Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 12:49 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
At the current rate of rent inflation in any desirable market, within 5 years home ownership will be cheaper than renting. Within 10 years you will be far ahead of the game, and by 15 years the mortgage is retired. The "average break even time" is just a rule of thumb to discourage transients from tying themselves down to home ownership when buying and selling will just cost them money.

Any downturn in the housing market chases all the speculators and nervous nellies off. They move to rentals and the increased rental demand inflates rental rates.
Depending on the rate of rent increases and what they are paying in rent, it may be cheaper to just buy a cheap place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 06:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,505,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Buying a home and protecting yourself from inflation, i.e. Fixing your monthly payment, is the best financial decision most people make.

Seems perverse that those who need most a fixed payment can't have it.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:38 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,620,411 times
Quote:
I am sure when houses where $15k they where saying the same thing, lol.
Actually over most of history rent has not gone up faster than inflation. So no they would not have been saying that, if they understood the nature of fiat currency.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Buying a home and protecting yourself from inflation, i.e. Fixing your monthly payment, is the best financial decision most people make.
For some, it's the best decision, for others, its the worst decision. I would argue that for most it is actually somewhere between the extremes...

Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,641,583 times
Quote:
Except if they have to sell in the first few years and didn't experiance much if any appreciation? Yeah that's a problem

Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,191,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Except if they have to sell in the first few years and didn't experiance much if any appreciation? Yeah that's a problem
At least they have options. I have moved to different states several times and have always owned a home since graduating. Sometimes I did move and rent out the house because of market conditions. Time, patience and smart decisions have cured everything in a positive way.

Now having said that, I am not stupid to think anyone today can do what I did in my situation and I do realize what the young are up against. I think about what I paid for tuition, job market, cost of housing etc... and it was a piece of cake compared to today.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
At least they have options. I have moved to different states several times and have always owned a home since graduating. Sometimes I did move and rent out the house because of market conditions. Time, patience and smart decisions have cured everything in a positive way.

Now having said that, I am not stupid to think anyone today can do what I did in my situation and I do realize what the young are up against. I think about what I paid for tuition, job market, cost of housing etc... and it was a piece of cake compared to today.
If I thought being a long distance LL were so easy and also profitable, I would have already bought a cheap house somewhere in a distant land while stuck living in a HCOL area for grad school.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,505,349 times
Quote:

Funny how everything is cured in a positive way for owners and a negative way for renters.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Renting has always been a better option for transients. You don't buy a home until you are ready to settle in one place.

The exception might be if you are going to move away and come back. My brother was transferred by his company to Europe for 8 years, so he sold a lovely home overlooking Puget Sound. When they transferred him back, the house had doubled in value and he couldn't afford anything comparable. He would have been far ahead of the game to turn it over to a rental management company, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Depending on the rate of rent increases and what they are paying in rent, it may be cheaper to just buy a cheap place.
There is no fixed value for real estate, though construction costs put a price floor under new structures. Generally, "The more you pay the more it's worth." Sale price sets the appraisal price, not the other way around. It's not uncommon to find assets that are undervalued. Part of the trick of home ownership within a budget is identifying when a home is priced too low.

The problem with rent is that it is renegotiated frequently. Rent can be raised annually, or in some cases even more often. A house payment is set on the sale date, assuming you don't get suckered into an ARM. It may cost you more than rent, and typically is does, but rising rents will pass you by until your mortgage looks like an incredible bargain.

You also have the option of fixing the place to match your needs and desires. We all trade money for lifestyle, and home ownership is, in some ways, more flexible than renting a place that belongs to somebody else. In other ways, it's much less flexible. If you are a gypsy, buy a caravan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics