the global money supply and thereby driving up bond yields to the moon, severe monetary deflation is almost always proceeded with massive pumping of money in the form of government entitlements to prevent starvation and desperation en masse. The 30's was a stark reminder of this as inflation ran upwards of 30% as FDR and the Fed couldn't get enough of the printing press.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:08 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,276 times
The rate of inflation never went about 13.2% during FDR's administration, and that was in May 1942 as war production was fully ramped up.

Historical Inflation data from 1914 t the present

Old 04-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
The rate of inflation never went about 13.2% during FDR's administration, and that was in May 1942 as war production was fully ramped up.

Historical Inflation data from 1914 t the present
I stand corrected (egg on face). I suppose it was unemployment that was at 30%, but I could've sworn that I saw figures of 30% inflation during the New Deal before. I'm quite shocked that monetary inflation ran that low during the course of the program.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 PM

5,769 posts, read 11,393,006 times
Yes, unemployment during the early and mid 1930s was in the 30 percent range. It varied quite a bit by region, but underemployment was almost as big of a problem. Many people who did manage to have a job earned just barely enough to survive. That was the case for my father's family, he was a teenager in that era living with his widowed mother who had very few job skills. It wasn't until the late 1930s that the private sector of the economy started to re-gain strength and hiring of new workers picked up in substantial numbers to cut unemployment.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,770,219 times
This time will be much worse as in the 30's the US did not have a debt greater than its worth, and personal debt was lower than today. Also ponder the fact that the US was energy-independant and self-sufficient, unlike today when it depends on the rest of the world to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics