Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Someone a few months ago posted in these forums a homeownership chart showing very high - over 80% - homeownership rates in a number of European countries. Romania was at something like 95 percent - that's like saying renting is merely frictional in nature.

How do those over-80% countries do it, and where did we get our quaint notions that so many people "shouldn't" (be able to) own homes?

e,g, until recently, single women were expected to live with parents until married, single men lived in rooming houses, homes and lots were designed to pose substantial financial hurdles people were required to clear before they could buy.
I believe they track it by head of household... so a unmarried 22 year old woman living with her parents would not be counted... that same 22 year old woman with her own apartment would be counted as a renter.

The homes of my friends made when I was working there are handed down through the generations... some over 500 years...

My friends living in the city often owned their apartments... typically 300 to 400 square feet condos...

The housing standards are much different... people simply do not move around much.

One of my colleagues worked two countries over... he rented a room and only saw his family in their home on weekends...

In other words they kept their home and he went off to work...

Americans expect a lot and often refuse to settle for less...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
How come I never ever ever see people making a connection between illegal immigration and the rent is too damn high? All the political angst over illegals and nobody is connecting them to astronomical rents?

To date I have seen exactly one other person - an investment blogger - make the connection.
The SF Bay Area county of Alameda just had HUD acknowledgment of rising rents...

The Section 8 one bedroom fair market rent scale went from $1235 to $1663.

It story went on to say this was necessary to stop the outward migration of low income residents...

At one time I managed a lot of Section 8 rentals... the program was well run and a partnership to provide housing for those of modest means.

Over the years that has all changed... the biggest is outsourcing of inspectors and no longer covering any damage claims... just about all the Landlord providers I know have left the program... I have not accepted a new Section 8 family since HUD put the burden of the Security Deposit on the Landlord...

It's kind of ironic because my existing 3 bedroom home rentals are LESS than the new HUD standard for 1 bedrooms!!!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess it depends on the town. Our historic district is charming. I loved living there. The only reason I don't live there now is because I need more parking space and would like to add a pool and it's hard to find historic properties in our town that have that much lot room.

I loved the sidewalks, the sense of camaraderie with the neighbors, the parks close by, and living so close to downtown. One day when I want a small yard again, I may move back. It's a beautiful area.
My first house was in a historic district in Ohio, charming vibrant little downtown. We paid $55,000 for a 3 bedroom, 80 year old home in 1985, stood in line for 10.9% interest rates. Now it is valued at about $125,000. Still a desirable area with excellent schools and plenty of jobs. If I decided to move back to Ohio someday, I would go right back to that town. And there are many small towns like this still.

I've lived in 4 states, including California. There are wonderful places to live all over this country. The pay is not that much different, in fact in my case, I got paid more by the same company when I moved out of CA. I just hate to see the hopelessness. Many young families own nice homes at reasonable prices and are living very full lives, outside of the high priced areas.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The SF Bay Area county of Alameda just had HUD acknowledgment of rising rents...

The Section 8 one bedroom fair market rent scale went from $1235 to $1663.

It story went on to say this was necessary to stop the outward migration of low income residents...

At one time I managed a lot of Section 8 rentals... the program was well run and a partnership to provide housing for those of modest means.

Over the years that has all changed... the biggest is outsourcing of inspectors and no longer covering any damage claims... just about all the Landlord providers I know have left the program... I have not accepted a new Section 8 family since HUD put the burden of the Security Deposit on the Landlord...

It's kind of ironic because my existing 3 bedroom home rentals are LESS than the new HUD standard for 1 bedrooms!!!

Did the story say WHO made the decision to oppose outward migration of low income residents? I don't want government dictating where I'm allowed - or can afford - to live.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My first house was in a historic district in Ohio, charming vibrant little downtown. We paid $55,000 for a 3 bedroom, 80 year old home in 1985, stood in line for 10.9% interest rates. Now it is valued at about $125,000. Still a desirable area with excellent schools and plenty of jobs. If I decided to move back to Ohio someday, I would go right back to that town. And there are many small towns like this still.

I've lived in 4 states, including California. There are wonderful places to live all over this country. The pay is not that much different, in fact in my case, I got paid more by the same company when I moved out of CA. I just hate to see the hopelessness. Many young families own nice homes at reasonable prices and are living very full lives, outside of the high priced areas.

I've never seen this quantified but I'd bet that homeowners on average have much higher quality of life than renters.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:08 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
So what? I live in an apartment and would rather live in an apartment. I have no interest in owning property at this time.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
So what? I live in an apartment and would rather live in an apartment. I have no interest in owning property at this time.

Exactly. Renting is a valid life phase option and should always be an option. It shouldn't be a lifetime necessity; that is rent slavery.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:19 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
e,g, until recently, single women were expected to live with parents until married, single men lived in rooming houses, homes and lots were designed to pose substantial financial hurdles people were required to clear before they could buy.
Both my daughters in law lived with their parents until they married my sons. One is a teacher, the other a banker, both have college degrees. One of our sons had already purchased a 4 br home before proposing. I think they were very smart. Out of our 3 daughters, 2 rented and 1 purchased a small house, then sold it for a larger home when they married.

I've never heard of the idea of young men being expected to live in rooming houses. That has a negative connotation.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Did the story say WHO made the decision to oppose outward migration of low income residents? I don't want government dictating where I'm allowed - or can afford - to live.
New Section 8 vouchers in Oakland were largely unused in 2015 because the federal subsidy attached to them was significantly less than the going monthly rent. In October, according to the Oakland Housing Authority, only 19 percent of new voucher recipients had secured housing using the Section 8 system.

Here is a link about the Boost in Low Income Housing Vouchers from another source.

https://oaklandnorth.net/2016/02/12/...ncome-renters/

Old 02-13-2016, 11:35 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Man i did not know that.

So sorry to hear

How you doin' now??
I've got someone that wasn't to play with the "toy's" I want to build. We are closing in a getting past my BS and to a good working relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics