Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,641,964 times

Advertisements

CHICAGO — Motorola Inc. bowed to pressure from investors today, announcing a plan to split its struggling cellphone business from other operations to form two separate publicly traded companies.

The widely expected deal comes as the suburban Chicago cellphone maker faces a second straight year of agitation from billionaire investor Carl Icahn, who has become increasingly frustrated with Motorola's eroding phone sales.

Motorola to split into two separate companies (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
First of all, I don't trust Carl Icahn's motives... he is a corporate raider. I suspect he is looking to break up motorola and sell off the pieces.

Second, I think it is good that they spin off handsets because that sector has been dragging down the performance of that entire company for the last 2-3 years now. The stock flippers only would reward the performance of the handset division, while the other part of the business, which was the bread and butter of the operation, was continually making their goals and $$. I know the employees of the other divisions have to be happy about this. 2-way radios, networking, etc. They've been bustin' their tails.

I do think they can turn around their handset unit too. As long as they don't hire another Zander. He devalued the company by selling off units. Which increase the stock market price short term, but eventually devalued the company as a whole.

Moto's strength has historically been in R&D. In the new business climate, all the big corps do is just buy the innovation (i.e. smaller companies). They should get back to that. And get back to making moto a good place to work - i.e. getting talent to want to work there again. It used to be that way.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,641,964 times
I'm wondering if it's good idea to own Motorola stock or not?

John

Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
Well - it is low right now. If you buy, it will be bottom feeding. Luckily, we sold a lot of it when it hit $26 a share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics